XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Road Trip to Yokohama - Part I

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Depending on what's wrong with the AC, it can be labour intensive. If you need access to the upper blend door motors, than that's a dash out job. Easier on your car, as it doesn't have airbags. Mine does, and the first time I did it, it was about a day and a half to get everything out, tested, fixed, and put back. I also had to make a tool for disarming the drivers side airbag.

I assume they can do it faster than the first time I did mine. What is your AC doing ( or not doing as the case may be)?

Old 12-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Yep, it's the upper area--the screen vents are dodgy, pumping out warm air when the system's not on and fogging the screen, as well as a dodgy vacuum solenoid in the main system which won't hold vacuum. It works, but only when vacuum is applied, which I can tell happens by a loud clunk from behind the dash most times I drive the car, anything from 5 to 30 minutes after starting it. Sometimes I have put the system into full defrost and then back onto normal to get it to work, but only sometimes.

It's not a vital fix, as I do get cool and warm air (though I'm not sure the cool air is as cool as it should be, it's definitely chilled), but since I'm in for this much, I suppose might as well get it done properly. If I close my eyes I might not notice the blow to my bank balance....

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (12-08-2017)