XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

running too rich.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I just happened to be messing around in the ROM today with this, UC is the Blue / Orange wire and YB is obviously Yellow / Black.

Please tell me on what planet UC logically means Blue and Orange (and yet they DON'T use "O"!)

D

Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

Now you know why I just cut and replaced each wire individually as it came out of the fender! All this was making me dizzy...

Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Just in case we are at cross purposes, according to my diagram the pins on the ECU North American emissions spec ECU and the wires to them have different colours than UK spec. The pins numbers read RHS to LHS (opposite direction to a book) and numbers start at the bottom row RHS. My diagram says for North Amercian spec:

Pin 5 feeds 5v to the CTS wire colour code UC (do not know what that codes is, sorry).

Pin 7 is the return from the TPS wiper and is colour code YB wire. This carries the variable voltage from the TPS to the ECU.

Pin 19 (top row first pin on RHS) is the other, non-wiper, wire from the TPS and is also colour code YB that also is joined to the return from CTS. So both these YB wires from the TPS and CTS go to the same pin. BUT the colour code on the wires to pin 7 (TPS wiper voltage signal indicating throttle position) and pin 19 is the same, even though they seem to have separate functions. So knowing which YB wire you are testing is important, as they must carry different voltages.

Pin 20 is 5v feed to the TPS and the air temp sensor (code YK).

Pin 21 is the return from the Air temp sensor (colour RU, but I do not know what that colour code is either).

So these five pins between them cover all the inputs and outputs from the ATS, CTS and TPS.

Greg

so according to this diagram i should in theory be able to splice pin 5 to both the CTS and TPS and effectively achieve my 5v output. thanks for this post.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,247 Likes on 5,431 Posts

Originally Posted by M90power
so according to this diagram i should in theory be able to splice pin 5 to both the CTS and TPS and effectively achieve my 5v output. thanks for this post.
The real quetion is why have you not got 5v from pin 20 ? It seems a bit unlikely that there is not 5v at pin 20, more likely that there is a break or earth in the wire between pin 20 and the CTS. Splicing other wires into other pins seems a bit high risk to a non-electronics person like me! Maybe someone else can advise.

Greg

Old 03-31-2012, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

M can you remove the connector from the ECU and remove the connectors from the CTS ATS and TPS then measure each wire to ground, (bearing in mind that the problem or short might be intermittent).

What you are looking for is NO continuity. I suspect you have a wire shorted to ground. I have been fixing electronics for 30 years and I think you have a loom issue. Once the loom is ruled out then start looking for other issues, first rule in fault finding is start at one end and rule out the easiest parts first, DO NOT move on until you are 100% certain.

Wire colour codes
The first code is the major colour and the second is the trace.
B = black
N = Brown
R = Red
O = Orange
G = Green
U = Blue
P = Purple
LG = Light Green
S = Grey
W= White

Not sure what C is

Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

i dont understand how i can be getting no voltage to a wire that doesnt appear to be broken according to my ohm meter.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

Because if the insulation is broken and exposing the wire to ground your voltage can be going to ground and never making it to the end. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. You will still have continuity (ohms) with a short.

Think of it this way, if you make a Y with your wires, and put your ohm meter on 2 leads and ground the third, you will still have continuity.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 AM

Have you tried putting your old TPS back in yet?

Jumping blu/or to get 5v to the TPS is not a permanent fix and it also doesn't get you anywhere in your faultfinding. All you do is risk burning up another ECU. Rebuild the harness to the TPS / CTS / IAS - it will take you fiften minues, you can then tell all of us that we're wrong and we can start looking elsewhere. Even if it's not the problem, it probably needs to be done anyway.

D

Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
Because if the insulation is broken and exposing the wire to ground your voltage can be going to ground and never making it to the end. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. You will still have continuity (ohms) with a short.

Think of it this way, if you make a Y with your wires, and put your ohm meter on 2 leads and ground the third, you will still have continuity.
thanks for confirming this. i suspected as much but wasnt sure. ill be rigging up a temporary harness first chance i get.

Have you tried putting your old TPS back in yet?
i dismantled the old TPS so that the mustang TPS would engage the capstan.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

i jumped pin 7 (red wiper wire) to the TPS. 0.14v...... so like ive been saying all along, theres no output voltage from pin 7.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Everybody here has said rebuild your harness first. I think you need to take this advice and before you start replacing this and rebuild that DO THE HARNESS. You are not going to fix this by jumping all over the place.

