XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Mmmmmm.

Back to basics, skip what you have checked.

Has it got spark, a spare spark plug in the end of any easy to get at plug lead will determine this.

Are the injectors "clicking", if not, then the shielded wire is highly suspect. It also informs the ECU that there is ignition pulse present, so injection activity is maintained.

The CTS (coolant temp sensor) in the rear of the LH thermostat base is required for engine running, and the wires inside the plug are flimsy at best, and break very often, and the engine is dead without this sensor giving its reading to the ECU.

The module inside the ignition amp may be hissy, it controls spark (suggestion 1), and also the signal to that shielded wire.

I am still trying to get my head around the "starts without fuel pump plugged in, and zero with it plugged in", as it basically makes no sense at the moment. It must be getting fuel from somewhere to actually "fire". Thinking as I type on that. The "main relay" in the RED socket in the boot, switches the ECU "ON", and the fuel pump relay "ON", so if the fuel pump relay/fuel pump is suspect, the main relay may be switching itself OFF, due to that issue, then with the pump unplugged, the fault is not sensed, so the "main relay" stays "ON", so the ECU is active, as is the EFI system, so engine "fire" occurs, plug the pump in, and the fault returns, so the relay cuts off, as does the ECU and the EFI system, hence a dead engine. If that makes sense.

All this still does not get my head around the rotor and cap replacement causing it???????.
Grant,

My thinking on his description is he is cranking like crazy and it gets flooded then he disconnects the fuel pump and it burns off all that fuel for a short run and of course then dies. Possible disturbed something when he was replacing the cap is my thinking.

Maybe the original poster can type a better description with more detail? It would help if the OP used normal sentences and punctuation. It is very hard to read all lower case with random characters thrown in.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Edge
Grant,

My thinking on his description is he is cranking like crazy and it gets flooded then he disconnects the fuel pump and it burns off all that fuel for a short run and of course then dies.

I tend to agree (see post #11)

Possible disturbed something when he was replacing the cap is my thinking.

Entirely plausible....even likely. It it very easy to inadvertantly injure the wires, connectors, etc in the "vee".

Maybe the original poster can type a better description with more detail? It would help if the OP used normal sentences and punctuation. It is very hard to read all lower case with random characters thrown in.

i fully agree it is very difficult to slog through a posting when everything in blurred together in one giant run-on sentence with no caps no paragraphs no punctuation and this is especially true for oldsters like me who have tired eyes and wear bifocals ha ha if everyone would just take a couple extra minutes to compose their postings so as to be easily read and understood by those who are trying to assist it would make life so much easier this isn't a matter of being the grammer ooops grammar police but instead simply a matter of effective communication of sometimes tricky and technical information so please edit postings for clarity before hitting the submit reply button and remember there's no shame in using paragraphs to be honest there are times where id like to help but the way the questions or situations are presented it makes it very difficult to even know where to begin personaly id rather devote more effort into solving problems and less effort trying to read and understand what the other guy is saying just my lousy two cents on the matter :-)

Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
i fully agree it is very difficult to slog through a posting when everything in blurred together in one giant run-on sentence with no caps no paragraphs no punctuation and this is especially true for oldsters like me who have tired eyes and wear bifocals ha ha if everyone would just take a couple extra minutes to compose their postings so as to be easily read and understood by those who are trying to assist it would make life so much easier this isn't a matter of being the grammer ooops grammar police but instead simply a matter of effective communication of sometimes tricky and technical information so please edit postings for clarity before hitting the submit reply button and remember there's no shame in using paragraphs to be honest there are times where id like to help but the way the questions or situations are presented it makes it very difficult to even know where to begin personaly id rather devote more effort into solving problems and less effort trying to read and understand what the other guy is saying just my lousy two cents on the matter :-)

Couldn't have said it better myself. I too ignore posting when it is like this. I am not trying to say everyone should have perfect grammar but at least try to separate the thoughts and make them clear.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im puzzled too

I am also puzzeled at the fact that if i unplug the fuel pump it starts immediatly as if the fuel pump is grounding out the system but it still has spark while the pump is plugged in I am going to dive into this today and get it solved I will not be defeated (intentionally LOL) have to have some humor right

Old 07-14-2012, 02:27 PM

Sorry about the grammer . I guess you really don't think about it when you are frustrated if that should be taken into consideration also . I will try to be more aware of this in the future

Old 07-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Default back to the basics

Well I've taken it all back apart I've blown the distributor out incase any metal fell there and is shorting it out . After this I do not know if this will make any difference but some orange colored pieces of plastic came out of the ditributor fairly small pieces

Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Default whew finally got it

After long hard research I narrowed it down to the shielded wire in the injector harness . Thank you for all your help everyone . I took her out for a ride got her up to 130 right quick and brought her back home its gonna rain soon I try not to have her out in the rain. So happy to be driven her again such a joy .

Old 07-15-2012, 05:08 AM
Received 10,467 Likes on 6,912 Posts

FAIR DINKUM.

I need a drink, REALLY.

Now I know why I dont run a shielded wire anymore, and my ign amp is out the front of the radiator (where the 2nd coil used to live).

Good news on the fix, by the way, and thanks for letting us all know the end result.