Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2024 | 12:44 PM
rgp
|
Veteran Member
Default Single coil retrofit

I have just fitted a single ignition coil to
​​​​​​my 84 and I have a spare proper Marelli coil
Can this be used as a spare with a lucas dizzy, I have the wiring plug to convert.

Last edited by rgp; 10-08-2024 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2024 | 06:11 AM

Measure the primary resistance, spec for the CEI box is that the primary should be .6 ohms. Don’t know about mounting it.

Old 10-09-2024 | 04:37 PM
rgp
|
Veteran Member

What is CEI plz

Old 10-09-2024 | 06:37 PM

Constant Energy Ignition; it was Lucas’ name for the system. Black AB14 module on the left intake manifold, with magnetic trigger inside distributor.

The following users liked this post:
rgp (Yesterday)
Old 10-09-2024 | 09:41 PM

CEI is what you have. So you need .6 ohms if RGK is right, but I thought it was .5. Point is if it is significantly different from .5 or .6, don’t use it. I had an XJS with CEI and it just DEVOURED ignition amplifiers. I thought I was getting crappy Chinese ignition amps, but no, the problem was the coil ohm read was nowhere near spec. When I replaced the coil, the ignition amp never failed again. . A GM HEI amp (used inside the Lucas CEI ignition amp box) is like $50-$70, which isn’t worth risking compared with a coil.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagsandmgs:
David84XJ6 (10-09-2024), Greg in France (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:08 AM
rgp
|
Veteran Member

I'm getting 00.6 on the marelli which works out at 00.4 when the lead resistance is subtracted. Would that be enough? Screen a bit melted.

Last edited by rgp; Yesterday at 05:09 AM.
Old Yesterday | 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Rex
Knowing nothing about Marelli ignition, I think the ohm rating will be OK, but you face another problem. I have a feeling the coil has two king leads to the dizzy? If I am right, these must be fired by separate signals from the Marelli system.
So (if I am right) the coil must be separated into two parts somehow, with each part running six cylinders - which we know is true because of the famous Marelli failure mode. This separation is the problem you face using it on a Lucas car, as one part of the Marelli coil will not fire 12 cylinders. The Lucas can only fire one coil, so I cannot see how you can use a Marelli coil in a standard Lucas system.

Last edited by Greg in France; Yesterday at 11:38 AM.
Old Yesterday | 11:57 AM

The Marelli system does use two coils.

I think the ohm reading is just fine. The only thing left to do is plug it in and find out. The worst case scenario you burn up a GMHEI module after some number of miles.

Old Yesterday | 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagsandmgs
The Marelli system does use two coils.

I think the ohm reading is just fine. The only thing left to do is plug it in and find out. The worst case scenario you burn up a GMHEI module after some number of miles.
In which case it will run, but it will probably not run 12 cylinders above about 2500/3000 rpm because the recovery time will be insufficient. It will be the equivalent of running a single Lucas coil instead of the dual coil setup, pre-Ducellier coil appearing.
The Great Palm talks about this possibility and says an automatic coil selector might be a way round it; but that smacks of far too much complication for me! Also such devices are not designed to switch several thousand times a minute, rather to enable a single switch to a backup coil if one fails during a race, for example.

Last edited by Greg in France; Yesterday at 12:44 PM.
rgp (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 12:58 PM
rgp
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Rex
Knowing nothing about Marelli ignition, I think the ohm rating will be OK, but you face another problem. I have a feeling the coil has two king leads to the dizzy? If I am right, these must be fired by separate signals from the Marelli system.
So (if I am right) the coil must be separated into two parts somehow, with each part running six cylinders - which we know is true because of the famous Marelli failure mode. This separation is the problem you face using it on a Lucas car, as one part of the Marelli coil will not fire 12 cylinders. The Lucas can only fire one coil, so I cannot see how you can use a Marelli coil in a standard Lucas system.
I actually purchased one of the aftermarket lookalike a marelli coils that are sold to replace 2 coil systems.but
1. I didn't like the fact it was so close to the dizzy and
2. I didn't like electrical connections on raised columns
I purchase a s/H marelli with a horizontal mount but the push on terminals are uncomfortably close to the small cross over vacuum pipe. I chect the resistance of the after market coil and the 2nd hand marelli and they were the same 00.5 ohms So I got a 4 pin plug wire up and it starts and runs ok. And to my eyes looks o/e as opposed to the anonymous after market one. We will see.. at the end of the day it's just a modern resin coil. 😊😊😊

Last edited by rgp; Yesterday at 04:01 PM.
Greg in France (Today)