XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Shout Out to Paul (ptjs) Has my Car ever had an MOT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts
Default Shout Out to Paul (ptjs) Has my Car ever had an MOT?

Hi Paul (ptjs) or anyone else who may know

Has my 1995 (M) XJS Celebration Convertible ever had an MOT as this one is a 'Barn Find' that I have Created myself! as She has been in the Garage and not used on the Road, since the day I bought her in 1998

No Record of her ever having had an MOT on the UK Gov Website but since I've decided to sell her, I don't want to mislead anyone

Registration Number: M12 XJS that I may sell separately if anyone wants that for their 'M' Reg V12 6 Litre XJS

Please Contact: Registration Transfers.Com To Check the suitability for your XJS or what other Vehicle you may want to put it on

It's also advertised on there at what I'm told is a fair price

Also interested to know what anyone Considers to be the best Car Auction Site and although Bring a Trailer Crossed my mind, She is a RHD Car so may not be the first choice for the USA Market

As the Sun is starting to Shine at last, I'll be getting her out of the Garage to take lots of Photos, that I will be putting on My 'Cherry Blossom' Restoration Thread

She not just a Nice Car but a Very, Very, Nice Car, as that's 25 Years of 'Wear and Tear' that this Cars Never Had! and being a Six Cylinder with the AJ16 engine

She can easily run on the Smell of an Oily Rag! about 30mpg! so I've been told making her a practical everyday Cruiser

Unlike my 17.5 MPG Gas Guzzling V12 that I am keeping keeping, so that is really my only reason that I have decided to Sell my XJS Celebration Convertible 4.0Litre with AJ16 Engine

One previous Owner 40,450 Miles from New and only Jaguar Main Dealer Servicing apart from Lots of enhancements that were done by me like Six New Injectors that Cost me almost as much as my first Car

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,334 Likes on 5,430 Posts

I'd Drive That!! (the ONLY XJS I would consider owning)
IF the steering wheel was in the correct side,
IF I could just DRIVE IT HOME,
IF I had another stall in the garage, and
IF I didn't think Nix would get Insanely Jealous!
But that's just too many IFs.
Dang!!

I just showed husband and said, "Can you just imagine...?"
And he said, "Yup! I can imagine."
>sigh<
(';')

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
Grant Francis (05-14-2023), Greg in France (05-14-2023), orangeblossom (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 09:08 AM
Received 337 Likes on 174 Posts

Hi OB.
If I were to ever sell my car I would use Car & Classic. I sold my Triumph Stag and a Range Rover LTD Edition through them not as an auction though just a classified add. Worked really well and both cars were sold within a couple of days. The cars I have followed on there as auction sales always seem to make a good price.

Rob.

Last edited by Robbo D; 05-14-2023 at 09:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robbo D:
Greg in France (05-14-2023), orangeblossom (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

OB,

The simple answer is that you can't PROVE it hasn't had an MoT, but it would be relatively easy to justify that it's never had one.

MoTs went computerised in 2005, so ALL MoTs since then have been recorded. You car shows on the government database that it hasn't had an MoT Pass (or Failure) since that point. However, you can't prove that it HASN'T had a Pass or Failure before that point.

However, as you can prove (through the V5) that you've owned the car since before it had to have it's first MoT, it would be quite reasonable for someone to believe you if you told them that it has never had an MoT. Particularly if you can show evidence of Jaguar servicing up until 1998 and that the mileage now is still consistent with that in 1998.

I'm REALLY looking forward to your re-commissioning and photos. Just a suggestion, don't try and start it until you've syphoned all the petrol out, changed the fuel filter, put 4 gallons of zero ethanol 98 octane Esso Synergy in it, changed the oil and filter (old oil will have had combustion acidity in it for the past 25 years which is not good, pulled the fuel pump fuse, turned it over with fresh oil to lube the bearings etc, and then replaced the fuel pump fuse. THEN you can try and start it. But of course, you'll then need to change and push through new brake fluid before driving it!

Cheers

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (05-14-2023), orangeblossom (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Lnr

The Steering Wheel is on the Correct side for a British Sports Car, its just that you Guys drive on the Wrong side of the Road and if that isn't Bad enough you then go and spoil the look by fitting those great Big ugly Bumpers!

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
LnrB (05-14-2023), Robbo D (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Robbo

That Sounds like a Plan!

Old 05-14-2023, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

Aww! I don't want to sell her now, makes me feel sad already

But I've got just too many Cars and the 6cyl 4.0L isn't quite the same sort of ride as an XJS V12 its almost like they are totally different Cars and She's much too nice to get Stone Chipped on the Roads round my way, assuming She doesn't go and fall down a Pot Hole first

As far as I can remember, I only drove her 450 Miles and then her first MOT was due and at that point I put her in Mothballs in the Garage, although I did Start her up every couple of Months just to keep her fresh

She's not Concourse but really wouldn't take much to get her there

She's even got a 'Pukka' Wired in Jaguar Telephone System (not just a cradle) that cuts the Sound from the Harman Kardon Speakers, that must have cost Gazillions when the Car was New

Of course none of that works now, as I don't think the Network is still in existence but the Handset was a Nokia Banana Phone, although I believe that Nokia make a modern version that looks exactly the same as the original and may be available in Banana Yellow obvs!

One of my reasons for selling this Car, is the fear of letting my grasping Relatives get their hands on her, as they weren't there for me in my hour of need when my mum was poorly and so I have been 'Gas Lighting' all of them ever since, as they are not worthy of having my beautiful Car

Having said that everyone on this Forum are all very worthy contenders who perform miracle restorations far better than I ever could but its really far too much money to go and give away (so sorry guys and girls)

Value wise I've been told £35k to £40k would not be out of the way as you won't find another one like her outside of a Museum or Curated Collection

Paul (ptjs) as always a Big Thank you for your knowledgeable input and encouragement, So I will be relying on you to help me make sure that I do everything right

Last edited by orangeblossom; 05-14-2023 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LnrB (05-14-2023)