XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Scumbag Deterrence

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 09:26 AM
Received 612 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Scumbag Deterrence

One of the dilemna that I suffer with all my classics is deterring the scumbags from both stealling and also damaging the car.

Having the confidence to leave the cars parked anywhere always messes up the day because it is never out of the mind whether the car will be there in an undamaged state, it has actually got to the point where I simply won't leave the cars in places I can't see them.

Biggest paranoia is damage by ******'s that have no care for what it is that they destroy. My experience of visible deterrents is that they aren't really and ******* will do damage to remove, alarms are so pointless - nobody seems to pay them any attention these days, I do intend to incoporate a biometric immobiliser but beyond that not sure what I can do to eliminate the discomfort and it leads to the cars being left at home far too often.

Don't know if there is a solution, does anyone else here share the same concerns, has anyone come up with a magic bullet solution.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 09:36 AM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BenKenobi
One of the dilemna that I suffer with all my classics is deterring the scumbags from both stealling and also damaging the car.

Having the confidence to leave the cars parked anywhere always messes up the day because it is never out of the mind whether the car will be there in an undamaged state, it has actually got to the point where I simply won't leave the cars in places I can't see them.

Biggest paranoia is damage by ******'s that have no care for what it is that they destroy. My experience of visible deterrents is that they aren't really and ******* will do damage to remove, alarms are so pointless - nobody seems to pay them any attention these days, I do intend to incoporate a biometric immobiliser but beyond that not sure what I can do to eliminate the discomfort and it leads to the cars being left at home far too often.

Don't know if there is a solution, does anyone else here share the same concerns, has anyone come up with a magic bullet solution.
Park it? Why would you do that?

The following 2 users liked this post by jag-reflex:
Greg in France (08-26-2020), JagGuardian (08-28-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 09:40 AM

Sometimes I need to pee ...

Old 08-26-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

May I suggest not living next to Manchester
It would be no surprise to find the car on bricks.

Joking aside is it likely that people are going to be stealing your car? I've got a steering wheel lock if I need to use it, probably the most simple solution nice and visual as well, 30 secs to attach / remove so not too much hassle.
Round my way it is more likely to be a newer car with keyless entry that they can sell on quickly. I guess the Jag might have good scrap value though with all the metal...

JagGuardian (08-28-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 10:36 AM

Likely where I live no. I live out in the sticks so 21 miles from Manchester, I live in a place where strangers are easily spotted, as there is one way in and one way out. I'm relatively secure where I live and have several 'defences' in place - because in rural environments you have to. Nobody would get a car off our driveway without breaking into the house first, two of the cars have trackers fitted that trigger if certain conditions aren't met, I also have other 'measures' in place.

I don't treat any of my classics like garage queens so if the missus and I fancy a stroll in the lake district or on a beach it is kind of nice to take one of the classics for a spin. Whilst it is nice to get out for a spin in them anyhow it is also nice to sit on a mountainside or beachfront watching the world pass by. It is on these trips that I'm the most bothered. I do have a disklock as it happens.

I know this is an older report but I feel it is more and more valid - rare cars can provide rich pickings for spares that are utterly untraceable and easily disposed via certain online resources, contrary to belief the Police are unlikely to do anything beyond providing a crime number.

"Increasingly, thieves are hunting for valuable classic cars, which offer about as much resistance as a shoebox. As a result, the UK has seen an increase in thefts of classic cars in recent years."

Last edited by BenKenobi; 08-26-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts

Hi Ben

When it comes to Parking Paranoia, I'm probably worse than you or should that be nobodies worse than me, as I simply cannot bear Parking my Car anywhere, namely because other people tend to be so careless and don't tend to think what they're doing

In the Summer we used to drive out to a Marina, where we would take a Picnic to have in the Car as we watched the Boats sail by, which at night with all the Harbour Lights dancing on the Water was very atmospheric and relaxing

Until one night I saw this couple, who were walking their dog along the Quayside, which would have been ok except they let it of the lead at which point it quickly picked up the scent of the Fried Chicken that we were eating and came bounding over at full speed towards the XJS

Where I had very fortunately left the key in the ignition, where I suddenly turned all religious and was begging the Almighty, that She would start on the button which very fortunately She did and hammered her out of that Car Park with my foot down on the Floor, tearing up the gravel and sending it out like a demented Shot Blaster

(Is that hardcore enough for you Jay?)

