XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Restomod Jaguar XJS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018 | 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hope I'm not derailing the thread by getting hung up on a single detail, but it sounds like everyone participating wants some kind of ABS.

So ICS, it's possible to retrofit ABS to a car? I had no idea. So how long until we can do traction control as well?

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018 | 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

I believe it would take an automotive electrical genius, to integrate modern ABS and Traction control, to our XJS's. Then you have the problem of all the tone rings for the wheels not to mention the sensors, mounts, etc. so probably best left to the Guy with pockets full of money, and more time then sense. Maybe possible but definitely not practical.

Jack

Flint Ironstag (02-13-2018)
Old 02-10-2018 | 03:11 AM

OK, so I've been thinking about this for a few days now. Some possibilities are really out there (bottomless budget), but others could be do-able, with a modicum of talent, desire, and a reasonable budget (I probably don't qualify for any of those). But assuming I had some funds and some time:

I'd start with a '91. The reason for that is simple: I've always liked the way the '91 rear end looks far more than the facelift. That's just a personal opinion. I would agonize for days over coupe/convertible. I may end up doing a shooting break, as has been posted here before. If I did that, I'd have to use it as a shooting break, so maybe the convertible is a better call. I don't know how to train upland game dogs, and that's a whole different life-altering hobby.

A lot of work would go into suspension tuning. Outboard or inboard brakes? I know the pros/cons to both. You'll probably need to go outboard to fit larger rotors and Brembo four piston calipers. But inboards are classic. Table that discussion. Tuning the suspension is a good time to adjust things to fit 17 inch wheels. Yes, I know the temptation (and technology) is there to go larger... but at some point you have more tire than wheel. I like the way they pulled it off with the Eagle Spyder GT. I've seen photos of those with both "regular" wheels and "spoked" wheels. Perhaps the spoked is more of an E type thing, but somewhere there's a good answer that doesn't look like it belongs on a space ship. KWE has 16 and 17 inch Pepperpots as well, still not sure how I feel about those.

LED lights... somehow put in to "facelift style" lozenges. That might be difficult, need to think about that. Other body work, well... On the one hand, you could "smooth" things (see previous comments re: Eagle Spyder GT). On the other, I like the idea of leaving things relatively stock, so that from a bit of a distance, no one knows what you have, until they walk up. Have to play with that. Any changes would be subtle. There would be vents in the side fenders to let heat escape when driving. I need to figure out something for hood louvers to let out heat when parked. Let me think on that.

I understand the "modern" fetish with paddle shifters. I personally don't like them. Porsche has been quoted recently as saying the only reason manual transmissions are still being made by Porsche is that people want them. Put me in that bucket. Little skills in life matter. A well made cup of coffee. A perfectly buttered piece of toast. Nailing an apex with a perfect downshift. These things are important. Make mine a six speed. Oh, and that 2.88 rear end just won't do. 3.54 makes so much more sense. I was going to say "keep the positraction", but wonder if you can't find a Torsen/Gleason rear end. Wait, we've said reasonable budget. Stick with a Dana.

Engine: Hmm. V-12. Must. If I wanted a GT car with a V-8, I would have bought a 928. Which V-12? The Aston is more "modern", the Jag more traditional. Decisions... I'm going to stick with the Jag for now, but could be talked out of it.

That said, there are serious issues that need to be addressed, and while we're on a budget, it's not a British Leyland type of budget. Let's jump right to one of the later ones made. I was going to say "6.0 liter", but that's just the start. There's no replacement for displacement. I do want the XJ12 6.0 with the coil on plug ignition. That solves the Marelli/Lucas discussion right there. Electric cooling fans, aluminum radiator. Lots-o-research and programming on the Fuel Injection system. While you've cleaned things up in there, modern AC and cruise control.

The interior is where we can have some degree of fun. If a coupe, then working buttress windows. I actually like the fact that the windscreen is not a modern "cab forward" design with high rake. Aerodynamics be damned: The F-4 Phantom proved that even a brick will go Mach 2.2 if you strap a big enough engine to it. Leave that, but work on gaskets.

Update the dash. Use green LEDs. Yes, I said green. It is a Jag, right? Add a HUD.
Modern HVAC. Temp control for each side. Double DIN radio so that you can have a nice nav system. Integrate the nav with the HUD. I'll let the stereo guys figure out amps and speakers. Keep the wood panels. I like elm, but walnut works. Better (supportive) seats. One can go a little crazy in here, if one wants, but remember, it's a GT, not a boudoir.

