XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Should you buy a Non running $2000 XJS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020 | 05:00 AM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg in France
A bit harsh I feel, not really in the normal spirit of this rather decent forum.

Autocar road tested a UK spec HE as described in this link at 6.5 seconds 0 to 60 and over 150 top speed. The pre HE cars were as fast understand. US cars a second slower.
https://www.autozine.org/Archive/Jag...assic/XJS.html

Launch test:
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...w-breed-of-cat

I can attest, with reliable witnesses, that an HE will leave a Golf GTI for dead at anything over 100 mph. Not that I dispute guastly noisy late 1980s hot hatches could do a better 0 to 60 time than an HE. But on-ramps on motorways, where the torque and ease of an autobox with all its torque multiplying aspects, give me an HE any day!

Im sorry Greg, but ''give me a HE any day'' is not a qualification of a great car, its just a personal preference and one i would rather you and everyone else kept to themselves, its not technical advice or know how, its juvenile schoolboy bollocks. ''Over 100mph'' FFS really?
Yes, and i can also attest that up to around 80-mph which ois all that mattered on public roads a Golf GTI 16v will embarrass a HE, as well Celica GT turbo, 205 GTI, Audi Quattro coupe Lancia Delta Turbo, **** even a Fiesta 16v gave it a good run for its money, my mates Fuego turbo, the list is pretty long. lm sure if i could be bothered, which i cannot as this is beyond juvenile i could also find the odd 0 to 60 times that where better.But, i know as im sure you do that these Autocar etc etc tests where ''loaded'' to say the least, if there figures where in any way shape or form quantifiable they would have been listed as the official times on the sales literature, which they never where............ lts really simple in the halcyon days of the late 80s one of the lads at one had one of these and we did what all lads in there early 20s that earned well, we thashed the bollocks off our cars against each other and the Jags where a embarrassment, we used to joke that i would usually take an amercian to make so little power from so much displacement.

,,,and yes i own 2 now and none of the others............................................ ..........and its still not a quick car, just get over it already. And again , for the second time, if you wish to play top trumps, please start your own thread!

Last edited by anyoldiron; 07-03-2020 at 05:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020 | 07:04 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by anyoldiron
Well thanks for the dig, on the back of that, **** off back under your bridge, ****.
Originally Posted by Jagboi64
That was a typo on my part, should have read was NOT a dig at you.. Sorry about that.
An explanation and an apology which you have chosen to ignore.

Blah blah blah, I’m from back in the day Sunshine, admittedly not from fat car USA, in 1988 when the car in question was around most hot hatches would **** all over it where it mattered.

Please do me a favour and start your own thread if you want to play ‘Top trumps “ it’s a bit juvenile, there’s a good chap.

You seem to have a very short fuse. If you choose to post on the forum you must expect to get both positive and negative reactions. The accepted standards here are NOT to respond by being offensive.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
jag-reflex (07-03-2020), Some Day, Some Day (07-03-2020), Xjeffs (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020 | 09:35 PM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by GGG
An explanation and an apology which you have chosen to ignore.

You seem to have a very short fuse. If you choose to post on the forum you must expect to get both positive and negative reactions. The accepted standards here are NOT to respond by being offensive.

Graham
Yes you are correct, i have little time for the selectivity stupid, regardless of ''rank''. lf you find it so offense, feel free to ban me.

Old 07-04-2020 | 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Yes you are correct, i have little time for the selectivity stupid, regardless of ''rank''. lf you find it so offense, feel free to ban me.
Hmm... I belong to 4 (maybe 5, one for old Peugeot peddle bikes) and I have to say this IS by long shot the most clear, concise, welcoming and friendly, knowledge-full etc etc etc forums I've ever experienced and belong to. By a looooong shot...really. I have even brought issues to do with other vehicles of mine just because I can rely on thoughtful consideration and patience. And goodness knows I think I have tested the patience of a few, here.

