XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rescue's Official Build Thread - 88 XJS V12 Oct 12 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Rescue

If you've Burned out the Brake Pump, then you won't hear it running and trying to prime the system when you turn the Ignition on, also the ABS Light probably won't go out although that could be also due to having the Rear Brake Pads missing and you'll probably wreck the pistons in the Calipers as well
Well the abs light wasnt on and I'm replacing everything in the rear end anyways with remags.

There a lot of noise when u turn on the ignition lol.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Hi Rescue

That noise you hear is probably the Brake Pump trying to build up pressure to prime the System, which is not supposed to be running for more than the recommended 15 Seconds with out a 2 Minute Cool down before you turn the Ignition on again

Hopefully you got lucky and the Brake Pump is still OK but maybe the next time 'The Jaguar Gods won't be with you'

Old 04-04-2020, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Rescue

That noise you hear is probably the Brake Pump trying to build up pressure to prime the System, which is not supposed to be running for more than the recommended 15 Seconds with out a 2 Minute Cool down before you turn the Ignition on again

Hopefully you got lucky and the Brake Pump is still OK but maybe the next time 'The Jaguar Gods won't be with you'
Fingers crossed lol. Thanks for all the input. I know once I get my jag turned around and oriented properly in my garage I'll be dropping the cage. You post is definitely an inspiration.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Hi Rescue

Hopefully I'm not too late but if you try and Start her up or even turn the Ignition on with either the Rear Flexy Cut or the Rear Brake Pads out

Then you will almost Certainly Burn Out The Brake Pump, even if the Front Brakes feel like they are working

If your driveway is level then you would be best to roll her out and then Chock the Wheels so She can't roll away
Hi OB...

After reading your post I'm afraid that I gave Res some disasterous advice... Are you saying that if you clip that soft brake line and COMPLETELY seal the end so it maintains pressure,,, that the pump will continue to run until it burns out? Won't it reach right pressure and then shut off with the hose end sealed? Or, is it because there is air in the line that it will NEVER reach a pressure that will shut down the pump?

Old 04-04-2020, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Hi Jay

No if anything you probably saved the day, as long as the pump was able to shut down soon enough to prevent itself from over heating

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Jay

No if anything you probably saved the day, as long as the pump was able to shut down soon enough to prevent itself from over heating
Shweeeew... Thanks for the reassurance, OB...

I find myself offering "tips" and "advice" lately, then later second guess and doubt myself - which makes me wish I hadn't. Would hate the be the cause of trouble for someone out here... especially a costly or catastrophic piece of bad advice.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Shweeeew... Thanks for the reassurance, OB...

I find myself offering "tips" and "advice" lately, then later second guess and doubt myself - which makes me wish I hadn't. Would hate the be the cause of trouble for someone out here... especially a costly or catastrophic piece of bad advice.
All good jay. No worries. There are companies that rebuild them and I've seen used ones for sale if I need to.

I think my vice grips are holding the line tight. I'm taking a jag day off today. I'll get back at it tomorrow. Next problem is to figure out the shifting.i ordered the vacuum modulator which iirc the previous owner had mentioned there was a tranny shifting issue and they though a line had come off. Hopefully it's an easy 30 dollar fix. Part isnt here til Thrusday at the earliest. So while I wait I'm gonna get the jag back up on the stands and start cleaning the engine bay a little from dirt and debris.

Also wife wants me to build garden boxes so that's gonna eat up a day or too.

I am a man of many talents lol.

Remember if the women dont find ya handsome...they can find you handy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue119:
Dukejag (04-07-2020), JayJagJay (04-05-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

emptied the trunk out. Just puttering. Next partnwont be here til end of week. Trying to avoid yard work haha.

Also for some reason PO needed to replace 2 tires but he put 195/60 on as a replacement. Cheap I guess. Anyways they were on the back while the fronts had the P600 225/60.

So I switched them around the other day so the small tires are on the front and bugge run back. Actually looks good stance wise. They all need replacing anyways once I get to that point down the road.

wife took this pic while I was trying to move it.

Last edited by Rescue119; 04-06-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Old 04-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Got the transmission governor out today it was full of oil lol.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rescue119
Got the transmission governor out today it was full of oil lol.

I've never never touched one...
What's it supposed to look like? Really tho...?

Old 04-07-2020, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

I've never never touched one...
What's it supposed to look like? Really tho...?
It's just like it shows. It slides into a hole on passenger side of transmission. Has a vacumm hose going into it. Regulates the shift points. Not expensive part and know to fail. The membrane inside ruptures. Just held on by a 1/2" bolt and bracket. Took longer to crawl under car then to remove it.

