XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
You never know what the day will bring...It's all part of the adventure(I hate the word journey since everything these days is journey.)
10 litres of coolant(it will get you there,even in Australia),1 ltr oil,1 ltr ATF,small kit of spanners and tools with FBH,tape,wire,cable ties etc. Selection of globes and fuses and an old shirt to throw over my good one...oh,and mobile phone and "gold cover RACQ membership"(roadside assistance)

Attachment 88497Attachment 88498Attachment 88499
All I can see are Cases of Beer! Is that what you use for Coolant, or am I missing something?

Old 06-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Mmmmm.

I have the factory tool case, in the RH side aperture. A hammer (HUGE) also resides in there.

A SMALL fishing tackle box, with some spanners, screwdriver, pliers, zip ties, duct tape, hose clamps, fuses, tie wire, and odds and ends.

A decent wheel brace, those lug nuts are always TIGHTER than need be.

Small 12v compressor.

This ALL fits in the side aperture on the Left side.

I dont carry oil, plenty of places to buy it, even down here in our Outback. Same goes for trans fluid.

I dont carry coolant, just 5 ltrs of water. It does for the radiator in an emergency, and can be consumed by humans if needed.

I dont carry belts or hoses, WHY should I, they get replaced every 3-5 years no matter what, and doing them on the side of the road in 50c temps is simply not going to happen. OK, belts MAYBE???, but that bottom hose HAHAHA. If a hose does fail (NEVER had one of late) I simply use the duct tape in the tackle box, and leave the rad cap OFF. It gets you to where you need to be without fuss.

Bear in mind that the XJ-S HE involved here, has taken us TWICE around our coast road, or lack of roads in some cases, and NEVER let us down once. A very long way each time, about 15000kims from memory.Longest gap between civilisation was about 600kms.

Only issue on trip 2 was the oil light switch started to weep, so stopped at the nearest parts supplier, Toyota, and got a generic replacement, still in it, and cost $5.

We travel LIGHT, speed and economy are affected by too much junk.
Wow! Grant!

Adventurer or What! I would be very lucky to even do 5,000 Miles in a Year!

So maybe I'm just a bit paranoid, after the 'Caliper Failure' which should have been expected after an 8 year lay up with no use.

But She's running like a dream boat at the moment!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
Many moons ago I did a return trip to Moscow in my MGC Roadster.
Being a Billy No Mates I didn't have a passenenger so along with fan belt, plugs etc. I took a 12V camping fridge full of beer in the passenenger seat.
I'm surprised you didn't take Vodka!

When in Rome and all that!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Now that is the most sensible passenger EVER.

NO arguements, NO yak, yak, yak, just gimme pleasure at MY convenience.
In the UK we can't drink and drive, so we have to pull over first.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjsv12
Well that will be compared trunk?
Green bag contains some parts like : dist cap and rotor, quart oil and antifreeze, belts.
Black plastic box is a tools. Jack is under amplifier and spare wheel.

and three mechanics, they are not visible, only photos.

No place for a girlfriend
Hi Xjsv12

You seem to be carrying even more stuff than me! and that sound system looks Awesome!

If it wasn't for You spotting that I had put the Calipers on, facing the wrong way up, I would still be trying to bleed the brakes to this very day!

So a Very Special Thanks to You for pointing out my 'deliberate mistake!'

The following users liked this post:
xjsv12 (06-22-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
LOL!!
(';')
How do you get 3 people in a 2 seater Car!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
My "garage in the boot" is a charged cell phone PERIOD I'm not risking my neck trying to fix stuff on the side of the road, I'll call the tow truck and work on it at the house.

Side note. As a Flight Engineer and A/P Mech there is only one moto, fix it to as new or BETTER and if you can't find the time to do it right the first time when on earth are you going to find the time to fix it the second time! My cars (knock on wood) rarely if ever leave me anywhere or (can't even remember when that happened maybe when I was 16 and I'm now 51) I fix and operate my cars the same way I do Aircraft...as if my life depended on it! ( guess what it does! ) CHEERS!!!
Hi JT

That is a really great motto! which I will remember and act on!

If you can fix an Aircraft, a Car must really be a 'piece of cake' (Respect!)

Old 06-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yeah, sorta.

