XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Restomod Jaguar XJS

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018 | 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Nice mods, improved the kitty, but it's still a kitty Nice. Any numbers on the Magnaflow mufflers? Just curious

Old 05-18-2018 | 10:51 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rustyxjc
I really like the mesh grill it looks great. Have any driving clips? I would love to hear the exhaust!

Rusty
No, unfortunately I've never done any such clips with this car. Good idea, I may just do one in the near future.

Cheers,

Old 05-18-2018 | 10:55 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
Nice mods, improved the kitty, but it's still a kitty Nice. Any numbers on the Magnaflow mufflers? Just curious
"Numbers" as in price? it was years back and I'd have to dig in my receipts pile. I'll look it up.

Old 05-20-2018 | 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Actually I was interested in the part numbers as not all mufflers are chambered as the ones you describe. Most go in and are forced through a baffle plate then have to reverse direction, to exit the muffler. These are considered "Turbo" mufflers. The ones you described would be much less restrictive.

Thanks Jack

Old 05-21-2018 | 03:56 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
Actually I was interested in the part numbers as not all mufflers are chambered as the ones you describe. Most go in and are forced through a baffle plate then have to reverse direction, to exit the muffler. These are considered "Turbo" mufflers. The ones you described would be much less restrictive.

Thanks Jack
I found the Magnaflow brochure featuring the no baffles and no restrictions exhaust components that they installed on my car. The attached pictures are from that brochure of some 10 to 12 years ago. However, I still can't find the invoice that most likely had part numbers or model numbers on it. Still, considering the age of this transaction, you should probably use this old brochure as a base to search and consult with Magnaflow people in regards to today's equivalent high performance exhaust devices. The exhaust sound did get a little louder, but pretty sweet.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Restomod Jaguar XJS-magnaflow-wide-open.jpeg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-magnaflow-600-scan.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018 | 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like they were Called "Wide Open" as noted by the TM next to the "Wide Open" in the picture. Should make them search able.

Thanks Jack

Old 05-24-2018 | 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Forced air , is your car a 6 cylinder,no engine pix?

my James Bond panel,LOL,LOL

control panel in center glove box, engine start white button , 1st switch on right is power up the center panel and pilot lite .

far left is fuel pump on,injectors priming.

next going right , is computer on.

next is ignition on.

next is auxialary fan on, large elec fan is automatic temp controlled.

push start button, engine starts.

kinda fun and great conversation, small rear box has knob to control RICH OR LEAN MIXTURE , visual by AFR gage to left of center panel! tune while you drive!!

all this 24 years back.

if we were closer ,we could race our cars, some great OPEN hiway in west Texas , run out 130/150 MPH, for like 1/2 hour steady, see if you run out of NOS, or run out of engine 1st.

only kidding, but late at night the local fast guys , are runnin over 200MPH.
things are getting tricky with the law tho, old fashioned street racing is getting dangerous with cars that are TOO fast!

Attached Thumbnails Restomod Jaguar XJS-jag-interior-001.jpg  

Last edited by ronbros; 05-24-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2018 | 09:30 PM
Default V-10 Viper engine w/6 speed manual

This car is presently for sale with a Dodge Viper V-10 and 6 speed manual trans. Big brakes etc...fits the definition of a restomod.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...sylvania-15425

Attached Thumbnails Restomod Jaguar XJS-11348622-1989-jaguar-xjs-thumb-viper1.jpg   Restomod Jaguar XJS-11348623-1989-jaguar-xjs-thumb-viper2.jpg  
Old 05-25-2018 | 12:43 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
This car is presently for sale with a Dodge Viper V-10 and 6 speed manual trans. Big brakes etc...fits the definition of a restomod.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...sylvania-15425
Yeah, it does in a similar manner as restomod 1951 Chevy trucks with a more modern and high power 502 CID Chevy engines are typically shown on Mecum Auctions on TV.

