XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Shop Recommendations NV/NorCal

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 06:41 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Shop Recommendations NV/NorCal

Hi all. My '88 project car isn't getting done at a speed that I'd like, mainly due to me never having time to work on it. I've contacted a few shops about doing the work, but none of them are interested. Is there a shop in northern Nevada or northern California that wants to work on these cars?

Old 05-20-2021, 06:49 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Have you ever checked your local Craigslist? If you check under Services -> Automotive, you might find someone you can work with?

Old 05-20-2021, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
Have you ever checked your local Craigslist? If you check under Services -> Automotive, you might find someone you can work with?
I didn't until you suggested it. I didn't find anything Jaguar specific, but I just emailed a mobile mechanic who says he works on everything. We'll see what he says.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:22 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Just be careful. Mobile mechanics especially. A lot of them say a lot of things.

I looked up the Reno, NV Craigslist and found a "Custom Fabrication" post that could be of intertest.

WD Fabrication?

I'm not sure what you need done, but I'd at least call a few guys. Try to check them out online as well. Maybe a Yelp review or something?

I used a Craigslist guy to repaint my car. I was very happy with the work. He did a perfectionists job on the body, which I was not expecting. The paint work itself was good.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 850 Likes on 531 Posts

There is a Jaguar Club in Reno HOME - Reno Jaguar Club

The clubs officers have emails listed at the bottom of the webpage, I’d reach out to them for help.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:59 PM

WD Fabrication is in Sacramento. They might be an option. On their web page, it shows they did a 911 Turbo, so they aren't stuck on American iron like some of those shops. The guy coming to look at mine tomorrow is from Sierra Nevada Mobile Mechanics. They have good Google reviews. The shop near Auburn, California that turned me down gave me the name and number of another shop in Sacramento. I haven't called yet. I want to see if this mobile guy works out. That would save me a 160 mile tow.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:11 PM

The mobile mechanics showed up today. They did a lot of work, and will be coming back tomorrow. They were a bit stumped as to how to replace the accelerator cable. Anyone know off the top of your head? I'll also be searching.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:43 PM

To answer my own question and ask another: Sierra Nevada Mobile Mechanics did a good job putting my XJS back together. They aren't Jaguar experts, but they're willing to learn. I handed them a mess and they got it handled at a reasonable price. Now, how do I edit my posts?

Old 05-27-2021, 10:37 PM

The version of Chrome I'm using isn't displaying an edit button. This may be a side effect of me using a Windows 7 machine. I must retract my recommendation for Sierra Nevada Mobile Mechanics. They managed to break a hood strut getting the hood on, and then misaligned it so badly that once I opened it I couldn't close it again. They took their money without disclosing the trouble with the hood and drove off. Now they won't answer the phone.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:00 PM

Update: I decided to update this thread with a list of shops that wouldn't work on my car. It might save somebody some time:

Sierra Classic Sports Car, Meadow Vista, CA: Doesn't work on anything newer than a Series III E-Type
Carson Servicenter, Carson City, NV: "Too busy, try back in two years."
GMG Foreign Auto, Carson City, NV: Works on Jaguars, but not V12s. Suggested Valley Wagon.
Valley Wagon, Carson City, NV: Only works on German Cars
Mario's, Carson City, NV: Didn't want it and didn't elaborate.
Capitol Automotive, Carson City, NV: Does not work on vehicles of that age. Did not specify whether it's too old or too new.
Arrow Transmission, Reno, NV: Does not work on Jaguars and does not work on anything older than 1996. Suggest Reno Rennsport.
Reno Rennsport, Reno, NV: Works on Porches.

The car is currently at Sport Haus in Reno. I actually used to work for Sport Haus, but in a different location and under different owners. Like the ship of Theseus, everything has changed but the name. We'll see how they do.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

You might want to talk to Clive at XKs Unlimited in San Luis Obispo. He may be able to do what you want or can lead you in the right direction. Alternatively, try either the SFO or Sacramento Jag owners clubs for potential recommendations. Good luck. Another source of information could be JP at Jp's European in Huntington Beach. He's done work on my 94 6.0XJS.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:00 PM

Sport Haus is now only so-so. San Luis Obispo and Huntington Beach are both a little far, but I might be able to make something work. Before I try that, does anyone have an opinion on Black's Auto Restoration in Minden, NV?