I would hate to see anyone banned, to select to be banned, for things to come to any of us not showing up working together here anymore, or to not be able to recover rightly from a few slips in manner. It shouldn't have to happen.

No stress for fun, right? Chill y'all. Its all good... Right?

Last edited by JayJagJay; 07-04-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-04-2020 | 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

I think that remark is rude, unnecessarily judgmental, and implies you feel your intellect and abilities are greatly superior to those of other people. Maybe this forum, populated by normal people, is not for you?

Old 07-04-2020 | 08:22 AM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I think that remark is rude, unnecessarily judgmental, and implies you feel your intellect and abilities are greatly superior to those of other people. Maybe this forum, populated by normal people, is not for you?

No it means what i said, that is i have little time for the selectively stupid, in other words smart people who play the stupid card.

Old 07-04-2020 | 08:27 AM
|
Banned

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Hmm... I belong to 4 (maybe 5, one for old Peugeot peddle bikes) and I have to say this IS by long shot the most clear, concise, welcoming and friendly, knowledge-full etc etc etc forums I've ever experienced and belong to. By a looooong shot...really. I have even brought issues to do with other vehicles of mine just because I can rely on thoughtful consideration and patience. And goodness knows I think I have tested the patience of a few, here.

I would hate to see anyone banned, to select to be banned, for things to come to any of us not showing up working together here anymore, or to not be able to recover rightly from a few slips in manner. It shouldn't have to happen.

No stress for fun, right? Chill y'all. Its all good... Right?
l appreciate the time you to took to write that, and for the most part i agree. However if people want to make childish BS comments or claims im going to call them on it.

Last edited by anyoldiron; 07-04-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2020 | 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

l appreciate the time to took to write that, and for the most part i agree. However if people want to make childish BS comments or claims im going to call them on it.
My Good Brother,,, I think you're taking this a bit too far. Maybe everyone is...?

I have been seeing your posts, contributions, willingness to share and help folks work through problems here, since my dumb *** showed up. You're insights and contributions are needed. Think about it, out of the 8.5 billion or so on the planet, there is a small handful that are doing this. The XJS... Anyways.

My Man, if ya get out of this line of TEXT, if all of us do for a few days,,, I'll bet that we'll be able to take a step back and be like damn,,, what was that all about. (?) Thats often how it works.

All I'm saying is, let.it.go... It's not as serious as all that...?
​​​​

Last edited by JayJagJay; 07-04-2020 at 08:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
Doug (07-04-2020), Timeisrelative (07-04-2020), Xjeffs (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020 | 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

A friend took one worse than yours and gently Hand sanded the Edges with 1000 grit to feather it out. Then applied vinyl in matching color. To make it easy he stopped at the Jams. He said he spent about a week of spare time doing everything. It was his first one. Just watched a few U tube video’s and went for it. Said it was the best $500 he ever spent.

Old 07-08-2020 | 02:24 AM
GGG

I don't require either your permission or your consent.

As your only contribution is to be as rude and offensive to as many members as possible, we can all return to a more pleasant, positive and constructive level of discussion without it being frequently permeated with your idiocy.

PERMANENT BAN

Graham

The following 5 users liked this post by GGG:
Don B (07-08-2020), Grant Francis (07-08-2020), Greg in France (07-08-2020), Vee (07-08-2020), Xjeffs (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020 | 04:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mguar
A friend took one worse than yours and gently Hand sanded the Edges with 1000 grit to feather it out. Then applied vinyl in matching color. To make it easy he stopped at the Jams. He said he spent about a week of spare time doing everything. It was his first one. Just watched a few U tube video’s and went for it. Said it was the best $500 he ever spent.
Any pics?

Old 07-08-2020 | 05:28 AM

Hello JayJagJay

When you say old Peugeot peddle bikes - do you mean like in push bikes - or peddle cars like I had as a kid? and what age are we talking?

Just curious

Cheers
Steve