XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Recent auction price

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a close friend that is very well know in the collector car business and he told me that he has friends with large collections and that they have been buying XJS's... They most likely are buying very nice original unmolested cars with impeccable service records. A lot of XJS's were sold new but not many really nice unmolested and well cared for ones are left.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default values ????

Gentlemen

an interesting debate, but I am rather puzzled by the emphasis on "price" & "value" in money terms.

seems to me that the debate rather misses the point as to why we own an XJS, or any other classic car for that matter, in the first place, particularly since this has nothing to do with monetary value in almost all instances.

From my perspective it is all about automotive art in its total, complex form. It is the sheer beauty of the car, including all its flaws and eccentric design elements, that causes me to own the car and enjoy the exhilarating experience of driving it. The same goes for our VW Karmann Ghia, 911 Porsche and Fiat 124 Spyder.

If it was about the "money" cars would be the last thing I would invest in since there is no way cars can ever compete with stocks & bonds.

No sir, it is all about owning something unique that is sheer joy drive and which makes me feel good.

stop grumbling about values and enjoy the privilege of being the custodian of an object of beauty.

BernardS

The following users liked this post:
TinRoofRusted (12-04-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,975 Likes on 7,210 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I have a close friend that is very well know in the collector car business and he told me that he has friends with large collections and that they have been buying XJS's... They most likely are buying very nice original unmolested cars with impeccable service records. A lot of XJS's were sold new but not many really nice unmolested and well cared for ones are left.

No offence meant here, but, "I have a friend who said he has some friends who...." isn't the most compelling argument

Nobody here has a crystal ball. Who knows what the future may bring.

In the meantime I think we'll be buying nice XJSs for rock bottom prices for quite some time to come.

Ten years ago XJS owners were having the very same discussion we're having here....and nothing has happened to suggest these cars are gonna turn into gold.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Yes, genuine XJS interest is scarce. It basically takes a very special buyer to be in the market looking for an XJS. In fact, it's kind of a "in spite of" shopping approach. Even when it comes to brand new Jaguars, the % of car shoppers who are considering a new Jaguar is a very, very low %, even when compared to the lower sales volume premium brands (Merc, BMW, Audi), Jaguar is still outsold by 25:1 by Merc and BMW and 12:1 by Audi.

Then, the general public here in the US (Cal in particular) tends to identify the XJS with two unpopular concepts (I’ve heard this from day one and I still hear it today). First, is Jaguar’s poor reliability through decades of pre-Ford ownership. Then, there’s the V12 engine bad rep, which was the only engine available to the US market during the whole pre-facelift era. I do realize that V12 owners in this forum think differently, but that view vastly differs with the general public’s reality in regards to Jaguar + V12 (poor gas mileage, engine fires and expensive repairs).

So, the typical XJS shopper has to be a guy who has some kind of previous experience, either with Jaguar in general, or with the XJS in particular, and that makes him rare. In fact, I do not believe there was any other bidder for the Jag that day, other than the guy who won it, but then, Mecum is not the place to sell your Jaguar, as they are mostly about muscle cars. The California auctions (Monterrey, Anaheim) are different in that they include a good number of European cars compared to the midwest.

Cheers,

Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM

You guys are funny... I have always loved Jaguar's and own my XJS because I could not believe I found such a nice one that was cared for like it was part of the family. I have collect cars for over 20 years and I consider these cars a bargain.

I never said these were going to turn into gold but I did say a few car collectors/enthusiast's have been buying clean and unmolested Jags. Why not buy a XJS when u may be able to buy such a beautiful automobile for a relatively low price. Some guys like myself, buy certain cars because we always wanted to own one but could not afford them when we were younger. I guess some posters here do not want people to get interested in these cars because they may go up in price. I would bet there are not that many true unmolested, documented with factory service records, one owner low mileage cars available. These are the only ones that will bring the higher prices. I am sorry but I tend to believe a close friend that has over 60 cars in his collection when he tells me other collectors he knows are adding these cars to their collections. Not bad being able to drive one of the most beautiful cars ever created for less then a used Honda Civic...