So if you are having shift issues or rough shifts it's an easyauto replace and clear up hopefully the issue. They make adjustable ones so you can change the shift points a little. Just a screw in the middle.

Just google th400 transmission governor.

I forgot Friday is Easter so I hope the part is here on Thursday. If not wont be til next tuesday lol.

Oh well more time on yard work which I did most of this morning til lunch. Then went for a spin on my motorcycle.

Time to bbq some steaks

good pic shows location.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:46 PM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Cool looking garage, nice and tidy, length wise looks like it could be a bit tight?
Hard to tell from this angle.
Man is that one huge fuse box..... does each light bulb get it own breaker?
And only 1 x empty beer bottle!

And I have to ask, why do you have what looks like a cage in the top back corner of your garage?
Love looking in people sheds.
Car looks great!

Old 04-07-2020, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dukejag
Cool looking garage, nice and tidy, length wise looks like it could be a bit tight?
Hard to tell from this angle.
Man is that one huge fuse box..... does each light bulb get it own breaker?
And only 1 x empty beer bottle!

And I have to ask, why do you have what looks like a cage in the top back corner of your garage?
Love looking in people sheds.
Car looks great!
Lol 220 amp fuse panel. New houses have 2. One big on and one small one. I have just the one large one. But it's a 3 bedroom 3 bath house about 2500 sq feet. I dont have power issues lol

my bench behind the jag is 2 feet and I have about 2 feet behind the jag to the bench. I have about 1 ft in front of jag when door closed. So ya it's a little tight.

That is my 240 volt heater I put in to keep the garage above freezing in winter. Hydro goes up but worth it. And when I want to work in there during winter I can crank it and it warms the garage pretty good.

I recycle lol

Cheers

Old 04-07-2020, 04:13 PM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Heater..... I want one!
That is one large 3 bedroom house....
Keep the updates coming, really enjoying them.!!!

Old 04-07-2020, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rescue119
It's just like it shows. It slides into a hole on passenger side of transmission. Has a vacumm hose going into it. Regulates the shift points. Not expensive part and know to fail. The membrane inside ruptures. Just held on by a 1/2" bolt and bracket. Took longer to crawl under car then to remove it.

So if you are having shift issues or rough shifts it's an easyauto replace and clear up hopefully the issue. They make adjustable ones so you can change the shift points a little. Just a screw in the middle.

Just google th400 transmission governor.

I forgot Friday is Easter so I hope the part is here on Thursday. If not wont be til next tuesday lol.

Oh well more time on yard work which I did most of this morning til lunch. Then went for a spin on my motorcycle.

Time to bbq some steaks

good pic shows location.

Oh. That's the vac modulator... Not the governor...
That's why I was a little confused at the pic on the bench.

Governor is under a plate a bit further back on the trans towards the rear of the car. Looks like this.

​​

Last edited by JayJagJay; 04-07-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Oh. That's the vac modulator... Not the governor...
That's why I was a little confused at the pic on the bench.

Governor is under a place further back on the trans towards the rear of the car. Looks like this.

​​
Oops my bad was typing with greasy hands. But you knew what I meant lol.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Rescue
The vac pipe that goes from the modulator to the A bank vac takeoff is well worth renewing with a silicone rather than ordinary vac tube. The OEM tube deteriorates, the plastic 90 degree bend at the modulator end fails as well, and is best replaced with a metal one. When i chnaged my vac tube for a new silicone one during my rebuild, the change it made to the shifts was very noticeable; much more responsive to throttle position and crisp.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Rescue
The vac pipe that goes from the modulator to the A bank vac takeoff is well worth renewing with a silicone rather than ordinary vac tube. The OEM tube deteriorates, the plastic 90 degree bend at the modulator end fails as well, and is best replaced with a metal one. When i chnaged my vac tube for a new silicone one during my rebuild, the change it made to the shifts was very noticeable; much more responsive to throttle position and crisp.
The plan is during winter to replace everything. Hoses, fuel injectors everything I can remove and get it in the engine compartment. Basically I want to rebuild the upper engine. I'll have the front bumper off since the rad needs to be redone

thanks for the advice.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

New lug nutz came in. Fit perfect. Not gonna use em for awhile but glad I found a set. And were on sale.

Quick Reply: Rescue's Official Build Thread - 88 XJS V12 Oct 12 2019