XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:28 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Do you have speed limits in OZ or can you go for it!
Maximum is 100 kp/h except the odd 110 zone here and there,and we pretty much have zero tolerance for speeding. My last fine was for doing 62 in 60 km/h zone!

Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-capture.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 06-22-2014 at 04:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

That's pretty pedestrian isn't it?

Is it safe to feed it some grass out in the boonies?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,011 Likes on 1,699 Posts

There is an insidious reduction in speed limits over here; signs are being changed (as far as I can see without any consultation) all over the place; 60 is now 50, 50 is now 40, 40 is now 30.
Facists!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

We all know speed kills.

Perhaps we should bring back the red flag law?

Attached Thumbnails Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-red_flag_act_1878.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
orangeblossom (06-22-2014), Steve M (06-23-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LnrB:

Yup, my TV is acting up. It and the Comcast converter box have whiskers similar to mine, grey/white!!

After a few start/quit cycles, it stays on and functions just fine. So, I may give it whack or two if it fusses, later when I am ready to watch baseball!!

A session with a Comcast tech got me a new converter box. Much smaller than the present denizen.

Just maybe.

The percussion technique helped me diagnose my water heater's failure to heat water. A whack on the control got it to fire. But, short lived. Not enough to heat a tank! The thermocouple is on the bench and a new one on the way.

I might do an autopsy on the old one and see if I can see any anomolies???

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
LnrB (06-22-2014), orangeblossom (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,800 Likes on 2,631 Posts
Default Update: Thanks For Your Suggestions, This Looks A Lot Better I Think!

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Don't Panic We're not Splitting up!

It's just that I'm still a bit traumatized after the Front Caliper stuck on my XJS V12, when She not only lost all of the Brakes but nearly went up in a Fireball!

This was quickly followed by another 'unrelated' problem, where the engine was making a noise like a 'whistling kettle!' (Loose Fan belt)

Not to mention the Wheels were Screaming, like a 'Wailing Banshee' when you took a corner, at almost any speed.

(Shims supplied with the Brake Pads taken out and thrown away!)

Which is all sorted out now, with many Thanks to 'Greg' who told me how to fix these things and having followed his advice my XJS is running like a Dream!

Not to forget to also say 'Thanks' to guys like 'Paul' who pitched in with some very useful suggestions, who all gave me the help and support that you cannot get from a book.

And 'Grant' from OZ who gave me the best piece of Car related advice that I've ever been given: 'Do it once! Do it right! Then forget about it and enjoy driving your Car!'

It was quite an expensive fix, as I renewed the Front Calipers, Brake Hoses and Brake Pads but what I can say is that it was money well spent!

My only problem being that after all of that, I am now waiting for something else to go wrong!

And think that I may have gone over the Top with all the 'Kit' I am carrying, just in case I break down! (or maybe not?)

A massive great tool box in the boot with every size of spanner known to man (That weighs a Ton!)

A gallon of Water!, A Gallon of Oil!, Brake Fluid!, ATF Fluid!, Spare Fan Belts!, Two Fire Extinguishers!, A Nylon Tow Rope!, Spare Fuses!, Two Mobile Phones and lots of other assorted bits and bobs.

Also I've got Break Down Insurance, that I wouldn't bother with on any other Car but if this goes wrong at the Roadside, then you could be screwed!

The long and the short of it being, that the boot is full of Tools which doesn't leave much room for anything else.

Like for instance all the things my GF wants to bring along, when We go out for the day, which brings me back to my question, 'Should I Give Her The Boot!' and use the Compartment behind the seats for Tools?

What would be really useful, would be suggestions of what I should carry in the way of tools and how best to Stow them in the Car, as it would be nice if we could use the Boot/Trunk Space for carrying other things.

So What's in Your Box?

Maybe someone would like include, some photos of the kind of stuff you carry around all the time in case you break down, which could be very useful to guys like me as well as other owners.

As I'm sure I'm carrying too many tools, that I may never need, though on an XJS you never know!

If the compartment behind the seat looks oily, it is because I sprayed it with Waxoil to try and deter any rust.

http://

Hi Guys

Following the Suggestions, that everyone was kind enough to make, this is what I came up with.

First I bought a Couple of what I think are called 'Really Useful Boxes' which you can buy in the UK from most Stationers.

In the small one, I put a number of tools that I bought from the 'Pound Shop' plus assorted screwdrivers, gaffer tape, mole wrenches, adjustable spanners, Stanley knife, Hacksaw, Hose Clips and a socket set etc.

In the Big one, I put a Hammer, Cable Ties, WD 40 and some Longer Screwdrivers and a Fan Belt.