Once the harness is rebuilt and confirmed as good, then if you still have a problem move onto the next item in the chain. If you do it this way you stand a chance of actually fixing the problem.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

well i found out why Jag didnt run the TPS and CTS with the same 5v output.... because you only get 3v to each sensor if you splice the 5v supply from the CTS.

that being said, the only reason why pin 7 could possibly not put out 5v is if its got no input voltage from the harness. i just wish i knew where to start. my schematic is too vague. anyone have a schematic of the ECU circuitry itself? apart from the harness wiring?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

i just wish i knew where to start. my schematic is too vague. anyone have a schematic of the ECU circuitry itself? apart from the harness wiring?
Repair the harness splice new wiring under the bonnet DO THIS FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

Forget what is happening in ECU you DO NOT KNOW where the problem is yet. The only way is a process of elimination and the harness is the easiest to fix and the MOST likely to be your problem.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

the output end of the harness is clearly not the issue. the input end has to be the problem. such as from the battery to the ECU, from the coil to the ECU. from the amp to the ECU. etc.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

the output end of the harness is clearly not the issue. the input end has to be the problem. such as from the battery to the ECU, from the coil to the ECU. from the amp to the ECU. etc.
NO NO NO NO NO you have not been listening (sorry I am frustrated). If you have a short to ground or 2 wires shorted to each other (even harder to find) within the loom this will cause the problem you have. LIKE SOMEWHERE BETWEEN THE ECU AND THE SENSOR

I have been fixing electronics for 32 years so I know what I am talking about, and the way you are going about this there is little to no chance that you will fix it.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

i just jumped the 5v supply to the TPS. so if i bypasses that potential short then i shouldve had 5v right?

Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 PM

Please stop everything you are doing and listn to what everyone is telling you.

STOP jumping everything all over the place. This is how you fry ECUs.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE REBUILD YOUR HARNESS.

Everything you are seeing is indicative of crispy shorted wiring under the hood. Stop what you are doing and rebuild he harness. It wll take you two hours.

Then, if the problem still exists, you have now eliminated the MOST COMMON sourcefor behavior like this.

Stop jumping things all over. You are not getting anywhere by doing this.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

i just jumped the 5v supply to the TPS. so if i bypasses that potential short then i shouldve had 5v right?
How did you do that?

Did you cut the wires at the ECU or did you just splice into the wire that is there?

If you spliced into the wire and left it connected to the ECU then if that wire has a short that short is still in the circuit.

What I would do and in this order is:

Check the earthing - measure resistance of ECU case to ground, then measure engine to ground, ground will be chassis. Both should be less than 1ohm. If this is good

Then remove the connector prior to the engine bay - this is located behind the front wheel, you will need to remove the inner section just behind the wheel and you will see a large rectangular connector (there is one on each side of the car, I would think it would be one on the Left) just trace the TPS wires back to the plug.

Once this plug is disconnected ALL of the engine bay wiring is isolated then measure voltages from these pins. This is direct from the ECU. If voltages are correct here then you have an engine bay wiring issue.

If you have incorrect voltages here then we will look further but do this first and report back.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
How did you do that?

Did you cut the wires at the ECU or did you just splice into the wire that is there?

If you spliced into the wire and left it connected to the ECU then if that wire has a short that short is still in the circuit.

What I would do and in this order is:

Check the earthing - measure resistance of ECU case to ground, then measure engine to ground, ground will be chassis. Both should be less than 1ohm. If this is good

Then remove the connector prior to the engine bay - this is located behind the front wheel, you will need to remove the inner section just behind the wheel and you will see a large rectangular connector (there is one on each side of the car, I would think it would be one on the Left) just trace the TPS wires back to the plug.

Once this plug is disconnected ALL of the engine bay wiring is isolated then measure voltages from these pins. This is direct from the ECU. If voltages are correct here then you have an engine bay wiring issue.

If you have incorrect voltages here then we will look further but do this first and report back.
i cut the wire to pin 7 about 6 inches away from the ECU, jumped it to the engine bay, and then measured 0.14v from the new wire to the yellow TPS high side wire.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

i cut the wire to pin 7 about 6 inches away from the ECU, jumped it to the engine bay, and then measured 0.14v from the new wire to the yellow TPS high side wire.
I thought pin 7 was return from the TPS

My circuit diagram has no pinouts on the ECU I'll have to do some research

GO and measure the resistance to ground as I said in my last post

Quick Reply: running too rich.