XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Should I Fit these Brake Pads or Send them back for a refund?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,779 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by SNG Barratt USA
Not sure how others websites work but just an FYI, when ordering parts from our website you will find the part numbers are as below:

Plain number - Genuine Jaguar Product
Number ending with # - OEM
Number ending with * - Aftermarket
Number ending with K/U or alike - Usually an upgraded version

In this instance you'll see on our site that the OEM are indeed slotted whilst the aftermarket (in this case mintex) are not. Both of which we have been selling successfully for many years and are covered by our usual warranty.

JLM1510 Brake Pads Search Results here,.
If only other Firms did that, then there wouldn't be any problem

Thanks for replying

Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Hi OB,
I understand your concern and agree to a large extent with PJTS regardingthe importance of safety items like brakes.

Despite the previous comments I would not hesitate to fit those pads, I will be very surprised if the braking system isn't fine with those.

As you state Brembo are a good brand with superb reputation.

Finally, like you I Am not a mechanic, and whilst I have tackled moderate jobs in younger years I now lack confidence to tackle anywhere near as much as you, despite that I managed to change front pads on my xjs, fairly easy job, in the worst Case if you are still unhappy after fitting you could always replace with pads to your precise requirements
Hi Paul

I've got the ones I wanted now so I'm happy

Old 11-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Guys
The OEM brakes are one of the best features of the XJS. Until brake fade occurs (ie the inability of the pad/disc combination to generate a heat gradient between them and thus convert kinetic energy to heat) the pad area does not affect braking. It might not even then if the fade cause is not pad-related. All modern Jaguars have FAR smaller pads than our XJSs.
Even with standard discs and pads I have never experienced brake fade even with stops from three figure speeds. At UK speed limits, or even those limits plus 50%, you will never experience fade unless you find yourself racing Lewis Hamilton down the Stelvio pass with the Devil himself chasing you both. Under these circumstances ANY brake system will fade.
Furthermore, brake pad material is far more efficient than it was even 15 years ago, let alone when the brakes were first OEM fitted in 1975. There is absolutely no danger in, or downside to, fitting chamfered pads to your XJS. If you are worried about fade you can always select a harder compound from the aftermarket, but at the price of greater pedal effort when the brakes are cold.
Here is a link to the engineering science behind braking, in case anyone is interested in going into it further:
Engineering Inspiration - Brake System Design Calculations

Greg
Hi Greg

I've got the ones I wanted now and they are now on the Car

I've got the ones I wanted now and they are now on the Car

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I agree that Brembo is a good brand and that chamfering is of no concern.

But, still, if you specifically wanted slotted pads, and the vendor sent something different than advertised, then send 'em back !

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug

Cheers, I've got the ones I wanted now and the others are going back.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BC XJS
I would use the pads. If you you think about it a slotted pad has less surface area than non slotted. Like stated before we have better quality materials these days and heat won't be a problem unless you are racing down mountains at hi speeds
Hi BC

I've got the ones I wanted and these have a Kevlar Compound, so they are the ones that I have now put on my Car.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
I'd put those pads in as they are.

If you want to be academic. What is lost by chamfering is gained by
no slots!

As Greg says, unless you are driving at max, the full 145 Mph and braking from there, you will feel no difference.

When I did the front pads of my XJwuzza 6, I do not recall slots or
chamfers. But, cleaning the ways in he caliper had to be done to get smooth movement. And a bit of a grind on the pad edge as well. Not much. Lubed carefully. And the "goop and tin on the pad backs as
squeak suppressors.

I did omit the springs on he pins by accident. So far no ill effects.

No esoteric brand. Just the well known Raybestos!!

But, academics can be fun. or merely delay progress.
Carl
Hi Carl

I've got what I wanted and even better than I wanted, as these have a Kevlar Compound.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul

To be absolutely honest there was nothing I would have liked better than a swanky set of Brembo on my Car, as they are the Brand that seems to be on everybody's lips and always a Conversation piece down the Pub.

But when you order something either based on a photo or a design, then that is exactly what you expect to receive, so I was understandably 'not very over the moon' to receive something different, regardless of how good they may have been.

To put it in Perspective how do you think we would feel, if we had ordered a dozen BR7EF Spark Plugs and instead of those they sent us BR7EFS.

Quite possibly no discernible difference in either one of those but would you have fitted the ones that you didn't order, just to save the hassle of sending them back?

To me its much more than a Car, it's an Obsession and so I couldn't live with myself if I did it any other way.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (11-15-2016), ptjs1 (11-15-2016)
Old 05-29-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Billy dsd is 100% correct.

Fyi I click on image rectangular icon above message input box, select from device and browse to photos name. Just be sure you know the name and the folder / subfolder path or you'll be pulling your hair out.
John

Old 06-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Performance Brakes - Brake Pads, Brake Rotors and Brake Kits

Here's what I just put on my 1994 XJS V-12. No chamfers.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:46 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

I just went out in my garage and looked at the EBC "yellow stuff" pads I purchased for my XJS. Both front and rear sets are chamfered AND slotted. I don't think I will loose any sleep over the loss of surface area on the EBC pads. I have been riding on EBC "red stuff" since I purchased mine 5 years ago. I am just now getting some front shimmy after 5 or 6 hard stops in our lousy Atlanta traffic. Also purchased EBC OEM style disks front and rear. It took three tries the for the supplier to send the correct rear disks, mine are outboard and vented. I found out from the dealer that my rear rotors are the same as my wife's 99XJ8L.