XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Recent auction price

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

well i'm thinking taking my XJS to the junkyard,or scrape metal place, dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with it, runs great!

but i found an old cigarette but in the rear seat ash tray,and i dont even have a rear seat!!

NAH! that maybe a little to harsh.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Freedom isn't free either, but well worth it!.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

freedom is only a concept or idea, freedom isnt free if you have to work and pay for it!

thats what slaves are for!

Old 11-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

this should probably be in off-topic section!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
That'll be a tough mission today. Kids today have come in to a car environment that's no less than the opposite of what a vintage Jaguar and more so the XJS represent. They're into smaller to mid size sport/sporty cars and they like to add performance and body enhancements, while keeping the cost low.
I'd say that my 17 year old is an exception to that generalization. He has often been elbow deep in Jag grease, spinning wrenches with me on major projects. He's gained an acute appreciation for Jags in general, and the XJS in particular. Because of this, I made him the primary driver of my red 88. He puts around 100 miles a week on the car, driving it back and forth to work. His girlfriend recently got a Honda Civic. After driving it, he was quick to tell her that her car is a soul-less appliance, and that he prefers the XJS to any of the newer cars he's driven, because he feels connected to the road and the experience of driving when he's behind the wheel, unlike when driving newer cars.

Here's a shot of him from last year, when we swapped out rear drive units in the 88.

Yep, he'll be inheriting JagZilla when I'm gone, and I know she'll be in good hands.
Recent auction price-hunter.jpg

Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

That's very cool... Congrats on having a son with good taste. Lol...

Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by JagZilla
I'd say that my 17 year old is an exception to that generalization. He has often been elbow deep in Jag grease, spinning wrenches with me on major projects. He's gained an acute appreciation for Jags in general, and the XJS in particular. Because of this, I made him the primary driver of my red 88. He puts around 100 miles a week on the car, driving it back and forth to work. His girlfriend recently got a Honda Civic. After driving it, he was quick to tell her that her car is a soul-less appliance, and that he prefers the XJS to any of the newer cars he's driven, because he feels connected to the road and the experience of driving when he's behind the wheel, unlike when driving newer cars.

Here's a shot of him from last year, when we swapped out rear drive units in the 88.

Yep, he'll be inheriting JagZilla when I'm gone, and I know she'll be in good hands.
Attachment 64098
Man, you have just painted me green with envy. How lucky you are. I have two daughters and no sons. The only thing close to remotely resemble this was one of my daughter's boy friends (a 6'8" varsity center). Back then both of us had Sterlings, one was his and one my wife's and I had my '77 XJ12. He was really an enthusiast and really loved learning and getting his hands greasy. I remember I installed a new sound system on my wife's Sterling, no different from what I presently have on my two Jags (see gallery) and he went ahead and did a similar install on his car, adding some clever and inspired touches; I could hardly believe it, he was smart, a quick learner.

I enjoyed it while it lasted, but my daughter came up with different plans... and so did he... bummer.

Cheers,

Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by JagZilla
...Here's a shot of him from last year, when we swapped out rear drive units in the 88...
This is simply excellent.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, got to put my 2 cent in! I think there's something to the picture then what we are seeing...example, did someone from the Mecum crew buy the Jag? With the No Reserve on the car, why didnt Mecum start the bidding at a higher price? I watch to many auctions and you can't tell me difference. say a 1965 Shelby Is for sell with a NR on it and we all know that that car value is over $100000 and they start the bidding at $5000. No, they will start the bidding at $100000 or even higher. Why didnt Mecum start the bidding at a higher price. Why didnt the owner bid on his own car. I would not let it go for $6000 when we all know that the interior along is worth more then the $6000 that it sold for. Something we don't know about was going on that auction.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenagarlick
OK, got to put my 2 cent in! I think there's something to the picture then what we are seeing...example, did someone from the Mecum crew buy the Jag? With the No Reserve on the car, why didnt Mecum start the bidding at a higher price? I watch to many auctions and you can't tell me difference. say a 1965 Shelby Is for sell with a NR on it and we all know that that car value is over $100000 and they start the bidding at $5000. No, they will start the bidding at $100000 or even higher. Why didnt Mecum start the bidding at a higher price. Why didnt the owner bid on his own car. I would not let it go for $6000 when we all know that the interior along is worth more then the $6000 that it sold for. Something we don't know about was going on that auction.
Have been reading though this tread (interesting) Maybe they did start at 15k with no takers and worked backwards to that result.(I wasn't there)

What was missing probably was keen XJS buyers at that particular auction,if you weren't going there to buy a Jag it possibly went to some-one that thought "how could you go wrong at that price". For me the XJS will replace the 'E' in the future,or become it's equal.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,892 Likes on 7,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Gippsland
Have been reading though this tread (interesting) Maybe they did start at 15k with no takers and worked backwards to that result.(I wasn't there)

What was missing probably was keen XJS buyers at that particular auction,if you weren't going there to buy a Jag it possibly went to some-one that thought "how could you go wrong at that price". For me the XJS will replace the 'E' in the future,or become it's equal.