Last edited by XJSFan; 12-03-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

You guys are funny... I have always loved Jaguar's and own my XJS because I could not believe I found such a nice one that was cared for like it was part of the family. I have collect cars for over 20 years and I consider these cars a bargain.

A bargain, yes! You never find more car for less money. Not just the XJS but many other Jags as well.

I guess some posters here do not want people to get interested in these cars because they may go up in price.

That would be me

Not bad being able to drive one of the most beautiful cars ever created for less then a used Honda Civic...

Right! Let's try to keep it that way!

Cheers
DD

Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not buy a XJS when u may be able to buy such a beautiful automobile for a relatively low price.
This is right. The cost of a very nice XJS is (relatively) trivial compared to the car you are getting, and the enjoyment to be derived from it. A well cared for XJS is a beautiful piece of machinery. I was thinking about buying an older MG, Triumph, or Jensen Healey, but when I found my XJS in near perfect condition for just over $10k I jumped on it right away. Every time I drive it I have to pinch myself. At Thanksgiving I took my cousin's 87 year old mother-in-law for a drive, and just that alone seemed like it was worth the purchase price. She loved it! The combination of Jaguar luxury, performance, purr, the open top... You just can't beat it!

We XJS owners are a lucky bunch. We have a really amazing automobile that can be driven regularly, delights as a matter of course, and will not depreciate further. There are not a lot of automobiles that can provide that combination of attributes.

I have given some thought to buying a few good specimens and just storing them. I probably will not do that, but I don't think it would be a bad investment.

Regards,

TinRoof

Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I for one do not think for a minute that our discussions on this forum will have any appreciable influence on the XJS market. I mean come on who do you think is camping out on this forum? I do not even see other Jaguar owners who are already on this forum chiming in on our discussions about the XJS very often.

Simply put I purchased a 1995 XJS convertible because it hit almost all the criteria I had set when looking for a special car. I do not own a XJS because I think I will wake up one morning and find out that the XJS all of a sudden tripled in value. I bought a XJS because it is a special car that is hard to debate is an incredible value in today's market.

I will share a few examples of my impression of the value to me of the 1995 XJS convertible. The XJS was produced for 21 model years but it took 13 years until a factory convertible was produced so the convertible XJS had a limited run to begin with. Yes, they produced a fair number of XJS convertibles ( fair number when compared to overall XJS' produced)but most were V-12's. When I was looking at buying an XJS I discovered quickly that the AJ16 4.0L was only available for a year and a half so getting the most reliable XJS was limited to a very short run when compared to the overall production of the XJS.

Another example of the value of the late model XJS convertible in today's market. I would encourage anyone to park 3 cars for 10K or less next to a late model XJS for 10K or less. Compare quality, rarity, style etc. and you will see first hand how this car stacks up.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by TinRoofRusted
... I was thinking about buying an older MG, Triumph, or Jensen Healey, . . . I took my cousin's 87 year old mother-in-law for a drive, and just that alone seemed like it was worth the purchase price.
I can relate. I was looking for a TR3 when I came across my '96 XJS 4.0 for $7,000. Not a show car but a great weekend driver. My wife is not a car person and always said she hated convertibles (to dangerous and windy). I took her out one spring evening for a ride "over the river and through the woods" and she was hooked! She just said "This is great. Real luxury". Seeing her enjoy that ride is worth more to me than how much the car will, or will not, be worth in the future.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

