XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Recent auction price

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Recent auction price

The Mecum Auto Auctions is in Anaheim this week. As most people know, these auctions are mainly focused on muscle cars, but often they feature other varieties, including Euro cars.

On its first day (yesterday) it was the turn for a really beautiful XJS to parade on the red carpet. The 1994 convertible, in Jade Green Pearl, looked absolutely stunning and the guys doing the support comments just wouldn't stop praising its beauty. Of course, the indoors lighting always make a car look its very best.

The sad story is that the no-reserve auction only managed to fetch $6,000. OK, we know that the XJS isn't exactly a vintage/collector material, but it is really disappointing to see so many cars with much less appeal fetching 3, 4 and 5 times the money.

Oh well...

Old 11-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,892 Likes on 7,161 Posts

I hear what your saying, but I'm not disappointed at all. I *like* that beautiful Jags can be purchased at such low prices. People of ordinary means can enjoy one of "the finer things in life".

May it ever be thus !

Cheers
DD

Old 11-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 386 Posts

buy yes...afford to repair, no. The sad (or good, making ours worth more lol) thing is that they will slide further towards the scrapyard.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I hear what your saying, but I'm not disappointed at all. I *like* that beautiful Jags can be purchased at such low prices. People of ordinary means can enjoy one of "the finer things in life".

May it ever be thus !

Cheers
DD
Yes, Doug, I see your point; it allows a buyer to get so much for so little. The people who drove out in such a spectacular XJS for $6K must've felt in Heaven. Jeez, I would probably feel the same, even when I already own one.

But, then, we're not alone because I also saw some mid 2000's Merc SL (500 or 550) selling for like $14,000 or so (These are mid $20k cars). I think that the fact that these are auctions with a rather reduced exposure as compared to the vast reach of, say, Auto trader or eBay, etc. it makes for the great prices, especially when the car is auctioned with no reserve.

Cheers,

Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

I've watched many Mecum auctions over the past few years and my impression is that they concentrate on muscle cars and Corvettes, hence, I'd never sell a Jaguar (or any European car) through a Mecum auction. Just my 2 cents...

Old 11-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice, clean, unmolested XJS's with service records will bring prices above $10k+. A friend of mine has a huge collection of Muscle/classic cars and he is buying Jags.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sad thing is no one looks past the reputation. These were one one the first 160+ mph super cars and a vintage model won the "Cannonball Run".

The Jaguar XJ-S (later the Jaguar XJS) was a luxury grand tourer produced by the British manufacturer Jaguar from 1975 to 1996. The XJ-S replaced the E-Type (or XK-E) in September 1975, and was based on the XJ saloon. It had been developed as the XK-F, though it was very different in character from its predecessor. Although it never had quite the same sporting image, the XJ-S was a competent grand tourer, and more aerodynamic than the E-Type.[3] The last XJS was produced on 4 April 1996, by then 115,413 had been produced during a 21-year production life. The model was replaced by the XK8.

In April 1979 a Jaguar XJS driven by Dave Heinz and Dave Yarborough was entered into Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash, widely known simply as the Cannonball Run. They completed the 2,863 miles (4,608 km) from New York to Los Angeles in a record time of 32 hours and 51 minutes, a record that stood for 4 years, until it was beaten by David Diem and Doug Turner in a Ferrari 308. Diem and Turner covered the same distance in 32 hours and 7 minutes on the US Express, an unofficial successor to the Cannonball Run.[13]

Old 11-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Yabbut look at the cars we used to drive. Excellent MGBs under $10K today--their value never went anywhere. I think the TR6's value has actually dropped. This is all thanks to the Miata. And if not just the Miata, then other, "better" cars that are easier to own than the classics. The same is happening to the XJS. Why would anyone want one when the XK8 is so cheap. Who would pay $25K for an XJS when you'll soon seen the XK at that price?

All I know is, my XJS was worth every penny I paid for it. And no matter how hard I have tried over the years with just about everyone who will listen, they just aren't buying old Jaguars.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Let me propose a solution: WE the enthusiasts must take it upon ourselves to mentor younger folk who show any spark of interest. Let's SHOW them the beautiful design and engineering that we love in our Jaguars. TALK about the evolution of car design and how government policy has shaped it and led to the cars sold today.

Challenge of the day: convince a young person to buy a second-hand Jag, any model, and support them with your repair and maintenance knowledge.