Oh, I almost forgot. Replace the entire wiring harness. Yes, the whole thing. While you're at it, step up the wire sizes by at least two gauges. Yes, you've added some weight. That's not an area where weight savings is that important. We have 40 years of history with these things. We know where most shorts, loose grounds, and dirty relays are. Fix those while you have the chance.

Maybe that's not really a resto-mod. But that's what I'd do. Inspiration is from cars like this:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/cla...-modern-hearts

The following 2 users liked this post by Edelweiss:
Flint Ironstag (02-13-2018), Forcedair1 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-10-2018 | 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
So ICS, it's possible to retrofit ABS to a car? I had no idea. So how long until we can do traction control as well?
Its' been done many times. See this thread. Post #10 talks about the results.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-works-84536/

As for traction control...there are aftermarket options. It's also easily doable on a 94/95 Chevrolet LT1 conversion. This ABS system had ASR or "Acceleration Slip Regulation". Since this system is mostly stand alone and considered "Non-Integrated" it may be able to be used with any ECM. This type of system works by applying the brakes to individual wheels and/or interrupting the throttle cable depending on conditions. This system was found on other marks in an around 92 to 97 like BMWs as well.

As for my Aston Martin V12 project, the traction controller and abs pump could come from a similar Ford model if practical but that piece of the puzzle is a long way off. I might skip TC all together as the best traction control is a proper set of tires and deliberative use of the right foot.

Last edited by icsamerica; 02-10-2018 at 11:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by icsamerica:
FerrariGuy (02-17-2018), Flint Ironstag (02-13-2018), ronbros (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018 | 09:23 PM

I have been dreaming of doing a XJS resto-mod project for some time. I have the skill set to pull it off but do not have the space or time needed. I will share some of my vision of the perfect XJS look. Not so concerned with engine choice etc. at this point as I would start with the perfect look first and work out the other details as I go. I would most likely go with a F-type V8 with a donor car so I could rob all the needed wiring and computers etc.

First I have always felt that the coupe version of the XJS is the perfect platform for my vision. This is saying something for me to admit this since I am a convertible owner and collector but my vision works perfectly with the coupe and not the convertible.

Now here is the twist in my vision : I love the face lift tail lamps on my '95 convertibles but I have never been a big fan of them on the face lift coupe -this is just a personal opinion but to my eye the pre face lift coupes always looked right with the older style tail lights as does the face lift tail lamps on the convertible body.

I know why the coupe is the right platform for my vision and that is because it looks balanced when you widen the quarter panels to account for wider rear wheels and a lower stance. The XJS race cars that were lowered and widened have always looked the most balanced so I would work from that only incorporate the look to be smoother and modern.

Here is a you tube video of a XJS that is heading the right direction for my vision :

The key is to utilize the lower profile bumpers and rocker mouldings shown on this car as it gives a clean way to make the XJS look more modern and visually bring the car down.

Here is another example of the direction I would be headed for visually, tho not as drastic so that the car could be driven on today's highways without any issues :

Attached Thumbnails Restomod Jaguar XJS-dd200021-4e0d-469f-82be-edfea4395142.jpg  
Old 02-11-2018 | 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

not really a restomod but far from stock !

gets alot of admirers when at shows or anyplace i park it!

has many mods mostly GM stuff, Corvette 4 speed trans. aluminum drivshaft ,GM HD joints GM/Jeep rear gears, and suspension mods

BMW seats , ENKIE alloy wheels ,295-18 KDWs. wide body flares steel, no fiber stuff, Wilwood brakes,.

most under hood electrics GM, alt.& starter, relays, custom fuel system(no rust).

notice RHD.

