XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

retractable roof wont....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retractable roof wont....

I have a 1996 jag xjs convertible today when i went to put the roof up there was no action. I had the switch checked it works, there is no fluid leak from the roof motor. when i hook power up to the motor the roof will go up and down. I checked the fuse next to the motor that was for the roof and it was good. Is there another fuse for the roof........ can anyone suggest any problem that i am missing...... thanks for any help

Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Check emergency brake switch and shifter switch as these need to be applied to work roof. I had e brake switch issue that stopped mine.

The following users liked this post:
DBarry (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,041 Posts

Check through the systems thoroughly using the wiring diagram and description in the workshop manual. I'm not sure which "fuse" you're referring to, but the operation of the system is controlled through a series of relays controlling the up and down of rear windows and motor. The ecu looks for position signals from the handbrake and the transmission and then a signal from the roof switch. It then activates the rear window down relays and the roof relay. Read the description and wiring and then you'll logically work out if it's a position sensor, the roof switch or a relay. Possible but unlikely to be the roof ecu itself.

Good luck

Paul

The following users liked this post:
DBarry (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 AM
Default thank you for the suggestions

I have never had to engage the emergency brake to bring the roof up or down. car would have to be in park and foot on the break and then push the roof switch. Befor i bring it to a garage i wanted to shorten the fishing trip they would be on at $100 per hour. Thank you so much for your suggestions and any other you may be able to offer..... regards....db

Old 06-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Wow.

I have a 1996. My car is required to be in park (foot on brake not necessary) with the emergency brake applied.

Someone must have disconnected the way the car sees the emergency brake when operating the roof.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

db,

No XJS convertible was built with an electrical connection on the foot brake to operate the hood. They all take an electrical signal from the position of the hand brake.

It may be that the switch on the handbrake was not operating properly if you were previously able to operate the hood without applying the handbrake. Maybe the switch is now working correctly so you do have to apply the handbrake as specified.

I can't see why anyone would wire a switch into the foot brake for this purpose. Are you sure that you had to have the foot brake pressed to operate the hood previously? That sounds bizarre.

Are the windows operating when you press the hood switch? The wiring diagram is pretty clear on how the circuit and relays are linked. If you read through and then check power supply at the relay or even pin out the ecu, you'll identify the problem easily, I'm sure.

Good luck

Paul

Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 PM

hey paul and Vee thanks very much for your reply...yes i have driven the car all last summer and this summer to date and the hood was engaged only when i had the foot on the brake and in park... I will try the hand brake for sure now... paul u mentioned the The wiring diagram .... where could i find that.... i would give that to the garage . I put the roof up manually and the back windows are down and this was as per the owners manual... I checked the fuse and its ok..... kind of stuck now

Old 06-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

DBarry,

The wiring diagram is in the Parts and Service Manual dvd.

As mentioned, the foootbrake has no link to the hood mechanism.

Do the windows go up if you press the roof switch to the up position for more than 8 seconds? If so, then this would possibly imply that the fault is in the hood up relay. If the windows don't go up after 8 seconds then that still sounds like roof switch or transmission selector switch or handbrake switch. How do you know that that the hood switch is working ok?

Hope that helps.

Paul

Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 AM
Default retractable roof

where would i find a copy of this dvd now... i do not have one.... it seems like there is a break in the wire from the battery

Do the windows go up if you press the roof switch to the up position for more than 8 seconds? to the switch.>>>>>> no they stay down. I changed over the swithch to operate the windows and it worked..... the roof switch and the window swithch are interchangable.....

Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

Dbarry,

The Parts & Service manual is available from Jaguar Heritage. See here:

Jaguar Heritage. Technical Publications

When I said do the windows go up if you press the hood switch for more than 8 seconds, I meant the rear windows. As you will see from the workshop manual, the ecu powers the hood up then after an 8 second delay, it powers up the rear windows. So what you seem to have ascertained is:

- the hood switch works (you swapped it with the front window switch and the front window worked?)
- the hood motor works as you've applied current directly to it and it works.
- the rear windows don't work if you hold the hood switch down for more than 8 seconds

That would seem to imply either:
- the hood ecu has failed (not a common occurence)
- all the hood and rear window relays have failed simultaneously (extremely unlikely they'd all go at the same time)
- the ecu is not getting the signals from the transmission and handbrake switches to power the roof and windows (very likely that it's the handbrake switch)

The fact that the windows and roof both don't work does seem to imply that the fault is not "after" the ecu, it's "before the ecu. I would:

- Try putting the transmission in Neutral rather than Park just to eliminate a false Park position on the switch

Then look at the handbrake switch. That's where my money would be based on your description of what works and what doesn't.

Good luck

Paul

Old 06-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

A year an a half ago I got tired of fooling with the roof and rear windows not working or working only when they wanted to and unplugged the roof module. Then I wired the roof switch to either raise the hood or lower it when pushed. I wired the windows/down relays to a toggle switch on the ski slope to raise the windows or lower the windows at will. Works every time. This lets me drive with the roof down and the rear windows up if I wish.
This problem is probably coming from the park brake switch as ptjs1 said.
Luck, RagJag

Old 06-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

OP
If you remove the drivers seat you will have 100% access to the handbrake mechanism. Picture attached. Micro switch vertically oriented white oblong on left of mechanism with diagonal metal bar and two screws holding it on. Should be easy to check if its working electrically and/or if its properly aligned. Taking out the seat is easy, just watch for the, I think two, electrical plugs. Good luck! Normally you find a small fortune under these seats easily covering the price of a new switch.

Attached Thumbnails retractable roof wont....-forumrunner_20140619_124011.png  
Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ptjs1
dbarry,

the parts & service manual is available from jaguar heritage. See here:

jaguar heritage. Technical publications

when i said do the windows go up if you press the hood switch for more than 8 seconds, i meant the rear windows. As you will see from the workshop manual, the ecu powers the hood up then after an 8 second delay, it powers up the rear windows. So what you seem to have ascertained is:

- the hood switch works (you swapped it with the front window switch and the front window worked?) yes
- the hood motor works as you've applied current directly to it and it works. Yes
- the rear windows don't work if you hold the hood switch down for more than 8 seconds yes

that would seem to imply either:
- the hood ecu has failed (not a common occurence)
- all the hood and rear window relays have failed simultaneously (extremely unlikely they'd all go at the same time)
- the ecu is not getting the signals from the transmission and handbrake switches to power the roof and windows (very likely that it's the handbrake switch)

the fact that the windows and roof both don't work does seem to imply that the fault is not "after" the ecu, it's "before the ecu. I would:

- try putting the transmission in neutral rather than park just to eliminate a false park position on the switch

then look at the handbrake switch. That's where my money would be based on your description of what works and what doesn't.

Good luck

paul
thanks so much.... I will try this...

Old 06-19-2014, 07:34 PM

Funny thing is i never had to engage the hand break to operate the roof... i checked today and actually the hand break is not working... I will have to get it fixed..... Iam at a loss but i will check as per pauls recommendation.....thans ragjag and op for your imput..

Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sea Cat

Hey guys, Must be the moon affecting these Xjs's. I have a similar problem, hood goes up and down, driver and passenger windows go up and down, the passenger rear window goes up and down but the driver rear window does not go up or down. Fuses are good, up and down relays are good, NOT getting power to the up and down relays. Seems like that circuit is open. Is there another fuse in that line? This is for a 1994 XJS w/ 112,000 miles. Stunned--Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks, Louis

Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 386 Posts

The rear windows have a mind of there own........

Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Malc4d, Yes, they do have a mind of their own. I gave mine a lobotomy.
RagJag