XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Speak to me of cleaning guage contacts and adding a ground

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Speak to me of cleaning guage contacts and adding a ground

OK...I have seen on the forums (and had recommended for my 1990 XJS convertible) the idea of cleaning the contacts for the gauges and adding a ground to the back of the instrument cluster panel. ummmm...huh? :-)

My gauges are "fussy" - sometimes a bit slow, sometimes wonky, sometimes refusing to work. But it's intermittent (I know, isn't every Jag electrical problem intermittent?) and not really a big deal. However, I'm planning my fall/winter maintenance and trying to get a budget idea for it. I'm hoping to find a window motor, will do a full fluid replacement, but I'm thinking this dashboard cleaning is also a good idea.

Are there photos/directions/YouTube videos on HOW to do this? I'm not a DIY person, but I'm wondering if this is something I can do after the mechanic pulls the front off?

Any help or advice welcome! - Gina

Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by gkazimir
Are there photos/directions/YouTube videos on HOW to do this? I'm not a DIY person, but I'm wondering if this is something I can do after the mechanic pulls the front off?

Any help or advice welcome! - Gina
Gina,

I don't know about a video but it is a fairly easy task. If you have the service manual the procedure is described there. Basically you remove the 3 screws that hold the instrument surround in place and take it off. Then prise of the little covers in the top corners of the instrument panel and remove the screws behind them. Gently pull the instrument assembly forward and disconnect the harness and pull out the unit. (you may have to move your steering wheel forward)

Clean the contacts with an electrical contact cleaner and if you like, apply some dielectric grease to protect from water invasion and corrosion.

Cheers,

Allan

The following users liked this post:
gkazimir (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

The Great Palm's book is very good on this point. A summary is (but read the original):

Remove the instrument cluster, then undo the screws that hold it together so you can get to the gauges. Carefully clean up all the many tiny copper contacts and various steel earth-strap contacts between the actual instruments and the blue flexible circuit board they connect with. For example there are tiny little screws that carry the current between the guages and their contacts.

Clean up all contact points obsessively, a little light emery-papering and contact cleaner if needed, use contact cleaner afterwards, and the guages and clocks will work a treat. Cost almost zero, work, maybe a few hours. Hint: put a clean white sheet on the table and take the cluster apart on that, so any dropped bits are easily found. I even got my petrol gauge to properly register the tanks's contents when under a quarter full. Proof if there ever was any!

Greg

gkazimir (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

There basically aren't any video or pictorial how-tos for the XJS. Mostly just because there aren't as many people that own them, and its hard to find time. I was going to post a video of me changing my distributor cap and rotor, and the plugs, but the camera messed up and deleted half of it, it turns any job twice as long because you have to set up the camera and edit afterwords.

Anyways, the dash is pretty easy, the panels on the inside unscrew and then the gauge cluster itself has 2 screws at the top corners. You have to pull out the steering wheel all the way and reach behind to remove the connectors before removing.

gkazimir (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you, all! So..what is the "Great Palm Book" of which you speak :-)?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by gkazimir
Thank you, all! So..what is the "Great Palm Book" of which you speak :-)?
It is a very useful collection of owner experiences regarding the workings and maintenance of the XJS that was compiled by an XJS owner Kirby Palm. It is particularly useful for pre facelift V12 models.

There is a link to it in the "how to" section of this forum along with a great many other very useful links. I highly recommend having a look.

Here is the Palm link. http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/XJS_help.pdf

Cheers,

Allan

gkazimir (08-15-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Cleaning the contacts on the board use a pencil eraser. I have used these for over 30 years to clean contacts in all sorts of the equipment I have serviced. I would not use any abrasives these will damage the contacts and can cause dirt to build in the scratch marks.

The plugs are little more difficult I would use isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud to clean the contacts on the connectors that plug into the cluster.

gkazimir (08-15-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,074 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Hi Gina
Here is one I prepared earlier.
Actually I have just taken it out and will be preparing it later but thought that you might want to see what you are getting into.

Attached Thumbnails Speak to me of cleaning guage contacts and adding a ground-2013-08-08-001.jpg  
gkazimir (08-15-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

i forgot to mention there are plastic covers at the top of the gauges that pop out to allow access to the screws to remove it. They are on either side of the top warning light bar

gkazimir (08-15-2013)