Old 05-25-2018 | 02:08 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros

control panel in center glove box, engine start white button , 1st switch on right is power up the center panel and pilot lite .

next is ignition on.

kinda fun and great conversation, small rear box has knob to control RICH OR LEAN MIXTURE , visual by AFR gage to left of center panel! tune while you drive!!

all this 24 years back.

if we were closer ,we could race our cars, some great OPEN hiway in west Texas , run out 130/150 MPH, for like 1/2 hour steady, see if you run out of NOS, or run out of engine 1st.

things are getting tricky with the law tho, old fashioned street racing is getting dangerous with cars that are TOO fast!
You have made your cockpit a very unique one and so are your highly convenient headlights, considering how poor the stock lights are on the XJS cars. -- In regards to my engine it is the straight six AJ6 motor. I wouldn't be sure what the car would do at 150 mph for 30 minutes. One thing to keep in mind is that nitrous is mostly used to add acceleration for 1/4-mile drag stints because its acceleration from zero is brutal. It is not used for longer races, except (if the rules allow you) to use it for the crucial moment when you want to pass or to cross the finish line. I haven't heard of anybody attempting a sustained long run using nitrous, not to mention that in longer races the bottle is not going to last long enough. But, besides nitrous, the kitty has the head ported and polished and wide open exhaust components and an alternate air filter route to the intake, all of which become alive at higher rpm's, so the kitty's higher speeds behavior would be interesting to be tested...

Yes, around here (SoCal) we're having lots of bad accidents reported almost on a daily basis from kids running their highly tuned machines at night and at very high speeds for the street. They all believe that they can safely emulate Paul Walker and Vin Diesel movie role guys.

I wonder if yours and mine are the only XJS cars with an engine start/stop button... I designed, built and installed mine from scratch, except for the button itself, but that I still had to internally modify; fully self contained, interfaces with the OEM security features. Great conversation? You bet it is. You asked for an engine pic, here's one. The blue and red little devices are the Wizards of Nos (UK) nitrous and fuel pulsoids, i.e. pulsating solenoids that allow for control of the injection signal via modulation from the nitrous digital controller in the cockpit (pic of which attached), all UK items that I never saw with this technology from US nitrous mfr's back when I acquired this system. It works great and it provides one heck of a lot more than just a smile in one's face... The kick on your back is stuff of (XJS) dreams, as it no less than matches my XJR's 5.2 seconds.

:

The red and blue little cylinders are the fuel and nitrous spulsoids (i.e. pulsating solenoids)

Old 05-25-2018 | 09:22 PM
|
Veteran Member

next is ignition on.

all this 24 years back.

I was looking at your nice looking veneered dash boards and thought that a nice modern radio would look good surrounded by all that timber, so you could listen to your favorite music next time you take the kitty out for a spin. Just a thought...

Old 05-28-2018 | 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

this precludes any soft music, LOUD exhaust side pipe, 5 inch diameter!

Attached Thumbnails Restomod Jaguar XJS-20170822_111048.jpg  
Old 05-28-2018 | 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

very odd thing about this site,, if i sign off JF , my pix come out right side up???

i go on as guest, and it works!!

Old 05-28-2018 | 07:02 PM
|
Veteran Member

very odd thing about this site,, if i sign off JF , my pix come out right side up???

i go on as guest, and it works!!
But why? That doesn't sound right to me, especially turning an attachment 180 deg upside down? Perhaps a moderator may be able to resolve the issue for you.
BTW, those wheels look really cool on your XJS, very nice.
Cheers,

Old 06-13-2019 | 01:30 PM

How far have you gotten on these changes?
Cost to date?

I just posted a similar question as this thread, looking for general feeling about a signer-like resto-mod on a xjs.

Old 06-13-2019 | 01:49 PM

Forcedair1, what happened to your thoughts of a reimagined xjs? I m new to the forum, and on my intro I posted a similar question -then found this thread.