The Big Box is a very nice fit in the left compartment of the Boot/Trunk and is up at a bit of an angle, as there is a nylon Tow Rope underneath and in beside that is a small Fire Extinguisher.

To the right hand side of the Boot/Trunk, is the Jaguar Jack and Wheel Wrench, plus a bigger Fire Extinguisher and Disposable Overalls.

The Rest of the Boot/Trunk, is now Completely Empty!

Except for a box of knives and forks if we stop to get 'Chips' or a 'Takeaway' which have now been put inside the Spare Wheel Cover.

In the Cubby Hole behind the Seats, there are Two one gallon cans.

One has a Top up Water/Antifreeze Mix and the other Contains about 4ltr of Oil, plus a Sealed one ltr can of Dot 4 Brake Fluid, and a Pump Container full of ATF, Plus some gloves and some rag as well as the Small Tool Box.

I also had Permission (ish) To use the GF's Jumper, in the Photo Shoot and the polythene was put underneath, in order to protect it against any grease which otherwise may have resulted in my early demise!

Attached Thumbnails Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-case3012_zps672715d2.jpg   Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-case3_zpsaa415cb3.jpg   Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-case3013_zpsf95e4cec.jpg   Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-case3016_zpsd5182a88.jpg   Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-case3014_zps1b24764f.jpg  

Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-case3015_zps24b98d05.jpg  
Old 06-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Maximum is 100 kp/h except the odd 110 zone here and there,and we pretty much have zero tolerance for speeding. My last fine was for doing 62 in 60 km/h zone!

Attachment 88684
I thought you could drive for hundreds of miles, without seeing another car!

so didn't think any limits would apply!

Old 06-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
There is an insidious reduction in speed limits over here; signs are being changed (as far as I can see without any consultation) all over the place; 60 is now 50, 50 is now 40, 40 is now 30.
Facists!
Don't forget the 20's Plenty Signs as well!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,259 Likes on 5,410 Posts

Hi Guys

Following the Suggestions, that everyone was kind enough to make, this is what I came up with.

First I bought a Couple of what I think are called 'Really Useful Boxes' which you can buy in the UK from most Stationers.

In the small one, I put a number of tools that I bought from the 'Pound Shop' plus assorted screwdrivers, gaffer tape, mole wrenches, adjustable spanners, Stanley knife, Hacksaw, Hose Clips and a socket set etc.

In the Big one, I put a Hammer, Cable Ties, WD 40 and some Longer Screwdrivers and a Fan Belt.

The Big Box is a very nice fit in the left compartment of the Boot/Trunk and is up at a bit of an angle, as there is a nylon Tow Rope underneath and in beside that is a small Fire Extinguisher.

To the right hand side of the Boot/Trunk, is the Jaguar Jack and Wheel Wrench, plus a bigger Fire Extinguisher and Disposable Overalls.

The Rest of the Boot/Trunk, is now Completely Empty!

Except for a box of knives and forks if we stop to get 'Chips' or a 'Takeaway' which have now been put inside the Spare Wheel Cover.

In the Cubby Hole behind the Seats, there are Two one gallon cans.

One has a Top up Water/Antifreeze Mix and the other Contains about 4ltr of Oil, plus a Sealed one ltr can of Dot 4 Brake Fluid, and a Pump Container full of ATF, Plus some gloves and some rag as well as the Small Tool Box.

I also had Permission (ish) To use the GF's Jumper, in the Photo Shoot and the polythene was put underneath, in order to protect it against any grease which otherwise may have resulted in my early demise!

You're right, OB, that looks a LOT better!

You've managed to include all necessary emergency supplies and there's Plenty of space left over, even in half that volume, a girl to take along whatever she feels she needs for tripping.

Good Job!
(';')

orangeblossom (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
You're right, OB, that looks a LOT better!

You've managed to include all necessary emergency supplies and there's Plenty of space left over, even in half that volume, a girl to take along whatever she feels she needs for tripping.

Good Job!
(';')
Hi Elinor

Glad you approve!

Nice to know that I've done something right for a change!

I was trying to carry enough tools to cover any eventuality but then, after help from the guys on this forum, I suddenly started to realize, that this wasn't much of a practical proposition.

It will either be something simple or mega complicated, that cannot be fixed at the side of the road.

So now if I take the GF away, She can have the whole boot to herself and I did try and make up for past indiscretions by taking her out for some Wining and Dining, in an amazing Country House Hotel.

Which cost about £60+! but it was worth every penny, as all the tables were candlelit and the atmosphere was out of the top draw being the place where the Super Rich, Rock up all the time.

And go there just as often, as some of us would to our local KFC but as I am not Super rich, with all my Jags to look after and gallons of petrol to buy, it will have to go in the 'Special Treats' department.