Anyway to continue, if I had hung about, this great big Alsatian, would have had its claws all over the door, where no doubt the dog's owners would have just shrugged and run off, leaving me with a 10k paint job to sort out

Also never park by a 4X4 containing kids or even adults, who seem to fling their doors open with careless abandon, like what happen to my Merc which is my daily driver, where the owner of this 4X4 just let his door fly open, hitting the Merc on the side, where I was ultra lucky that this door bashed into the protection strip and not the paint

Thank goodness it wasn't the XJS

But even worse if it could get worse was when I left my Classic Merc in an Empty Car Park!

What could possibly go wrong?

Well how about a learner driver, practising reverse Parking next to another Car where of course that Car just had to be mine!

Where as you may have guessed by now, the old biddy that was behind the Wheel didn't look where She was going and stove the door right in, causing £3,000 pounds worth of damage as I insisted that the repair was done at a Merc Main Dealer

But even so it took a year to get her to pay up, as She denied all knowledge of the incident, even though I wasn't even in the Car at the time but walking back towards it after doing some shopping

Again Thank Goodness it wasn't the XJS

Though if you fancy reading about a slightly more amusing parking incident (or should that be Non Parking) incident involving the XJS then maybe you should have a look at this 'I'm Not Parking My Car There!'

About 1/3 of the page linked down below

'I'm Not Parking My Car There!'

XJS You just can't take them anywhere!

Old 08-26-2020, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

I'm thinking of wiring a kill switch into the inside of the rear cigerette ash tray, whos going to look inside for a tiny switch?

For exterior damage unless your repainting with 5x the clearcoat like a modern supercar not muuuuch you can do other than to take up two parking spots. It's a Jaaaag so we're allowed to.

Eventually when I get new lens glass I want to layer on some 3M shatter proof stuff, all kinds of thickness from rock chip resistant up to sledge-hammer resistant.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:08 AM

Hmm - ya know I hadn't considered the headlight glasses - going to add that stuff to the list for sure - I put some similar stuff on a phone once

@orangeblossom I'm still reading - how lives can parallel - except with me it was fast Fords - Jaguars were well beyond my frugal means ...

orangeblossom (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts

Hi Ben

Yeah! Small World isn't it but you are so right, not being able to park that Car does spoil the driving experience and I too never ever thought I'd own an XJS but they can be addictive! although you really need two, so you've always got one to drive while the other one is broken down

The Mercs a much more reliable Car although it does get through Fuel Pumps, as I use the el-Cheapo ones at £30 a time, instead of paying £200 for a 'supposedly' top of the range one as well as a new filter! hard to believe with my Track Record I know!

Though having said that Car for Car, nothing compares to the XJS where it's not so much a nice Trip out but more of an Adventure, where I am always paranoid that I won't make it home and once got stranded when the CPS failed, which then stopped the engine dead on a duel carriageway

Last edited by orangeblossom; 08-26-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

I have the perfect solution. Well, perhaps not perfect, but very good: live in Japan. That my car might be stolen while parked simply doesn't enter into my head. It's about as likely as it being taken by a UFO for spare parts. Door dings are more of a worry, but very rare--far more likely for me to misjudge the length of the door and open it into a wall by mistake. Yes, that has happened. And I try to park where there are fewer cars around, just to be safe. A few years ago there was a news cycle about some weirdo going around lighting fires on the tops of tyres of expensive imported cars, mind. And I do lock her, of course. But in general, people here take care of their cars and extend the same courtesy to others. I drive to where I want to go, park, and the only thing I worry about is whether she'll start up again properly.

I've just come up with a great anti-theft deterrent: a fake manual gear lever you cover your automatic lever with. Everyone knows kids these days can't drive stick. In fact, an older car with "three on the tree" can probably be left doors unlocked, key in the ignition, engine running, and a great red neon sign saying "Steal Me!" and it'll still be there when you get back from your holiday. Albeit badly damaged from chavs and thugs frustrated at being unable to find how to get it in gear....