Attached Thumbnails Restomod Jaguar XJS-20170911_143023-1-.jpg  

Last edited by ronbros; 02-11-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2018 | 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ronbros
not really a restomod but far from stock !

gets alot of admirers when at shows or anyplace i park it!

has many mods mostly GM stuff, Corvette 4 speed trans. aluminum drivshaft ,GM HD joints GM/Jeep rear gears, and suspension mods

BMW seats , ENKIE alloy wheels ,295-18 KDWs. wide body flares steel, no fiber stuff, Wilwood brakes,.

most under hood electrics GM, alt.& starter, relays, custom fuel system(no rust).

notice RHD.

ronbros (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018 | 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Ron, here's another chance for ya!! Wrecked V10 TDI Touareg @ $4k and change currently

It starts and runs LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Volksw...daZnM-&vxp=mtr

ronbros (02-13-2018)
Old 02-16-2018 | 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by macdoesit

some pix

Attached Thumbnails Restomod Jaguar XJS-20170822_110012.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-20140910_154753.jpeg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-dscn8781.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-dscn8782.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-dscn8692.jpg  

Restomod Jaguar XJS-dscn8691.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-dscn8545.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-center-consol-j-bond-system-004.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-corvair-jag-brakes-003.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-20171129_114010-2-.jpg  

Old 02-16-2018 | 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Now that is nice.

Old 02-21-2018 | 01:43 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Edelweiss
OK, so I've been thinking about this for a few days now. Some possibilities are really out there (bottomless budget), but others could be do-able, with a modicum of talent, desire, and a reasonable budget (I probably don't qualify for any of those). But assuming I had some funds and some time:

I'd start with a '91. The reason for that is simple: I've always liked the way the '91 rear end looks far more than the facelift. That's just a personal opinion. I would agonize for days over coupe/convertible. I may end up doing a shooting break, as has been posted here before. If I did that, I'd have to use it as a shooting break, so maybe the convertible is a better call. I don't know how to train upland game dogs, and that's a whole different life-altering hobby.

A lot of work would go into suspension tuning. Outboard or inboard brakes? I know the pros/cons to both. You'll probably need to go outboard to fit larger rotors and Brembo four piston calipers. But inboards are classic. Table that discussion. Tuning the suspension is a good time to adjust things to fit 17 inch wheels. Yes, I know the temptation (and technology) is there to go larger... but at some point you have more tire than wheel. I like the way they pulled it off with the Eagle Spyder GT. I've seen photos of those with both "regular" wheels and "spoked" wheels. Perhaps the spoked is more of an E type thing, but somewhere there's a good answer that doesn't look like it belongs on a space ship. KWE has 16 and 17 inch Pepperpots as well, still not sure how I feel about those.

LED lights... somehow put in to "facelift style" lozenges. That might be difficult, need to think about that. Other body work, well... On the one hand, you could "smooth" things (see previous comments re: Eagle Spyder GT). On the other, I like the idea of leaving things relatively stock, so that from a bit of a distance, no one knows what you have, until they walk up. Have to play with that. Any changes would be subtle. There would be vents in the side fenders to let heat escape when driving. I need to figure out something for hood louvers to let out heat when parked. Let me think on that.

I understand the "modern" fetish with paddle shifters. I personally don't like them. Porsche has been quoted recently as saying the only reason manual transmissions are still being made by Porsche is that people want them. Put me in that bucket. Little skills in life matter. A well made cup of coffee. A perfectly buttered piece of toast. Nailing an apex with a perfect downshift. These things are important. Make mine a six speed. Oh, and that 2.88 rear end just won't do. 3.54 makes so much more sense. I was going to say "keep the positraction", but wonder if you can't find a Torsen/Gleason rear end. Wait, we've said reasonable budget. Stick with a Dana.

Engine: Hmm. V-12. Must. If I wanted a GT car with a V-8, I would have bought a 928. Which V-12? The Aston is more "modern", the Jag more traditional. Decisions... I'm going to stick with the Jag for now, but could be talked out of it.

That said, there are serious issues that need to be addressed, and while we're on a budget, it's not a British Leyland type of budget. Let's jump right to one of the later ones made. I was going to say "6.0 liter", but that's just the start. There's no replacement for displacement. I do want the XJ12 6.0 with the coil on plug ignition. That solves the Marelli/Lucas discussion right there. Electric cooling fans, aluminum radiator. Lots-o-research and programming on the Fuel Injection system. While you've cleaned things up in there, modern AC and cruise control.

The interior is where we can have some degree of fun. If a coupe, then working buttress windows. I actually like the fact that the windscreen is not a modern "cab forward" design with high rake. Aerodynamics be damned: The F-4 Phantom proved that even a brick will go Mach 2.2 if you strap a big enough engine to it. Leave that, but work on gaskets.