Last edited by Mkii250; 11-24-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

Damn, reality can be a bitch!

grin and bear it, like i have said both my jags were given to me (free).

so from my perspective, why would i go out and pay money for one?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

They were giving away V12 Packards in the late 40's, early '50's.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

right on gthawk1,, my father gave away a 1935 Lincoln V12 K model, all aluminum body, somewhere around 1950-51
and my 1st car ,a 1934 ford roadster cost me $20. dollars, in 1949!

a thought about reality, ALL cars are made of the same materials, wether its a Ferrari or a cheap chevy, all made from iron, steel, rubber, fabric or leather, plastic,ETC,etc.

all are just shaped differently, BUT a big difference in cost, yes i'm aware of the production numbers.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mkii250

Challenge of the day: convince a young person to buy a second-hand Jag, any model, and support them with your repair and maintenance knowledge.
That'll be a tough mission today. Kids today have come in to a car environment that's no less than the opposite of what a vintage Jaguar and more so the XJS represent. They're into smaller to mid size sport/sporty cars and they like to add performance and body enhancements, while keeping the cost low. With a little more money, they'll go either after the new Mustangs (preferable with superchargers), new Camaros (ditto) and new Challengers, or three series Bimmers. I constantly attest to this at car shows weekly: Mustang/Camaro/BMW row is young and trendy kids. Jaguar gatherings: grayheads prevail.

I kind of see this phenomenon like I see stereo/sound equipment trends, where it used to be nice amps, even nicer speakers to disperse great highs and lows through the air, whereas today (young audience) it's about apps, i-phones/pad connectivity while listening to tiny headsets in the car.

Totally different mentality, created mostly by the constant change of industrial innovation.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
Damn, reality can be a bitch!

grin and bear it, like i have said both my jags were given to me (free).

so from my perspective, why would i go out and pay money for one?
Let's be honest, you have mentioned several times that your XJS' were both free, but were they?

If I recall, neither were running, so they were towed out? You probably spent a fair amount of time and money getting them to run, much less all of the superb enhancements.

I think your definition of free, is a bit misleading. Many people here do not have your time, patience and skills putting these cars back together. Most of us look for cars with a relatively short list of items to work on, others enjoy the challenge of a longer list, but the ones that must be towed away? The ones with the leather and wood interiors in disrepair? Those are for the rare few. Those deserve to be given away, but they are hardly 'free'.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
I think your definition of free, is a bit misleading. Many people here do not have your time, patience and skills putting these cars back together. Most of us look for cars with a relatively short list of items to work on, others enjoy the challenge of a longer list, but the ones that must be towed away? The ones with the leather and wood interiors in disrepair? Those are for the rare few. Those deserve to be given away, but they are hardly 'free'.
"Free" cars are like "free" pets... often the most expensive one you'll ever see.

I know what I can bill my time at and despite having owned my Jag for a short time I've already "invested" an enormous amount of money without counting the parts I've bought. When I'm "done" it will have cost a pretty penny but the experience of bringing it to that condition will be, truly, "priceless".

I am a glutton for punishment and have owned and worked on a few older cars... I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into with the Jag. Every so often people will discuss buying the cars in order to make a profit which doesn't make sense to me. Until a car becomes exceedingly rare or unless it is incredibly popular a vehicle is simply not an investment. It is either transportation or a passion - sometimes both.

I spend a bunch of time and money on cars and the return isn't financial. For those that are able to profit on these cars, more power to 'em. That hasn't been my experience, nor do I expect that it will be. It is the pure satisfaction - joy, even! - when a tired old beauty is brought back to glory that is my payment.

The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (12-02-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

true enthusiasts work on cars for the love of working of cars not for the profits.
most cars you restore correctly never make money unless they happen to be a very soughtafter car

Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't care about production numbers because I don't believe there are that many clean and maintained xjs's on the road. Well serviced and clean jags bring good prices. You only hear and see about crap sold on eBay , etc.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

OK Guys,i get the point!

yes i agree nothing for free is really free, for example.

my XJS was free, but it cost me $25,000.-30,000. to get where it is today, not counting my time, so it wasnt free.

now explain my 1975 XJ12C coupe, V12 engine , a manual 4 speed trans, and much components were new, like complete rear end overhaul, 4 Factory knock off wire wheels,
new michlien tires, rough interior, and much rust under car.

didnt run , spent about $200. to make it run, actually ran great,

tried out the trick of stopping on the road, put it in 4th gear,engine off, turned the key and away we went,without a shake or stumble(typical 12 cylinder), went all the way to 100mph in just 4th, no shifting!

it had so much rust,after just finishing a rust bucket, didnt want or have space for that again.

advertised it in a car magazine, sold it in 3 days, for $7500. bank check, and it went to Maui. HI. guy said he is going to restore it.
so sometimes free is good!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

chrisbell makes a good point ,,with we are gluttons for punishment",

and that a diplomatic way of saying MASOCHISTE!!!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

shoulda thrown that 4 speed in your car Ron!

Quick Reply: Recent auction price