Each of my cars has an emergency tool box. Trouble is that each date way back. OK for simpler cars. For these sort modern FI cars, I dunno.

Each does have a shileleqgh. I used one on my Jeep once. Otherwise, just as walking sticks on steeper slippery slopes.

In a parking lot, my usually reliable Jeep refused to crank. twist he key and all the dash lights come on, then off!! first effort. cleaned the already cleaned battery terminals. Had tools for that. No go. Just as I was ready to call the tow service, I had an inspiration. Daughter was with me. I asked her to crank when I signaled. I whacked the starter a few good ones. Signaled, she cranked, zoom. Away we went. Do not stop do not pass go. Left her off at her house and came home. Yup, rebuilt starter fixed it. At 70 bucks, not worth messing with the old one. A rather nice unit via Autozone. As a lightweight unit of Mitsubishi heritage,it wasn't that bad a job to swap out Yeah, Mitsubishi and Chryser dd have a working agreement at one time.
As I worked, I thought of the infamous WWII Mitsubishi Zero fighter!!

Carl
Hi Carl

Awesome! Sometimes a great big hammer is all you ever need!

That used to work on TV sets as well!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
OB, You certainly know how to get people's attention!

Others have given you good advice about what to take as emergency supplies. I'm sure I can't add anything.

The bigger question you have to ask yourself is; how important is your GF(and her feelings) to you?

You already stepped in it by rifling through her professional case without permission, so you might want to consider backing off on your fear of breakdown and taking up the whole trunk space or you might face another, more serious breakdown of a domestic nature.

Although I don't feel the need to take along everything I own when I'm tripping, there are certain critically needed items I'm simply not comfortable leaving home without.

If you value her companionship, then At Least let her have HALF the boot space. Any reasonable girl will be happy with that.
(';')

OB, You certainly know how to get people's attention!

Hi Elinor

Ooooo Ooooo Ooooo! You are so close to guessing, what I do for a living its starting to hurt!

As for the GF don't feel too sorry for her, as She would be lost without me and She knows it!

Because I give her the one thing that She has never got from other Guys and that is lots of 'mental stimulation!'

Just think of all the fun She has, 'Slagging me off to her Mates!' and then when She's least expecting it, I do the total opposite and sweep her off her feet, by giving her a Great day out, like we had to day!

We went to a Country House Auction, where I chatted up the owner who drives an Aston Martin DB9 which in the looks department cannot hold a Candle to my XJS.

So the next thing you know, the Owner and his rather posh wife, are inviting us to stay for lunch!

Awesome!

As you get to know how the other half live and although we are the poor relations compared to people like that, I am a bit of a 'natural' when it comes to 'The Chat and The Charm!'

So the fact that they asked us to stay for lunch, just didn't surprise me as much as it did the GF and if She hadn't been with me, I doubt that would have happened, as anyone else would have been regarded as a 'punter!'

OMG! What a place and what an Amazing setting it was in, as we had lunch on the Terrace, over looking a million miles of lawn! and after a couple of glasses of Wine, for the GF not me, (as I was driving!)

In her somewhat 'blood shot' eyes, I could do now wrong and as a result the GF, was head over heels in love with me, all over again!

And then as an even bigger surprise, I took her out for a Candle lit meal at a very well known Hotel in the Country, where the Car Park was full of luxury Cars like Bentleys and Rolls Royces and Yes my XJS!

Which I might add didn't look out of place, in amongst all of that very expensive machinery!

The GF thought She'd died and gone to heaven!

So think of the fun She is going to have, telling all of her Mates that She made a mistake and that I was 'Mr Wonderful' after all!

Old 06-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

- cellphone charger
- couple of bottles of water
- overnight bag with change of clothes, toiletries
- some cash hidden away
- triple A

Bring the mayhem.

orangeblossom (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1800doogie
Hey OB!
I have to agree with Elinore,
Hey, you picked a Jag!
You must like the challenge!
If she is high maintenence, fussy, and tempermental, well, so is your Jag!
From what you have wrighten, she sounds like fun!
Just like the Jag!
You seeing a pattern here? LOL
Pete
Hi Pete

Hah! You are so right on about that!

As just like the Jag She is all of those things that you mention!