I'm pleased to say the XJS looked knockout in the Car Park, even though it was probably one of the least expensive but these are guys who own Companies and have expense accounts.

Earlier on we met a guy who had an Aston DB9 'Which I thought' was the Car that I always wanted but in the looks department I was very disappointed and apart from the fact that it cost him over 100K

There is no way that I would have swapped him and the more I think about it, the more I start to wonder, if any other Car could tempt me away.

We only use the XJS when its Hot & Sunny and so touch wood, the Weather has been Amazing and we go out every day, though it comes as a shock when I fill up with gas, as the last time that I filled her up it cost me £126!

And I would be very lucky if that lasted me a Week! So the average Spend on gas for the Car is £150 - £200 per Week!

But the XJS is so addictive, that I want to drive her all the time and now that 'Greg' and others have helped me sort her out, I just have the attitude of to hell with the money, enjoy it while you can.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,073 Likes on 2,033 Posts

OB,

Great job! Those plastic containers are what I use.

Just one suggestion - As you don't have any carpet or insulation on the bottom of your cubby box, you might want to put some carpet in or else wrap any metal containers of oil / fluid. Otherwise you might find that you get condensation and the metal edges of the containers get rusty. Especially as now that you have prepared the kit, nothing will go wrong and you won't be opening the cubby box for a long time!

Enjoy the fish and chips!

Paul

Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

If you take the coast road that everybody takes there are cars everywhere, when you take the shortcut across the centre you wouldn't want to go too fast,they still have speed cameras too.

That's pretty pedestrian isn't it?

Is it safe to feed it some grass out in the boonies?
There are places,you just got to know where to look.
Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-map_oz_overview.gifShould I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-outback_sign_093.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
LnrB (06-30-2014), orangeblossom (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

You can.

When we go on some of our jaunts we travel for hours (literally) without a car in sight, and sitting at 110KPH. So much so you go to sleep at teh wheel.

BUT, politicians being what they are, we are stuck with it.

Talk now, of a blanket 100KPH Australia wide, so a trip to Mildura, takes about 3 1/2 hours now, will be seeing 4 hours tick by.

Giving it the beans, as mentioned, usually costs ya $400+.

Our NT had "open limits" for ages, and few speed related accidents (most were booze related), but the Pollies strike again, and limits are now coming in.

We have 50KPH in the suburbs, and these "modern" cars are forever swapping gears, and obviously wearing out prematurely.

You guessed it, I HATE this nonsense. We have way too many "drivers" who can barely propel a car down the road, and have NO idea how to actually "drive".

Time for a drink, its dark, hail stones, COLD.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

Great job! Those plastic containers are what I use.

Just one suggestion - As you don't have any carpet or insulation on the bottom of your cubby box, you might want to put some carpet in or else wrap any metal containers of oil / fluid. Otherwise you might find that you get condensation and the metal edges of the containers get rusty. Especially as now that you have prepared the kit, nothing will go wrong and you won't be opening the cubby box for a long time!

Enjoy the fish and chips!

Paul
Hi Paul

That's a Great Idea!

But I've got something better than Carpet, which is a non slip plastic type matting, that I used to use in my boat, to stop mugs of Tea for me and glasses of wine for her and her M8tes sliding all over the place.

So that will insulate any metal, from the floor of the 'Cubby'

Old 06-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
If you take the coast road that everybody takes there are cars everywhere, when you take the shortcut across the centre you wouldn't want to go too fast,they still have speed cameras too.

There are places,you just got to know where to look.
Attachment 88802Attachment 88803
That's amazing! How could you possibly speed on a road like that!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
You can.

When we go on some of our jaunts we travel for hours (literally) without a car in sight, and sitting at 110KPH. So much so you go to sleep at teh wheel.

BUT, politicians being what they are, we are stuck with it.

Talk now, of a blanket 100KPH Australia wide, so a trip to Mildura, takes about 3 1/2 hours now, will be seeing 4 hours tick by.

Giving it the beans, as mentioned, usually costs ya $400+.

Our NT had "open limits" for ages, and few speed related accidents (most were booze related), but the Pollies strike again, and limits are now coming in.

We have 50KPH in the suburbs, and these "modern" cars are forever swapping gears, and obviously wearing out prematurely.

You guessed it, I HATE this nonsense. We have way too many "drivers" who can barely propel a car down the road, and have NO idea how to actually "drive".

Time for a drink, its dark, hail stones, COLD.
And there was me thinking that OZ was the land of the Free!

But then again the UK is even much worse 70mph Max and Cameras all over the place!

