XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Seeking help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts
Default RE: Seeking help!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE ARE MANY COMPANIES THAT SUPPLY GAS TANK SEALERS THAT WORK VERY WELL IF USED PROPERLY. AFTER ALL THERE ARE MANY TANKS ARE CARS MUCH OLDER THAN YOURS THAT HAVE RUSTED TANKS. HOW WAS IT REPAIRED? YOU COULD HAVE A RADITOAR SHOP BOIL IT OUT TO REMOVE RUST, THEN WELD IN A PATCH PANEL TOO. WE'VE SENT OUT TANKS TO HAVE THIS AND SEALERS APPLIED AND NONE EVER CAME BACK AGAIN FOR THIS PROBLEM. I WOULD SUSPECT POOR REPAIR THE FIRST TIME.
TRY THESE LINKS
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...s_tank_sealers
BOTH OF THESE COMPANIES ARE BIG IN THE RESTORATION SUPPLY BUSINESS

Old 11-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Seeking help!!!!!!!!!!!

Another good sealer that many Jaguar owners can attest to is POR15. Having done this myself, I can tell you you'll never have the problem again, even with the pin holes. As Brutal mentioned, take it to a radiator shop first for a good boil. If the pin holes worry you, they can solder them up for you at the same time. Mine cost about $20.00 for this same problem. Then, I sealed it with POR15, great results. POR15 can also be used to fix minor rust issues, like around windshields, etc, if major repairs aren't needed yet. They have a nice website, just google POR15.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Listen up, or You'll be sorry

Hi. I have a Canadian 1989 v12 5.3 and have gone through two tanks before I got smart enough to really, really understand these cars. My first advice is, if you are not willing to learn to do your own work, dump the car NOW. If someone is maintaining it for you, almost everything will be somewhere around $1000 US to fix-- doors, windows, radiators, shocks, pinion seals-- this is an unaffordable hobby unless you are willing to become a GOOD mechanic on THIS car. Fuel tanks go bad for one of three reasons: water gathers underneath them and rusts; over pressurization of the fuel system, which can be caused by any number of problems, none good, which over pressurize the fuel tank; a small rivet in some models lies just beneath the tank and wears into the metal. All that said, if you still just have to have this car-- download Kirby Palm's free XKS HELP book, buy the shop manual, AND Haynes even if 85. One more thing-- as an ex-US aircraft carrier Chief Engineer-- these cars are unique in the sense that they were designed in the pre-electronic age to solidify Jags racing position. All that has happened after that is a retrofit to the original idea. ...from AC, to emissions control, automatic transmission, unleaded fuel-- none of these were in the plan. Personally-- and I've driven jags for 40 years-- sell it, look hard for a 2002 XJR convertible and drive in style forever.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Msloescher
look hard for a 2002 XJR convertible and drive in style forever.
While it would be a fruitless search, it would definitely be stylish. There is only one known example of anything similar and it lives at the Jaguar Heritage Museum.

And that was a 4 year old thread you resurrected.