XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Remove dash center a/c vent

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 12:19 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Remove dash center a/c vent

Searched the forum but found nothing on removing center A/C vent (1993 XJS Coupe)
What I need to know is the WOOD FACIA "screwed in" or "snaped in" and the same for the PLASTIC VENT
If screw in (or other fastener) how do you get to them to remove?

Always thanks in advance for your help!

Old 05-12-2020, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Snapped in. Get a long, flat knife or something, open the glove box, insert the knife in behind the wood, as close to the two prongs on that side as possible, and gently pry it off.

Prongs on the back.

The plastic vent just sits there, held in by the wood.

Central vents just sit in here, aligned with plastic ridges, but not screwed.
Note locations of prong holes on the left. Yours will be LHD, so mentally flip this image.

The following users liked this post:
afterburner1 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:36 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Thank you. It is so easy when you can see what you are dealing with. I bought a center vent and plan to take its outer vents and move them to the center and from the center vent in the car I plan to take the outer vents and move them to the outer location on the vent I bought. That will give me four controllable vents in a row. Just a fun thing to do!

Went to your web site and was dually impressed. The pictures and cars are stunning. I particularly like the fabricated dash and would have liked to know what the switches were for. I made one for an XJ6 out of teak and It looked great finished in oil, but did not compare to your splendid efforts. I spent an R and R in Tokyo and Nagoya in 1952 from Korea. From your pictures things have changed! All I ever saw were pushcarts, very dilapidated cars and narrow streets. My car is black and beautiful and all original. This modification will be the first and can be remove back to original. Thanks for the removal info; it was appreciated

Last edited by afterburner1; 05-12-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner1
Went to your web site and was dually impressed. The pictures and cars are stunning. I particularly like the fabricated dash and would have liked to know what the switches were for. I made one for an XJ6 out of teak and It looked great finished in oil, but did not compare to your splendid efforts. I spent an R and R in Tokyo and Nagoya in 1952 from Korea. From your pictures things have changed! All I ever saw were pushcarts, very dilapidated cars and narrow streets. My car is black and beautiful and all original. This modification will be the first and can be remove back to original. Thanks for the removal info; it was appreciated
No probs. And thanks for checking out Lady Mary's modest site. I haven't done anything new there for ages. Just too busy really. However, I'm confused by your mention of a "fabricated dash" - which dash are you referring to? It would have to be either one of the ones in a car that isn't mine, or perhaps some other website by mistake. Because mine's bog-standard normal. The only thing I've done is replace the 3-piece central vent with a newer 2-piece vent.
Seeing Tokyo and Nagoya in 1952 would have been impressive. I've only seen photos and old films of those days (and museum exhibits), but yes, things would have been very different indeed. Dramatically so. Way back before the economic recovery really took off, possibly even still while it was under Allied occupation depending on when exactly you were there.