Driving used to be fun but not anymore, which is one of the reasons that I now love Automatics as much as I do.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

since we're showing pics of our trunks, this is what i brought along on my recent road trip. it was definitely overkill. i've noted what i actually used.

from left to right:
- heavy duty jumper cables [USED THIS]
- torque wrench [USED FOR TIGHTENING WHEEL LUGS]
- two funnels (including a long neck) [USED THESE]
- quart of oil [TOPPED UP HALF A QT HALFWAY THROUGH]
- MAF cleaner
- can of seafoam (thought i may have to clean the sump tank or replace the fuel pump on the side of the road)
- spare fuel pump
- spare fuel filter
- sock filter for fuel pickup
- some K&N oil for the air filters [USED THIS]
- two gas cans
- pumice hand cleaner [USED THIS]
- gallon of coolant [USED THIS]
- shop towels [USED THIS]
- small oil pan (came with the shop towels and funnel at the part store)
- wheel chocks
- emergency triangle
- small socket set
- small toolkit with various wrenches, screw drivers, allen wrenches, torx bits, wire cutters [USED SOME OF THESE]
- AC recharge hose [USED THIS]
- safety yellow rubber rain slicker [USED THIS]
- bag of various fuses, connectors, wire, including multi-purpose household wire, bulbs [USED THE WIRE]
- battery recharger
- portable jump starter [WOULDVE USED THIS, BUT SOMEONE CAME BY]
- extension cord

oh... almost forgot, roll of TP, because you never know.

Attached Thumbnails Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12-img_3349.jpg  
orangeblossom (06-28-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

any Texas guys here? we have many hiways 85MPH, for as much as a 100miles, with absolutly nothing but rocks,sand and scrub brush, along with 105-110F temps in summer.

but you see guys crusing at 100-120mph, quite often. and race type guys testing out 150-175mph, flat ,smooth, and no cameras, truth be told Texas is still a relativly free state.

but BIG brother is coming , sadly.

orangeblossom (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DrScientist
since we're showing pics of our trunks, this is what i brought along on my recent road trip. it was definitely overkill. i've noted what i actually used.

from left to right:
- heavy duty jumper cables [USED THIS]
- torque wrench [USED FOR TIGHTENING WHEEL LUGS]
- two funnels (including a long neck) [USED THESE]
- quart of oil [TOPPED UP HALF A QT HALFWAY THROUGH]
- MAF cleaner
- can of seafoam (thought i may have to clean the sump tank or replace the fuel pump on the side of the road)
- spare fuel pump
- spare fuel filter
- sock filter for fuel pickup
- some K&N oil for the air filters [USED THIS]
- two gas cans
- pumice hand cleaner [USED THIS]
- gallon of coolant [USED THIS]
- shop towels [USED THIS]
- small oil pan (came with the shop towels and funnel at the part store)
- wheel chocks
- emergency triangle
- small socket set
- small toolkit with various wrenches, screw drivers, allen wrenches, torx bits, wire cutters [USED SOME OF THESE]
- AC recharge hose [USED THIS]
- safety yellow rubber rain slicker [USED THIS]
- bag of various fuses, connectors, wire, including multi-purpose household wire, bulbs [USED THE WIRE]
- battery recharger
- portable jump starter [WOULDVE USED THIS, BUT SOMEONE CAME BY]
- extension cord

oh... almost forgot, roll of TP, because you never know.
That must have been some road trip!

Even before I reorganized, my Boot/Trunk (XJS V12) looked positively empty compared to yours!

I am now starting to realize, that sometimes less is more!

So Yesterday, I also emptied the Boot/Trunk of my DD my Merc and couldn't believe how much useless stuff I had in there.

It must have weighed a Ton! and had the Contents spread out all over the garden, I only wish that I had taken a photo, as a warning to others of how bad things can get!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:24 AM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
any Texas guys here? we have many hiways 85MPH, for as much as a 100miles, with absolutly nothing but rocks,sand and scrub brush, along with 105-110F temps in summer.

but you see guys crusing at 100-120mph, quite often. and race type guys testing out 150-175mph, flat ,smooth, and no cameras, truth be told Texas is still a relativly free state.

but BIG brother is coming , sadly.
I'll back ronbros up on this!
The extent of "free" was well demonstrated recently when red light cameras, put in at great expense in Houston due to regular crashes at intersections, were removed because there was a huge public outcry at the fines that were being imposed for running red lights. You can add not banning texting and driving because "we shouldn't be micromanaging the behavior of adults" and, of course, Texas remains one of the few states not requiring the use of motorcycle helmets.
While not condoning or otherwise any of the above, this is what makes Texas such a great place! I love it!

orangeblossom (06-29-2014)

Quick Reply: Should I Give My Girlfriend The Boot! XJS V12