XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Steering rack and pinion leak / repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 09:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Steering rack and pinion leak / repair

I replaced my rack & pinion a couple years ago with a rebuilt unit from Detroit Axle and now have a pretty substantial leak; while Detroit claims to have a lifetime warranty they unfortunately do not have any available, do not offer in-house repair of the unit I have and apparently processed a credit of the unit I bought by mistake when I returned my core so no recourse to push the lifetime warranty aspect - positive side is I was not out any money for this apparently defective unit given the errant refund/credit.

However, I'm contending with an appreciable leak that's embarrassing with the constant marking of territory when I drive somewhere and the incessant use of kitty-litter in my garage...

I have found this seal-kit but not comfortable tackling this on my own and would rather farm out for repair or exchange.
https://powersteeringseals.com/produ...ab-description
  1. Any Dallas / Fort Worth Texas recommendation of a shop to do the repair?
  2. Online source for either sending in the rack for either repair or purchase / core-exchange?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-10-2022, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

Since its leaking that bad, try some Lucas PS fluid with stop leak. Its thick stuff, and it works. Otherwise get a replacement rack. Im using that stuff in my S3 since I dont want to repair the rack after having done a new rack in the XJS.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:47 PM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

I, like brewtech, use the Lucas Stop Leak. It's pretty much all that's in there now but it did stop the leak after a while. It is very thick and if it's cold out the PS pump struggles a bit till it warms up but that only takes a minute or two. Worth giving it a try.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default XJS steering racks

Originally Posted by CZSteve
I replaced my rack & pinion a couple years ago with a rebuilt unit from Detroit Axle and now have a pretty substantial leak; while Detroit claims to have a lifetime warranty they unfortunately do not have any available, do not offer in-house repair of the unit I have and apparently processed a credit of the unit I bought by mistake when I returned my core so no recourse to push the lifetime warranty aspect - positive side is I was not out any money for this apparently defective unit given the errant refund/credit.

However, I'm contending with an appreciable leak that's embarrassing with the constant marking of territory when I drive somewhere and the incessant use of kitty-litter in my garage...

I have found this seal-kit but not comfortable tackling this on my own and would rather farm out for repair or exchange.
https://powersteeringseals.com/produ...ab-description
  1. Any Dallas / Fort Worth Texas recommendation of a shop to do the repair?
  2. Online source for either sending in the rack for either repair or purchase / core-exchange?
Thanks,
Steve
Hey, this is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties.

Our steering rack rebuilder is doing 5 ZF racks and 2 earlier XJS racks for us right now. If you need one, let me know......

Side note- I had noticed that Detroit axle was advertising early and late style rebuilt XJS racks and was surprised they had any stock. Now I suppose we know that was an error on their part- nothing available....

Thanks

Andrew

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 10-17-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion a steering rack rebuild is not something you van do in your garage. Haven't replaced one in years, but my former Jag mechanic swore by rebuilt steering racks from rebuilder "Mavel".

Here is a link to a retail supplier, but they do not have XJS racks in stock: https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...ring_rack.html
You might try contacting Mavel to see if you can ship yours directly to them for rebuilding: https://www.mavalgear.com/maval/cata...rtNumber=9006M

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (10-18-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default DIY Steering Rack Rfebuild

WayneC is right- rebuilding steering racks is not a DIY job. I've sold steering rack seal kits to customers occasionally over the years (on request by the customer insisting he could do this) and the success rate i maybe 25%. There's much prep that goes into getting the rack ready to reassemble that isn't obvious and usually not within DIY capabilities.

Maval is a good supplier, but they only deal with wholesalers as far as I know.... In the case of the several rebuilt racks I mentioned earlier in this thread they are not our provider - done instead by a local company...

I hope that helps

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Originally Posted by WayneC
In my opinion a steering rack rebuild is not something you van do in your garage. Haven't replaced one in years, but my former Jag mechanic swore by rebuilt steering racks from rebuilder "Mavel".

Here is a link to a retail supplier, but they do not have XJS racks in stock: https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...ring_rack.html
You might try contacting Mavel to see if you can ship yours directly to them for rebuilding: https://www.mavalgear.com/maval/cata...rtNumber=9006M