XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Side window + gap = leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Side window + gap = leak

in my 1990 convertible, when the passenger door is closed there is a significant gap between the glass on the rearward end of the window and the vertical sealing part on the quarter light.

The glass contacts the seal at the top but doesnt lower down - it kind of bows outwards leaving a long gap of around 2mm (picture attached).

The shut line of the door and the panel to the rear is not perfectly flush like its not being pulled in close enough to the body. However, even when i push in on the door to even up the shut line "manually" there is still a noticable gap.

Can anyone tell me how to close that gap?
Is it new vertical seals on the quarterlight?
Can i adjust something to pull the door closer to the body?
Combination of both?

This car is now a daily driver and we've been having rain recently and Houston doesnt tolerate damp cars at all well...

i searched previous posts but couldnt find any reference to this problem.
Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Graham

Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

my passenger side window does the same thing, for now the the fix has been to roll the window down and then back up, or to remember to crack the window down before the passenger door is opened and closed. i plan on new door seals in the near future witch i think will fix the problem. ill be interested in others reply's to this thread.

on mine the problem is that the window is catching on the seal along the windshield pillar.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,036 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

It appears you have two things working against you here. I'm not sure door seals are needed, as you don't show those. The strike inside the jamb needs to be adjusted. If its like my 89, is has torx screws holding it. All I did, was loosen those a little, and move the strike in a little at a time, then test door. When it is flush, I've done the best I can do (maybe), as I also adjusted my hinges to get the doors as dead on perfect as I could. (my father owned a body shop until I was in my early twenties). Then, it appears the seal on the quater glass itself has gone bad? Never tried replacing one of those, but I bet it can be done.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ezrider
my passenger side window does the same thing, for now the the fix has been to roll the window down and then back up, or to remember to crack the window down before the passenger door is opened and closed. i plan on new door seals in the near future witch i think will fix the problem. ill be interested in others reply's to this thread.

on mine the problem is that the window is catching on the seal along the windshield pillar.
I tried this but it makes no difference on mine. I suspect on yours the window glass may be set to come up too far causing it to strike the top rubber too high up.

There are protruding slotted bolt ends with nuts on behind the door card on the mechanism that can be used to alter the up and down range of the glass. You could try tweaking those. Back off the nut a bit turn the bolt with a screw driver retighten nut and check. Takes a bit of faffing about to get the optimum position.

The following users liked this post:
Ezrider (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Steve M
Thanks Steve, I've increased my "tool" collection by 50%; added this to the duct tape and WD-40. Feel like pro now.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by superchargedtr6
It appears you have two things working against you here. I'm not sure door seals are needed, as you don't show those. The strike inside the jamb needs to be adjusted. If its like my 89, is has torx screws holding it. All I did, was loosen those a little, and move the strike in a little at a time, then test door. When it is flush, I've done the best I can do (maybe), as I also adjusted my hinges to get the doors as dead on perfect as I could. (my father owned a body shop until I was in my early twenties). Then, it appears the seal on the quater glass itself has gone bad? Never tried replacing one of those, but I bet it can be done.
Thanks for this, I'll try strike thing tonight (if it stops raining...). Will report back. Those seals on the quarter light don't look so easy to change, more fun ahead methinks. Honestly it never ends, does it? ☺

The following users liked this post:
Ezrider (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ezrider

Apologies, just reread your note. Will check if mine is hitting A pillar, sounds hard to adjust for that puppy. Will report back. I have door card off, again, so I'll see what other adjustments are available.
Graham

Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,092 Likes on 2,041 Posts

As you've mentioned, the door shut is slightly out. However, once you've done that, if the problem is still there, there's a whole section in the service manual which explains the alignment and the adjustment of the front and rear windows in order to get it right.

Sounds like a nice Saturday's work!

Good luck

Paul

Old 03-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

on mine from it repetitively catching on the a pillar part of the gasket it has started de-forming the gasket making it even more likely to catch. i did not realize that there was a adjustment for the window i will defiantly look into that when i get a chance. i do need door gaskets regardless though.

as far as adjusting the door strikers to get your door gap tightened up its pretty easy loosen the bolts and move the striker and tighten them back down

as far as replacing the seal along the edge of the rear window from what iv seen that seal as well as the one that runs along the top of the convertible top frame appear to no longer be available.