Agreed on both possibilities.

Or.....

Maybe the car just wasn't quite as nice as we think. Maybe there was something about it that scared people off? It happens.

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

I hope you're both right about XJS values going up, cuz I have one
I don't expect them to. But I happen to be very bad at making predictions. I'm a bit pessimistic about the future of the ICE. Also I never think about resale value when I buy a car. I pay what feels like good value for the car at that time then try to enjoy it.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

To me every-one that gets scrapped means there is one less of something that can't be replaced.
The less there is of something the more people want one. There are many ICE powered treasures sitting in museums or on show and admired by many as a work of art.

I meant to refer to the style rather than the value. A pristine XJS is a stunning car in my eyes.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I have enjoyed reading through all of this. It does not seem like it was that many years ago that the XJS was not very well accepted by the JAGUAR purists. Seems like the XJS was looked at as the odd and quirky Jag that E-type owners could point to and say how Jaguar had lost its way and why the E was so great.

Well I am happy to say that times are a changing. I do not think that the XJS will ever be the equal to a series 1 or series 2 E type but series 3 coupe is another story. I predict that the time is coming when a late model XJS convertible will be more valuable then a series 3 coupe and I do not think we are that many years away from this happening. The gap is closing quickly.

A few years back I entertained the thought of trading one of my 95 convertibles for a extremely nice low mileage 73 E type coupe that had about 33K orig. always garaged miles. Even though the E had a higher monetary value and seemed like a wise investment on my part, in the end I had to admit that my 95 was not only a better car but I also wanted it more.

Value is a odd thing when related to material things like cars. I think at the end of the day a cars value to a large degree comes down to an emotional response. How a car makes us feel will to a large degree influence how much we are willing to put into that vehicle.

Lucky for us XJS owners owning a XJS is like dating the cool girl in school that no one paid much attention to at the time. Fast forward twenty years later and that cool girl matured very nicely and now every one notices when she enters the party.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

For me, the XJS will replace the E in the future.... Bingo! Agreed. It has all the hooks. A V12, styling, a high price when new, the convertible. Yes, an ICE, in 20 years when everyone is driving a hybrid, an electric, or something else, what do you think a V12 will be worth? Something has to be collectable in the future. I'm not trying to talk my car up to be valuable, but, I have had many cars, and think I'll keep this one because I can't stop thinking about it. What could be better? It will be worth a lot in many years, but who cares if you enjoy it now.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

The XJ-S will replace the "E" in the future??? Is the "E" going somewhere??? Because if it isn't you can count that prophecy out! I love my XJ-S but I'm not about to ponder the XJ-S replacing the "E" I, II or III, it just isn't going to happen......my $.02

Old 12-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

U need to see these cars(or any car for that matter) up close and personal before you put a value on it. Again, I know that clean, low mileage XJS Coupes and Convert's with service records are selling privately for well above $10K+... Many nice cars never make it to the auction.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

They are not selling above 10K in my area at all, 5.3 coupes sell for under 5k regularly and convertables around 5k to 10k, people ask more but seldom get it. Two VERY nice 5.3 convertables sold recently in my area for 6k and my friend in the club bought an extremely nice low milage 94, 6.0 convertable for less then 7K (asking price was $6900, they were originally at 10K but realized that wasn't going to do it)

Here's one up currently..
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4184891004.html

and another..

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4203995039.html

and yet another...
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4176383829.html

Last edited by JTsmks; 12-03-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenagarlick
Why didnt the owner bid on his own car. I would not let it go for $6000 when we all know that the interior along is worth more then the $6000 that it sold for. Something we don't know about was going on that auction.
That's a bad idea. If the owner was going to bid on his own car, he may as well set a reserve. Also, what happens if he won? He'd basically stroke a 20-40% check to Mecum for nothing.

The reason people take their cars and pay astronomical fees to auction houses is because they seem to know what they're doing.

It's like hiring a realtor to list your house at an inflated price. The good realtors will walk away. The good ones tell you what to list your house at.

There's always a high degree of risk at auctions, on both sides of the purchase. The seller doesn't know what they're going to get, and the buyer doesn't get the benefit of a test drive or a shop inspection.

There apparently is not a large market for the XJS. If you do a search, you can wade through decades of posts where people believe prices are starting to go up. Basically, they go up every spring, and then deflate back down in the fall and winter. The prices never seem to change though...ask Jose Canseco.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,892 Likes on 7,161 Posts

I can see an exceptional example going to an exceptional buyer for over $10k.

It's certainly fair to say, though, that XJSs....even really nice ones.... do not routinely change hands in that price range.

How's that?

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: Recent auction price