XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Routine Maintanence

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Routine Maintanence

Hey All,

Still working on my neighbors jag, but haven't gotten around to doing the routine maintenance items other than air filters yet. I never got a book and haven't grabbed the owners manual so i'm coming to you guys for a few tips.

for a 1991 XJS 5.3

namely these:

1. What torque should the spark plugs be?

2. Any tips for doing the drive belts? I've heard unbolting the AC compressor helps

3. I haven't looked in awhile but can the PS pump belt be taken off separately? I have to run it to a shop to fix the leak i was originally brought in to fix and can't do it. I don't want to burn the pump out driving it around sans fluid.

4. Doing the fuel filter, any tips? seems straight forward for the most part, just messy.

I think thats it for now. I'm planning on doing it tomorrow afternoon EST time zone. THANKS!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

1.the spark plugs should be pretty much like all spark plugs..hand tight. Just make sure they are actually seated all the way down as it may take a wrench to get them past dirty threads.

2.nothing needs to be removed to do the drive belts. just make sure your order is correct so you don't get one on and then have to undo it again. the tensioners can be very tedious, just relax and take your time.

3.Yes the power steering pump comes off, may be difficult getting to all the bolts though, driver air cleaner has to come out of course. Are you positive its the pump? the lines easily fail sense they pass the exhaust manifold and dry out.

4.Relieve all pressure from the system by cranking with the relay pulled or fuel inertia switch out. Remove all possible carpets from the back and keep some water nearby and a large bucket or pan to let the excess fuel drip into. Plug lines with appropriate diameter screwdriver or use hose clamp.

hope this helps

Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
1.the spark plugs should be pretty much like all spark plugs..hand tight. Just make sure they are actually seated all the way down as it may take a wrench to get them past dirty threads.

2.nothing needs to be removed to do the drive belts. just make sure your order is correct so you don't get one on and then have to undo it again. the tensioners can be very tedious, just relax and take your time.

3.Yes the power steering pump comes off, may be difficult getting to all the bolts though, driver air cleaner has to come out of course. Are you positive its the pump? the lines easily fail sense they pass the exhaust manifold and dry out.

4.Relieve all pressure from the system by cranking with the relay pulled or fuel inertia switch out. Remove all possible carpets from the back and keep some water nearby and a large bucket or pan to let the excess fuel drip into. Plug lines with appropriate diameter screwdriver or use hose clamp.

hope this helps

Thanks, that should help quite a bit thanks. I wasn't going to remove the pump. just not have it on the belt. I have replaced one hose (high pressure) already but can't determine is the rack is leaking near the steering linkage or its the return hose, hence getting someone with lift and more knowledge to diagnose.

Though usually spark plugs are slightly more torqued than a hand tighten though I've heard 8 ft-lb is the number for these engines. my cars have been higher torque if I recall.

I'll probably wait on the fuel filter, need to get some clamps first. hah.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

sorry, i guess people have different ideas of what hand tight is...didn't really think of that. I guess my idea is actually like 6 ft/lbs. I can see wear some people may think it just means until it initially stops while you are putting in minimal effort with your hand.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
sorry, i guess people have different ideas of what hand tight is...didn't really think of that. I guess my idea is actually like 6 ft/lbs. I can see wear some people may think it just means until it initially stops while you are putting in minimal effort with your hand.
No worries, I just don't know how much force a normal hand can torque with wrench or otherwise. I just am less inclined to put significant force into something that's not mine, and English made which are somewhat temperamental. Toyota it is not. But thats why Jaguars are special aren't they?

Thanks for the tips though, they will be helpful!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

idk if you have any ratcheting wrenches or wondered why they are necessary....but i want some nearly every time i work on my car.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Be sure to put anti-seize on those plug threads.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mrtalkradio
Be sure to put anti-seize on those plug threads.
Preaching to the choir. Haha.