XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Soft top rubbing back seats (2+2 conv.) - solution and questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023 | 02:55 AM
|
Default Soft top rubbing back seats (2+2 conv.) - solution and questions

Hi,
some information an questions regarding a problem that seems to be common to *all* owners of an XJS Convertible 2+2, at least this is what I thought when doing a research: when closing, the top (to be exact: the upper frame of the rear window) rubs the back side of the back seats, causing severe damages over the time to it's fabric. The photos show mine, one year *after* having replaced the worn synthetic fabric by gray leather pieces.

The reason seems to be that the fabric (and/or the structures and/or the tensioning wires) are "wrinkling".
I found that for some of those cases, the solution is hidden in Jaguar's Technical Bulletin 76-124 from 12/1997. While dealing with "Convertible Soft Top –Replacing Outer Cover – Guidelines", it gives the decisive hint:
Loosen the mounting bolts of the lower brackets of the rear window frame
links. Slide the lower brackets completely forward and tighten the bolts
(Illustration 1). This full adjustment range may be necessary later if the
material between the frame and the body is wrinkling and needs more
tension.
The brackets are easy to locate (there is also an illustration in the bulletin): raising the carpet behind the back seats, on the right and left side close to the backrest, see photo (don't mind the brown thing, it's a leaf...):

​​​​
The problem is that in many cases, the brackets have been moved already completely backwards (as in my case), either because they haven't been placed correctly (i.e. as described in the bulletin) when the Soft Top was replaced, or because somebody already has tried to adjust the top:

Now my question: Is there any way to re-tension the soft top, i.e. loosen the bolts, sliding the brackets all the way forward,tighten them and then...???

The Bulletin mentions "The XJS service manual provides a procedure for replacing the soft top outer cover on page 76-105 (Convertible Hood - Canopy 76.86.12)."
I wasn't able to locate this service manual (I thought I had any manual and bulletin available on my hard disk) - does anyone happen to have it?

Thanks for advice & best regards
Martin