Update the dash. Use green LEDs. Yes, I said green. It is a Jag, right? Add a HUD.
Modern HVAC. Temp control for each side. Double DIN radio so that you can have a nice nav system. Integrate the nav with the HUD. I'll let the stereo guys figure out amps and speakers. Keep the wood panels. I like elm, but walnut works. Better (supportive) seats. One can go a little crazy in here, if one wants, but remember, it's a GT, not a boudoir.

Oh, I almost forgot. Replace the entire wiring harness. Yes, the whole thing. While you're at it, step up the wire sizes by at least two gauges. Yes, you've added some weight. That's not an area where weight savings is that important. We have 40 years of history with these things. We know where most shorts, loose grounds, and dirty relays are. Fix those while you have the chance.

Maybe that's not really a resto-mod. But that's what I'd do. Inspiration is from cars like this:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/cla...-modern-hearts
Probably the best restomod presented in the thread, so far, except for the rather limited power 5.3L V12 choice, considering how much better (including Jaguar) choice is available in terms of "resto / mod" i.e. improving and upgrading.

Old 02-21-2018 | 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ronbros

some pix
Great pics.

ronbros (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018 | 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by macdoesit
Great pics.

thanks Mac , going on 24 years ago, Yikes does time fly!

Old 04-03-2018 | 07:34 PM
|
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=ronbros;1843492].

some pix[/

Nice improvements to your XJS. I like that V12 presentation and the projector headlights are a highly convenient, super "mod" over the poor and dim stock lights.
Also, nice center wood veneer panels. I'm sure that these mods make your XJS an interesting and special one at car shows.

Cheers,

ronbros (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018 | 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Any more information on that yellow Jag in the pic above?

Old 04-04-2018 | 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

also my XJS roadster was done 23yrs ago, WITHOUT ANY INTERNET AT ALL!

I dont think there were any Jaguar sites , if so almost NO information anyway!

heck i didnt even have a computer, much less try to find information!

Attached Thumbnails Restomod Jaguar XJS-jag-rodstr-015.jpg  
Old 04-05-2018 | 09:36 PM

I think the obsolescence now in the car gives it the charm of a delightful antique. I would be hard pressed to find any car with a more beautiful curbside appearance. Changing the running gear might make the performance better, but it would no longer be a Jaguar.

Old 04-06-2018 | 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

afterburner,, there is no way to build a Jaguar RESTOMOD an still be a complete Jaguar?

also there is no such thing as a factory perfect car once it is sold new from the dealer it becomes used!

just say you had unlimited money , and a 1952 car was close to perfect, where would you get 1952 fuel, or 1952 air for tires, SO no such thing as original 1952!!!

89 Jacobra (04-06-2018)
Old 05-18-2018 | 06:05 PM
|
Veteran Member

Actually, I'm the one who started this thread, yet after reading so many great posts with mods and improvements already achieved, plus many quite interesting ideas and suggestions, I haven’t shared what I’ve done to my own XJS. So, yeah, my XJS is far from stock, but I prefer better performance, plus the conveniences of later cars and the enhanced looks as opposed to having to be 100% stock. After all, those who have only updated the radio are not 100% stock either. No changes have been done that would alter this car's great XJS presence and stance. This, below, is my contribution to this “resto-mod” thread. They’re not just “ideas” but actually incorporated mods and I’ve divided them into three categories:
1. Convenience
2. Performance
3. Cosmetics/Appearance

=30 pictures follow below=

Convenience
Engine start/stop button that interfaces with the car’s security features. Totally self contained; can still use OEM key.
Electrochromic rearview mirror, similar to, but better than my XJR’s, as it adds digital outside temp/compass displays.
Cup holders and high security lock in the center console with enlarged storage capacity and two cup holders.
A-pillar pod with fuel pressure gauge, wide band air/fuel ratio gauge, incoming air tem ind, plus N2O controls & LED’s.
Special Hella fog lights. They look blue when OFF, but will turn ON amber.
All new ICE system with Kenwood Excelon HU and a 40GB Kenwood Excelon “Phat Noise” MP3 Digital Music Storage hard drive (DMS). A Pioneer digital sound processor (DSP) integrated to the ski slope - Four 100wrms Sony amps feeding four 100wrms Infiniti mid-range drivers behind the stock grilles. A 500wrms Rockford Fosgate amp feeding a JL Audio subwoofer located inside the rear seat back cushion. A 50wrms amp feeding the 50wrms dedicated and perfectly aimed tweeters located at the door triangles.

