XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

seat cover replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Default seat cover replacement

does anyone know what it entails to replace the seat cover? I have a 91 xjs I want to recover, purchasing the covers to do it myself.

how do you remove the back? how do you remove the head rest? are the seats easy to remove? can you swap older xjs seats 91 with newer facelift seats (considering this)?

Old 10-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,041 Posts

hoodun,

Seat removal and dismantling is quite practical. The seat cover removal and replacement is a somewhat more protracted affair.

I took the drivers seat out of my 94 AJ16 at the weekend for some leather refurbishment. The workshop manual steps are quite simple for this. I then removed the runners and motor frame. The manual seems incorrect on the steps for doing this. (I think their procedures actually relate to pre-94 cars). However quite simple to do once you realise that you need to replug it back into the car electrics to move the runners at one point!

Splitting the backrest from the base is very easy although you have to wiggle the two pivot points apart. Again, the manual procedures detail it well.

I have integral headrests but the headrest removal is also detailed in the manual.

From memory, I'm pretty sure the removal of the seat covers is also in the manual.

The one thing you should not skimp on is the replacement of foams, diaphragms and clips whilst it is all apart.

I don't know but believe that you can substitute later seats into a 91. If you're not sure, measure the width of your runners and the distance from front bolts to back bolts and I'll compare to mine whilst it's out.

Cheers

Paul

Old 10-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 850 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodun
does anyone know what it entails to replace the seat cover? I have a 91 xjs I want to recover, purchasing the covers to do it myself.

how do you remove the back? how do you remove the head rest? are the seats easy to remove? can you swap older xjs seats 91 with newer facelift seats (considering this)?

It's pretty straightforward once you have the seat out of the car. The back cover is secured by screws at the bottom which you can see with the seat folded forward.

IIRC, once you have them out of the car, you first remove the covers that hide the spring hinges, then remove the spring hinge fasteners so you now have the seat in two pieces. The covers are secured with either upholostery rings or staples.

Find Ed Sowell's website and I think he has a full write up this. I removed mine once to fix the seat heaters.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's the write up. Its very thorough. It uses clips similar to the motorcycle seat I just recovered. I imagine the clips on there are toast, or will be when I remove them.

The car is low mileage and the cushions are fine. I see no need to replace them. The leather is just damaged from Florida sun adn the top being down. Plus someone replaced the drivers seat with a cheap vinyl cover. I am getting real leather seat covers made.

http://www.efsowell.us/ed/jag/body/i...FrontSeats.pdf

The following users liked this post:
GroovyMom (10-13-2015)