Except that She doesn't cost me half as much money to run!

Because She is a Beautician, who runs her own Beauty Salon, with one of her mates! and so as far as I am concerned She comes pretty much maintenance free, as she does that herself!

So whatever we're doing She always turns up looking Hot! as no doubt She loves the attention and has even let me have a go at 'Spray Tanning' one of her mates!

Which is similar to spraying a car but a lot more fun!

Its a rotten job but someone has to do it!

Old 06-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
- cellphone charger
- couple of bottles of water
- overnight bag with change of clothes, toiletries
- some cash hidden away
- triple A

Bring the mayhem.
Hi Flint

Now that's a really good idea!

Where is the best place to hide cash in an XJS?

Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 10,463 Likes on 6,909 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Flint

Now that's a really good idea!

Mine is stashed (tucked) under the side cheek of the console, on HER side. She will NEVER find it, I, repeat I, clean the car.

Drink and drive, NO. But a small flask tucked alongside the handbrake handle and the seat, with a small plastic hose up the side of the backrest, and "sipping" is cool. I do obey the law (mostly), and NO I dont drive after drinking, which is EASY, as I dont drive at night anymore (night vision really sucks), so daytime is for driving, night time is MY time.

orangeblossom (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Hi Orangeblossom, not sure if it's the best place, but like Grant, I keep it in a ziploc inside the transmission tunnel, only on the driver's side. Just enough for a tow, a hotel, or any unforeseen circumstances

Probably under the back seats would be a good place as well.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,233 Likes on 5,423 Posts

So whatever we're doing She always turns up looking Hot!
OB, re: lunch on the terrace, I certainly do not want to spoil your idyl and undermine your self-worth; but it is just possible that the GF had more to do with the terrace lunch than your undoubted charm !!

Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
LnrB (06-22-2014), orangeblossom (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 02:59 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

All I can see are Cases of Beer! Is that what you use for Coolant, or am I missing something?
Look behind the beer,the white plastic tub has the coolant and tools in it. I pic was taken when I returned from the bottle shop. The beer is for me after using the tools.
As for 10 litres of coolant,I have owned an XJ Cherokee with a way too small radiator for our climate,towing a boat or camper for many years so it is just habit.
Taking XJ6 on a 1100km drive next weekend,I'll see if my kit is sufficient.
Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-dsc_9433.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 06-22-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB, re: lunch on the terrace, I certainly do not want to spoil your idyl and undermine your self-worth; but it is just possible that the GF had more to do with the terrace lunch than your undoubted charm !!

Greg
Hi Greg

I wouldn't doubt that for a minute! but I'm the one who sets up all these interesting situations, rather than being 'hearing aid beige' like some of her previous boyfriends.

And if She thinks that I'm after her mind, then She must be out of her mind!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Hi Orangeblossom, not sure if it's the best place, but like Grant, I keep it in a ziploc inside the transmission tunnel, only on the driver's side. Just enough for a tow, a hotel, or any unforeseen circumstances

Probably under the back seats would be a good place as well.
Hi Flint

That's a Great idea!

As I have had situations, when I've left my wallet at home, just when you come across something like a 'Pick your own' Strawberry place.

But how about hiding a Credit Card! That might be even better!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member

Mine is stashed (tucked) under the side cheek of the console, on HER side. She will NEVER find it, I, repeat I, clean the car.

Drink and drive, NO. But a small flask tucked alongside the handbrake handle and the seat, with a small plastic hose up the side of the backrest, and "sipping" is cool. I do obey the law (mostly), and NO I dont drive after drinking, which is EASY, as I dont drive at night anymore (night vision really sucks), so daytime is for driving, night time is MY time.
I will check that out Grant, That's a great idea, as you never know when something will crop up.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Look behind the beer,the white plastic tub has the coolant and tools in it. I pic was taken when I returned from the bottle shop. The beer is for me after using the tools.
As for 10 litres of coolant,I have owned an XJ Cherokee with a way too small radiator for our climate,towing a boat or camper for many years so it is just habit.
Taking XJ6 on a 1100km drive next weekend,I'll see if my kit is sufficient.
Attachment 88681
Enjoy the trip, it sounds like fun!

Do you have speed limits in OZ or can you go for it!

Quick Reply: Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12