XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Roof Lining Colours

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 04:41 AM
Received 593 Likes on 368 Posts
Default Roof Lining Colours

It isn't clear from the trim code what colour the roof lining is supposed to be, my trim code is AEE which is doeskin, but this seems to refer to the seats and door cards, the carpet according to a trimmer is called Rattan (a kind of brown) and the roof lining sure looks grey - but then the A pillers are very definitely not grey.

I am trying to source appropriate trim material (Woollies Trim) but struggling with the colour - anyone have a definitive list - I can find no such thing in the Jaguar books so far looked at.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:47 AM

Think I may have found it - colour is called Limestone on AEE trim - not sure what damn colour that is ....

Old 08-22-2020, 05:06 AM

OK Dilemna - a vehicle retrimmer / upholsterer I ain't, a bit OCD aver originality I am, so the OCD says to retrim my own headlining, considering that I'm not right confident to get this right the logic says just buy one already done, but GRP won't provide the same kind of noise insulation - or will it ?

To hell with it - going to DIY it ...

Last edited by BenKenobi; 08-22-2020 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Old fart makes up mind ...
Old 08-22-2020, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by BenKenobi
Think I may have found it - colour is called Limestone on AEE trim - not sure what damn colour that is ....
Disclosures: I'm only two sips into my first cuppa coffee and it's been years since I thought about headliners.

However......

As i recall, in that era Jaguar used just two headliner colors.Both very neutral-ish in tone. One was a gray tone, which you apparently have, and the other was more of a very pale tan tone.....which may have been called Sandstone?

I think I have a chart showing which secondary colors were used with xxx-primary trim code, including the colors used on the pillar trim etc.

I'll try to find it.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-22-2020, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

The charts are in the front of the printed Jaguar parts catalogs. I don't find them anywhere in the online catalogs from JDHT....although they might be hidden elsewhere.

Anyhow....

Primary trim code AEE carries XF carpet (Rattan), ND headliner (Limestone), LZ underscuttles and small bits (Black) and XE post trim, door cards, etc (Doeskin)

So, nothing new revealed that you didn't already know.

These color/trim combination charts are rather simple and short for the XJS. For the XJ sedans, my goodness, several pages of permutations.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-22-2020, 05:50 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

When I did mine I just found the closest 'tan' that matched the existing. I figured it was so filthy I couldn't exactly get it wrong.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Headliners can be very tricky to do and look right. After doing one in a 1966 S Type, that's a job I'd leave to the professionals. There are several excellent Jag trimmers in the UK who could do an excellent job. I'd start with Suffolk and Turley or Aldridge Trimming.

When gluing the foam backed material to the backer board it's easy to leave a compressed thumb print in the material that gets glued in place and will never come out. Only solution is to strip off the material and start again. Don't ask how I know...

The following users liked this post:
Doug (08-22-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 07:02 AM

Watched numerous vids now - and of course all make it look kind of easy (wouldn't video yourself making a complete mess would you).

Still tempted to give it a go, whats the worst can happen - remove and restart and a good learning exercise - will provide a perfect opportunity to stink out the house - got plenty of dust sheets to catch any stray adhesive even have plenty of 2 metre tables so watch this space - I may just video me making a complete **** of myself.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting thread this.
I've just recently bought and XJS with the same colour seats and carpet etc. Was also wondering about the roof colour as mine needs replacing .

Curious to know how you get on and whether you retrimmed yourself

Old 08-31-2020, 02:24 PM

The situation was rendered a moot point, the old liner support - basically compressed fibreglass has gone the same way as the headlining and turned to dust in places, it really isn't servicable any more simply touching it had pieces breaking off and I wasn't rough with it - far from it.

I already have a full set ready to go back in from Headliner World.

I've been knocking a dent or two out of the roof as the barn find car for some of its life was a barn shelf, I've also done a little paint correction but some of the scratches are too deep - they're a whole lot less noticable now though. The dents are still there if you know where to look but are substantially reduced, I'll have another go at them when I get chance.

I've also cleaned up all the leather using Dr Leather - the line ion the centre console is not a shadow - cleaned every inch at the front with a toothbrush !!