The following 2 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
Grant Francis (08-26-2020), orangeblossom (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:23 PM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Pretty easy for me to disengage the inertia switch. Turns the fuel pump off which means no start. Also have a fuel tap between the big tank and the surge tank that i can turn off - which only gives a few litres of fuel before she runs out

Cheers
Steve

The following 2 users liked this post by Bez74:
Grant Francis (08-26-2020), orangeblossom (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
not muuuuch you can do other than to take up two parking spots. It's a Jaaaag so we're allowed to.
I wouldn't recommend that. Just draws even more attention to your car. There's people out there who would vandalize your car to "teach you a lesson" about parking between the lines. With my classic car insurance, I can't use them to run errands anyway because its not allowed to leave them parked unattended. But with my daily drivers, I just try to be very careful about where I park. I usually park some distance from the storefront, but that's no guarantee that I won't find some old beater six inches from my car when I return. One strategy is to look for curbs or cart corrals or any other obstacles that I can use to protect at least one side. Another thing I consider is the slope of the parking surface. If the lot slopes away from the storefront, then the far end of the parking lot may actually NOT be ideal. I don't want to be "downhill" from runaway shopping carts. If its a windy day, I also consider the wind direction. I don't want a gust of wind catching the door of the adjacent car and blowing it into mine.

In parking garages, I find there's often a few trapezoidal shaped spaces in or near the corners that are wider or that the difference in angles allows for some extra distance. But I avoid the exposed aisle ends of angled spaces where my rear bumper is exposed to maneuvering vehicles negotiating a turn. I try not to park on the ramps if I can avoid it because that's an invitation for someone to let loose of their door and it will fall open toward the downslope. Most people are driving alone so if you must park next to another car, its usually best to park on their passenger side, particularly look for the last space in the row on your left or first space on the right (here in the US, I guess vice versa in the UK).

One of the last things I look at is the perimeter landscaping and the little islands. Too many times I've come back to find the sprinkler systems have spotted my otherwise clean car. If its well maintained and very green, I assume the sprinkler will come on at any minute. If the vegetation is brown and dry, then its probably safe to park next to. Trees though could be a whole chapter. I generally try NOT to park under trees due to all the fallout from sap, insects, bird ****, leaves, twigs and even large branches if its windy enough. It might be tempting to park in the shade, but a tree will do far more damage than the sun and much, much quicker. Nowadays tho, many localities are requiring developers have 50-60% tree canopy and so you don't have any choice. Then you have to start looking at the varieties of trees and the level of maintenance. Trees with lots of tiny little twigs all twisting together like spaghetti attract more birds than trees with large diameter, straight branches. Some varieties of trees like Pecan are somewhat "self-pruning", dropping sizeable branches on a whim. During the Fall, the leaves often collect underneath trim or in the scuttle in front of the windshield where they can stay for years and act like a sponge, inviting tinworm. Some trees drip sap like crazy at certain times of the year but may be fine at other times of year. Some trees may be actively shedding acorns, nuts or other forms of seed, while there may also be across the parking lot a male variety of the same tree with no projectiles. You kind of have to know your local trees, but better yet just never to park under a tree at all.

I could go on and on and on about parking strategies, but the only effective strategy I know of for avoiding troubles caused by delinquents is to avoid other humans and that's tough. Unfortunately, when you are driving a classic Jaguar, the only way to do that is to stay out of sight entirely.

The following 2 users liked this post by pdupler:
gvs1047 (08-27-2020), orangeblossom (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Odd, in my city a proper classic is well respected, I've never been paranoid unless I'm in the awful junkie skid row area of Gastown...which is never. If your a fat chinese boy driving a lambo expect to be keyed but even the hobos ask me WHAT YEAR?? as I get out of the car. There is a certain minimum respect for Jags.

The following 3 users liked this post by VancouverXJ6:
Greg in France (08-27-2020), JagGuardian (08-29-2020), orangeblossom (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
but even the hobos ask me WHAT YEAR?? as I get out of the car. There is a certain minimum respect for Jags.
I was out in my 1966 S Type today and a guy in a big Dodge pickup going the other way shouted "Nice Jag" as he went past.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Greg in France (08-27-2020), Mike1610 (08-28-2020), orangeblossom (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 09:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

reading these comments about all the thought that goes into parking the car is comical. I've never given that much thought into where to park, but then again, i haven't been blessed enough to own an example that would warrant that sort of mind stress. There's something satisfying about driving a beater (not a jag) where you are the one who doesn't give 2 poops about where you park or what might run into it.