Here’s my 2 cents for what it's worth. A short time ago I did a little research on the number of XJSs still left in the U.S. Out of the 114,573 (?) cars built 55% were exported to the USA, let’s say 63,000 cars. It’s fair to assume that 50% of the 63,000 have been scrapped to date. Now we have 31,500 cars left and out of that 31,500 there are probably 15,750 (50%) we could consider to be “bottom feeders”. So that leaves us with 15,750 “decent” cars. Out of that 15,750 “decent” cars we can assume that only 30% to 35% (4700 to 5500) are what we would consider to be “good” cars. Historically, we can consider the “best” cars to be the ’91 (Ford quality improvements) to ’96 models. Looking at the “best” of the 15,750 cars left, a 20% (3200 primarily V12 cars)survival rate could be considered to be fair and reasonable. To be sure the “very best” models are the ’95 and ’96 models and I wouldn’t think that there are many more 1000 to 1200 of these left if that…? Now out of the approximate 63,000 XJSs exported to the USA only 3200 (5%) are to be considered to be in top condition or otherwise desireable. I have also noticed that “For Sale” ads for the XJS have declined about 20% over the past year. The XJS is the next collectible Jaguar. We won’t get rich on them but we should get most, if not all, of our money back, if not a little extra, when we go to sell.
In the meantime enjoy! And take care of it!

Last edited by Roger95; 12-04-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by petemohr
I can relate. I was looking for a TR3 when I came across my '96 XJS 4.0 for $7,000. Not a show car but a great weekend driver. My wife is not a car person and always said she hated convertibles (to dangerous and windy). I took her out one spring evening for a ride "over the river and through the woods" and she was hooked! She just said "This is great. Real luxury". Seeing her enjoy that ride is worth more to me than how much the car will, or will not, be worth in the future.

Oddly, when I bought my XJS I was actually looking for a TR6 (one of the very few open cars I like).

For reasons I can't explain the XJS just "hit me". To be honest it was never on my "must have" list. Too odd-looking. Suddenly, though, I became quite in love with them.

As much as I wanted the Triumph (I'd still like to own one someday) it was very obvious that an XJS was about four times more automobile for about half the price as a TR6.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

This is a funny old thread, full of pride, love, loyalty and a healthy dose of wishful thinking

To compare the XJS to the E-type and infer that it will follow the same valuation trajectory is wishful at best. (Probably been watching too many shows like Car Chasers and their ilk ) Was the XJS a better car? In my opinion, yes! But the E-type was an iconic car, a car that was called the most beautiful car ever made by Enzo Ferrari himself. A car that is almost always on anyones list as one the most beautiful. That is what drives the price. The XJS has never had that caché and sadly never will.

Will the prices go up some eventually? Sure but IMHO not for many, many years.

Using the criteria of the above posts, I would seem to have one of the most collectible XJS. A single owner (ordered the car new in 1994), low mileage (38k), factory 5 speed (less than 200 sold in US), full service history, fastidiously maintained, all original, won each of the 4 concours I entered this year, yada yada…. And although I'm often asked if I would sell it, I'm under no illusions that I'm going to get my $65k back anytime soon The reason I bought the car was that I have always loved the look from the day I first saw the car in 1975. I had many choices when I bought mine, but I chose the XJS and am happy I did so 19 thoroughly enjoyable years later

Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger95
Now out of the approximate 63,000 XJSs exported to the USA only 3200 (5%) are to be considered to be in top condition or otherwise desireable.

Probably true; sounds about right.

But does scarcity of nice examples translate to the XJS "catching on" in the collector/classic car world? I doubt it.

However, among just us XJS fans (we're a pretty small group, remember) a premium example will always fetch a premium price compared to a ratty example, yes.

That might be the difference. Us versus the mainstream collector car world. The XJS is desirable to us, not them.

In the meantime enjoy! And take care of it

Great advice

Cheers
DD

Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG

Using the criteria of the above posts, I would seem to have one of the most collectible XJS. A single owner (ordered the car new in 1994), low mileage (38k), factory 5 speed (less than 200 sold in US), full service history, fastidiously maintained, all original, won each of the 4 concours I entered this year, yada yada….
I kep tthinking of your and your car as I read this Allan!

