XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Starterrrrrrrrrrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Starterrrrrrrrrrrrr

Im looking for a second opinion on my starter. OEM from ‘86. A few days ago I started her up as usual but there was a noise that was different than usual when I released the starter. Kind of a grrr. I become hyper alert alert when the women in my life suddenly change behavior. Survival instinct.

She always starts in 1-2 seconds. The morning before the grrrr sound she didn’t start the first time I spin her over. Started on second try.

First crank of the day is the only time this happens. Moderate temps here in the morning today it’s 75 F at 5:30. Birds and crickets happy.

Yesterday she started up ok. Not strong like usual, but first spin. And then, on releasing the starter, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. A deep guttural rolled-tongue R.

I’m assuming the starter gear is not disengaging properly. Here in the South the BFH comes out and usually convinces the starter solenoid to do its dang job. I’m not sure if I could even get to Jessie’s starter with a BFH but I don’t plan to try.

So, should I just order a gear reduction starter and pop it in and be done? I don’t see any point in servicing it since I certainly don’t want to swap it twice. Or does someone here have a suggestion that I haven’t thought of?

Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 AM
Received 10,566 Likes on 6,978 Posts

I would check the starter relay.

Lazy return to open of the points would reek havoc, and does.

Clean them up, solvent wash the innards after, and refit the tin cover.

Failing that, the starter needs a pinion lube.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I would check the starter relay.

Lazy return to open of the points would reek havoc, and does.

Clean them up, solvent wash the innards after, and refit the tin cover.

Failing that, the starter needs a pinion lube.
well that is a possibility I hadn’t considered. I’m used to lazy mechanicals, lazy electronics I hadn’t considered!

I’ll give the relay a thorough cleaning and see if that does the trick.

You seem to know now a thing or two about this model of automobile random internet stranger. By the way I wonder if you could tell me how to be courageous? My friend could use some help with his brain, and do you happen to have a hot air balloon?

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-13-2018)