Greg in France (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Bez74
Pretty easy for me to disengage the inertia switch. Turns the fuel pump off which means no start. Also have a fuel tap between the big tank and the surge tank that i can turn off - which only gives a few litres of fuel before she runs out

Cheers
Steve
Steve
What sot of tap did you use? I would love a tap there, but I am worried about leaks.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:02 AM

A lot of this I practice, supermarkets I make sure one person remains in the car and I always seek the furthest possible space away from trolley shelters, walkways, recycling banks, areas that are clearly shortcuts for people.

I do have a 'beater' although that kind of insults the car as it isn't really, it is just a more modern and practical VW Passat Estate, this does collections, deliveries, trips to the local refuse centre all that stuff, but it ain't a Jaguar nor near as much 'fun' if that's the correct word.

Unfortunately there are elements within UK society that care little for others, they have serious 'entitlement' complexes and a lot of the youth have attitudes that would have got your head kicked in when I was growing up, answering back to an elder was dangerous territory, failure to show due respect had consequences unlike the UK today - no I don't think that todays methods are better or more 'civilised'.

I have had headlights kicked in - watched the little **** do it, reported it, was told it was my word against his and he just stood their with a grin from one side of his face to the other, I've had the wifes car keyed so many times I've lost count (she's a teacher), I've had grafitti sprayed on the car and a convertible roof slashed with a knife, I had one car that they couldn't steal due to countermeasures so they set it alight - so yeh I'm a tad paranoid. There are places I flat out will not take the classics now, into any major city is for sure a biggy unless I'm just passing through.

One of the cars I own is the only one of its kind - a Yellow Scimitar Sabre that was created for and owned by Jonathan Heynes, sure it isn't the only Sabre (though there aren't many) but this one has the history.

If parts were easy to come by for the classics I have then so be it - but they're not so things like broken mirrors / glass / stolen car badges (yes Ive had that too) are a big deal. It isn't just about the cost to repair - it is whether you can even find the part to begin with.

The following 2 users liked this post by BenKenobi:
orangeblossom (08-27-2020), TobyJag (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 11:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lack of respect /entitlement mentality of ‘scumbags’ certainly does take some of the joy out of having something nice. And that’s a goid point about part scarcity

if only there was a cloaking device that could make it look like this when u park it- complete with a force field. https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...on-xle/2859849

Last edited by TobyJag; 08-27-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 384 Likes on 282 Posts

The best deterrence to theft is a manual transmission. With less than 2% of new cars sold with manual transmissions that means 98% of younger drivers can’t drive one and won’t steal it. If there are so few capable of driving one the market for stolen vehicles is tiny and that makes tracking one easier.

Second damage, don’t park where your car won’t be respected. Car shows, responsible places Populated by mature responsible people like theater, Opera, fine dining etc reduce exposure to the destructive element.
Own a sacrificial goat for rough neighborhoods, poorly secured public events, day to day bump and grind commute. Since you don’t change oil in a nice suit or dress. Deal with the harsh reality of modern society in a similar fashion.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mguar:
Brewtech (08-30-2020), orangeblossom (08-27-2020), TobyJag (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by BenKenobi
I have had headlights kicked in - watched the little **** do it, reported it, was told it was my word against his and he just stood their with a grin from one side of his face to the other, I've had the wifes car keyed so many times I've lost count (she's a teacher), I've had grafitti sprayed on the car and a convertible roof slashed with a knife, I had one car that they couldn't steal due to countermeasures so they set it alight - so yeh I'm a tad paranoid. There are places I flat out will not take the classics now, into any major city is for sure a biggy unless I'm just passing through.
Bloody hell. Is that common throughout the UK now, or do you just live in a really bad area? Because I don't know anyone in any country to which that litany of woes has happened. My brother lives near London and drives a Lexus but hasn't ever mentioned it being attacked (don't think he drives it into London if he can help it, mind).
In over twenty years of car ownership in Japan I've had the following parking incidents:
1. A farmer backed into our small shopping car and cracked one of the rear lights then buggered off leaving dirt and grass in the wound (how we suspect it was a farmer).
2. Some cat would insist on walking over my XJS with muddy paws. Happened at least twice.
3. Once I left the Jag parked in a traditional working-class neighbourhood in downtown Tokyo for several hours at night and came back to find... she was completely untouched.
4. End of list.

JagGuardian (08-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Scumbag Deterrence