Another little point in support of your position, the E-Type looks great in photographs from any angle, and that's how most people get to see them. No photo of the XJS made me want one, but seeing one in person is something special.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchase my 1992 Jag XJS convertible to flip. I was on EBay one day and was looking at one that just sold for $29900. I saved that ad so if anyone one wants to look at that $29900 ad, I'll be glad to post it. I figure if my 1992 XJS convertible sold new for $68500 back in 1992 and If I bring it back to being new of course except for mileage, but if I brought it back to new condition, new paint, new interior, new convertible top, new tires, and I have all maintence records from 1992 to present date and everything on the car works like new (must have radio fixed) then the only difference Would be now I have a 21 years XJS with almost 73000 miles in perfects running condition and in show room condition with all the original manuals, then why couldn't I sell this beauiful XJS for double the money I have invested in it? It sold for $68500 in 1991 with no miles. plus I forgot to mention its a one owner car or should I say, it's been in the same family, titles has been changed from one family member to another. Anyway, since buying my XJS and now knowing a bit more about these cars and selling prices, maybe I picked the wrong car to flip that is if I do flip it. I'm also sure the wife has it her mind that its going to be her car since the car now runs and looks like it came off the show room floor! If I do flip the car, my asking price will be no less then $20000. But......The way things are looking so far and I'm happy with it, this car is going to be the wife's new toy and stay in our family for many of years.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,580 Likes on 1,228 Posts

You should post that ad.

Your car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

I don't know if I ever recall seeing a '92 with over 70,000 miles sell for anything remotely close to $20,000, but I suppose it would be plausible if you found the right person at the right time.

For $20,000, I would assume it would have to be a 6.0, or the AJ16 with something below 50,000 miles with an excellent service history and near perfect exterior.

Who knows?

There was a guy selling 95 XJS' with the supercharged AJ16s and couldn't get $20k for them...

Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Screw all this talk of prospective collector value. My wife constantly reminds me that I have over $30 grand in mine, but, I could care less if their monetary value goes straight down the crapper. They're great cars that speak to a man's soul. They were meant to be admired, well cared for, and driven enthusiastically often.

That's all they ask of us.

It's why I own a couple of them, and it's all REAL car guys should care about.

If you're in it for the money, you'd be better off collecting stamps or something equally as boring.

Last edited by JagZilla; 12-04-2013 at 11:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JagZilla:
Mkii250 (12-04-2013), TinRoofRusted (12-05-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

i'm with Jagzilla on this one, i have so much money in mine,i know i will never get it back.

over $30K, it turns into a labor of love,
i was smitten in 1979, walking along in a Marina parking lot, saw a car with a LONG hood, and said, what is that?, turns out to be a new Jaguar XJS v12.

seems that jags can be possessive.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

I've a TR6 and XJS, paid the same for both in the same year $3800 each....4 times the auto the TR6 is? No way....in pure weight of metal, electrical complexity, number of cyl's...yes but you simply cannot compare the two cars and say one is half the cost and 4 times the car...I wouldn't simply because I own and drive both and paid the same for both and both were in similar clean driving condition. The reason I have both is they were relatively cheap and while I LOVE the driving experience of the XJS coupe, it doesn't compare on the same level to the basic, primal roadster classic Brit feel of the TR6...in that respect the TR6 is 4 times the car the XJS is! With any car bargains are out there, a recent E-type series III 2+2 went from out of my grasp for a mere 5K last week, I snoozed, I lost. XJS's IMHO will never fetch E-type prices and even then TR6's are not actually accelerating in value. I wouldn't part with either unless someone wants to trade me both for an E-type!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by JagZilla
Screw all this talk of prospective collector value. My wife constantly reminds me that I have over $30 grand in mine, but, I could care less if their monetary value goes straight down the crapper. They're great cars that speak to a man's soul. They were meant to be admired, well cared for, and driven enthusiastically often.

That's all they ask of us.

It's why I own a couple of them, and it's all REAL car guys should care about.

If you're in it for the money, you'd be better off collecting stamps or something equally as boring.
I do agree with you. All I was trying to really say was that these cars are fabulous and in my mind are worth much more then what some people sell them for. I would love to drive mine today but Wisconsin weather is horrible and I want this car to last for many more years.

Quick Reply: Recent auction price