Performance
The head has been ported and polished and fully refurbished by a race shop at Las Vegas Speedway.
Performance Power Chip with re-programmed timing and fuel.
Optimized Magnaflow exhaust components: no-baffling mid-silencers and no baffling rear mufflers; 3” rear exhaust pipes end in Borla tips.
Lower profile Continental ExtremeContact tires on 17” Revolver chromed wheels, amazingly fixed these long time Pirelli tires unresolved problems (tough steering and awful ride).
Special Auto Meter Performance monitor (accelerometer / timer).
Nitrous injection system from the Wizards of Nos (UK) producing 130 HP over and above the stock 219 HP.
"Minimax" Digital Nitrous Controller to shape the level and timing of injections and also to prevent skidding the tires while not going anywhere...
• Unique alternate nitrous use with “initial ½ second micro pulse” injection for quicker take off during normal driving, if so desired.
• Bottle, sensors and electronics are located inside the enclosed and locked left trunk cavity
• Nitrous mini-overhead panel with digital indicators for N2O press, N2O temp and N2O-use/timer.
• Pulsoids, injector and trigger generators for N2O injection.

Cosmetics / Appearance[/
• Fairly new, concourse finish, 2000 wet-sanded BRG paint
• Jaguar inspired performance related cosmetic mods, such as:

• Top and bottom mesh grilles, of the more modern, heavier chromed mesh from later S/C Jags.
• “R” emblems indicating the significant power gain from nitrous injection (130 HP), a 60% increase over the 219 stock HP. My XJR s/c gain: just 28%. 0 t0 60? a match at 5.2 sec.
• Painted headlight chrome frames along with the rear spoiler, both ideas from the later V12 XJS.
• Painted hood’s front edge chrome strip, an excellent cosmetic touch/idea from the XJR-s Jags.
• Chrome Revolver wheels from 1997 XK8 Jags.
• Special aluminum pedals, gas and brake.
• New leather on both front seats.
• Wood/leather steering wheel
• Top of the line burl wood shifter with green growler emblem
• Burl wood veneered radio and a/c control surround panel.
• Oh, man, we can’t leave out the greatest of “convenience“ item: the 3-stogie humidor in the trunk: "The joy of open air driving".

= THE PICTURES FOLLOW THE ORDER/SEQUENCE OF THE DESCRIPTION PARAGRAPHS =

Attached Thumbnails Restomod Jaguar XJS-1-engine-start-stop-pushbutton.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-2-electrochromic-mirror.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-3-cup-holders-security-lock.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-4-pillar-pod.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-5-head-unit-pioneer-dsp.jpg  

Restomod Jaguar XJS-5a-night-view.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-6-ice-pwr-distr-amps-humidor.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-7-tweeters-triangles.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-8-sw-inside-rear-back-cushion.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-9-head-porting-detail.jpg  

Restomod Jaguar XJS-10-fully-refurbished-head.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-11-reprogrammed-powerchip.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-12-no-baffling-mid-silencer-rear-muffler.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-13-sexy-borla-tips.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-14-continentals-extremecontact.jpg  

Restomod Jaguar XJS-15-nitrous-digital-controller.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-16-bottle-sensors.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-17-locked-away.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-18-n2o-fuel-pulsoids.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-19-nitrous-mini-overhead-panel.jpg  

Restomod Jaguar XJS-20a-superb-brg-paint.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-20-concourse-finish.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-21-mesh-grilles-painted-chrome.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-22-r-emblems.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-23-sporty-aluminim-pedals.jpg  

Restomod Jaguar XJS-24-new-leather.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-25-wood-leather-steering-wheel.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-26-burl-wood-growler.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-27-burlwood-radio-ac-control-panel.jpg  

Last edited by Forcedair1; 05-18-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Mkii250 (03-01-2021)
Old 05-18-2018 | 09:01 PM

I really like the mesh grill it looks great. Have any driving clips? I would love to hear the exhaust!

Rusty

Quick Reply: Restomod Jaguar XJS