XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Restoration tracking software?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Restoration tracking software?

I use an Excel spreadsheet to track regular maintenance on my cars but I'm getting ready to start working on my 1975 Coupe (that's been sitting in a shed for 15 or so years) and I'd like to find something I could use to set up a plan of attack, track progress, parts orders, and document the work. Anyone know of any available programs, templates, whatever, to do this?

I don't want a full blown Project Management program. I've been looking at Evernote which seems like it might work well but if anyone out there knows of something that's already set up that would save me a lot of work.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,319 Likes on 5,471 Posts

I use a quill pen dipped in a fluid made from chimney soot and a sheet of white stuff made from grinding up shredded softwood, mixing it up in a bowl with water and flattening it out with a rolling pin, then letting it dry in the sun. A reliable technology that will one day reach the colonies?
Greg

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,035 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Sticky notes, blackboard, screwed up bits of paper, failing memory.
Usually get fed up and buy another car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
Grant Francis (03-13-2016), Greg in France (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:13 AM
Received 10,508 Likes on 6,940 Posts

Yep,

Pen and paper works so well for me, I just might keep doing it that way.

NO reboots, NO save icon, NO error messages.

The ability to scribble a "must order" notation WITHOUT the need for stupid technology, just gives me the warm and fuzzies like no other.

My "grey matter" is still a marvel that has me remembering all sorts of things in a flash, and works so well.

I have restored many of the years, and many, many V12 engine bay fires with what I have within my skull.

Greg, we got the paper in the colonies, along with that stolen loaf of bread, the ink was a tad scimpy, but we manage, THANKS mate.

Greg in France (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

I put notes in my phone (MOT dates etc.) and then transfer them to the backboard in the kitchen when I get home.
Don't need to recharge the blackboard and it even works in direct sunlight.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
Grant Francis (03-13-2016), Greg in France (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Default Thanks guys!

Thanks for the great advice

In the past I have used notebooks and sticky notes. I actually have a blackboard painted on one wall in the garage.

Grant said "My "grey matter" is still a marvel that has me remembering all sorts of things in a flash, and works so well."

My memory sucks! I have enough trouble trying to find the wrench I had in my hand 2 minutes ago!!! What I need is a way to consolidate all the sticky notes, bits of paper and random thoughts in one easily accessible place.

I would like to end up with a documented history of the build so that when our XJ-S's are worth big bucks like the E-Type (like that's going to happen in my lifetime) I'll have a nice presentation to go with the car.

The following 3 users liked this post by petemohr:
Grant Francis (03-13-2016), Greg in France (03-13-2016), Steve M (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

What you need is a roll of papyrus and a scribe to follow you about taking notes.
When the car is finished and looking fabulous you can then have the scribe mummified, put the papyrus in a jar and keep them both in the boot (trunk).
Sorted.

Greg in France (03-14-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Received 10,508 Likes on 6,940 Posts

Now I understand, a tad thick I can be at times.

That is a "special" problem, and not easily solved.

I tried that "multi tasking" that women are famous for this morning, OOPS, the butter ended up in the dishwasher, and the empty/dirty coffee mug was later found in the fridge, by her. Needless to say my assistance in the kitchen is no longer required.

I have no suggestions. I still use Word 2003, and thats about as IT smart I want to be.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Just subscribing to the thread to see if anyone comes up with anything. I'm two years into a three year frame-off restoration of a vintage Corvette. I've used copious amounts of ziplock bags of various sizes, labeled with black sharpie markers. Also found some blank shipping tags at an office supply store that attach with twisty wires for parts that are too big for ziplock. Lots and lots of cardboard boxes to sort and store parts of various assemblies. I've kept an Excel spreadsheet of parts needed so that I could price-compare the various suppliers and accumulate sizeable orders to save on shipping. But no project management software.

Luckily, the Corvette is probably the most well-documented car on earth. The most valuable tool has been the "Assembly Information Manual" or AIM which has exploded drawings of virtually everything. It shows details like whether a particular bolt used a flat washer and/or lock washer and the order of installation. I don't suppose you have such a wonderful reference for the xjs? In cases where the AIM didn't contain a detailed drawing, like perhaps where I dismantled a sub-assembly that was installed as unit at the factory, I would make myself notes or even little diagrams drawn right on the ziplock bag itself. Bad thing about that I've had to re-draw many since after the fasteners were cleaned and re-plated, I didn't want to put them back in the greasy, rusty bag, so I had to make a new bag.

Also photographed EVERYTHING before taking it apart. But I have no particular organization to it. Just have to browse through hundreds of pictures till I find the right one. If I were more sophisticated, yes, I'd have some sort of system. A friend of mine who does this stuff too, I have no idea how anything ever gets put back together at all, let alone to NCRS standards. He just tosses bolts into a 5 gallon bucket as he's taking a car apart. Seriously, two years in and as its going back together, I would have no recollection of little details like whether or not a lock washer was used in a particular spot and probably not even remember some big things, like "did this car have air conditioning when I took it apart?"

Last edited by pdupler; 03-13-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Grant Francis (03-13-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 07:06 AM

I found these:

Collector Car Companion
About Restoration Manager

I've decided to go with Evernote along with Scannable and Web Capture.
You can take a picture with your phone and it will automatically transfer it to Evernote. Same with web page info. You can add text to the pictures, add pdf's. And much more ;-))
The best part - It's all free!
I'll stay with Excel to track expenses.