I believe there is a market for well-sorted xjs: beautiful lines, elegant and sophisticated exterior and interior. Only if it was MUCH faster/reliable/serviceable.
If Singers go for 350k to who-knows and Mil-Spec H1's start at 250k ... who is gonna build the reimagined version of an xjs?

Old 06-14-2019 | 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

maybe something along these lines, XJS roadster 1978 , proper done V12 400HP,etc.

LOW and WIDE, most of the original lines enhanced!

Daim (06-14-2019)
Old 02-27-2021 | 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by fat_cat
I will slowly be converting mine to a restomod project. Not of the high dollar like some but I draw inspiration from youtube videos like DIY garage, roadster shop and low mileage.

my subtle dream will be converting to megasquirt to get rid of the ***** wiring and all unnecessary hoses. Converting to individual throttle bodies, no ac or anything, 5 speed transmission, updated but original interior ( like singer porsche), wide tires, GETTING RID OF THE BUMPERS.

sorry, those ugly bumpers will be going. Updating the lights to LED's. Switching suspension components somehow. I don't like how the bearing creates a lot of issues with rim selection, so maybe a corvette knuckle conversion or something of the like.

that's basically what I'm aiming for my restomod

not finished, but that’s basically what I did

The following 3 users liked this post by krakenfelt:
89 Jacobra (02-28-2021), Mkii250 (03-04-2021), ronbros (02-27-2021)
Old 02-28-2021 | 10:28 AM

About 6 years ago I put in a GM 4L60 (non-electronic) transmission in my XJS to get more usable power out of it and that is a great upgrade for everyday use. My rear end was going anyway and put in a 3:54, so now it pulls hard in first gear and cruises at 70mph at around 2000 rpm and makes it much more lively and enjoyable car to drive.

The following 2 users liked this post by jnporcello:
Mkii250 (03-04-2021), ronbros (02-28-2021)
Old 03-03-2021 | 04:21 PM

@jnporcello I'm literally turning over the same idea right now! Although I want the 4L60E variant so I can do a switchable full manual.

My only reservation is that the 4L60 has such a tall step from first to second. How do you find it behaves when you aren't pressing on? Do you lose refinement in urban traffic?

What torque converter did you go with?

In answer to the thread, I am doing the thing. So here's my dream XJS:
- barely touching the engine; bigger intake horns, more for snarl than effect
- AJ Engineering's exhaust system
- replacing a lot of the ancillaries; more efficient alternator and starter; electric fan instead of belt; all-new AC
- alu rads, reduce some weight on the nose
- tighter steering rack bushings
- switchable full manual with shifter; line pressure increase in manual mode. Car needs to remain lazy and comfortable most of the time, but with brutal mode on tap
- reworking the centre console. I don't want ashtrays, would rather have binnacles
- HUD; discreetly mounted so that it can be removed with very little trace
- leather stitched over the dash
- wood-topped shifter - with sequential bump shift, naturally
- third brake light
- rear seat delete
- replace all the maple wood with rosewood, sawn not knife-cut, finished with oil and shellac
- Morocco Red - the best 4colour
- towbar; you may laugh, but a good party sometimes requires a generator, a little amplification of sound, a field kitchen, 3 coolboxes, an electric freezer, 350 limes, 60 litres of good-quality tequila, 9 hats, 17 pairs of sunglasses, 13 shirts, a double bed (wooden) with pocket spring mattress, a sledgehammer, 20Kg of coffee, a disco ball, a post-hole digger, a 6-foot crowbar, a ball pit, a dishwasher, a wardrobe (folding), several hand-painted wooden signs, and a good-looking wife. One needs some way to tow the wife when the cabin is full of all the other things.

What I'd like to do:
- all new climate kit behind the dash; uprate the blowers and heater. Advice sought.

What I'd like to do, money no object:
- put the fuel tank and spare underneath the boot; raise the boot floor but open the luggage space up all the way to the front seats. Sadly, this raises serious challenges with the vehicle inspectors.

Mkii250 (03-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Restomod Jaguar XJS