XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Steering Rack R & R -- am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 846 Likes on 529 Posts

For anyone coming across this thread looking to do the same job, let me make some suggestions from my experience.

1. If you are going to replace the rack, replace the two hoses going into the rack unless you know they are nearly new. You won't want to go back and do it all over again and the hoses are available online for relatively cheap prices.

2. Since you are replacing the hoses or you are certain the hoses are in good nick, disconnect them both from the *other* end (power steering pump and cooler ends). This will make removal and refitting on the rack a great deal easier. The high pressure hose going into the pump is easy to access from underneath, and the return hose going to the cooler can be accessed by removing the lefthand air cleaner.

3. If you don't have them already, invest in a set of long handle "V groove" open end wrenches. Instead of fitting on just two of the hex surfaces of a nut or bolt, they fit on four of the six. I got a set at Harbor Freight for $24.99 less 20% and they come with lifetime warranty.

4. The through the wheel well trick works very well for not only the pinch bolt, but also accessing the upper mounting bolt on the tower side. IF you are doing this on jack stands, you'll have to get your head nearly down on the ground to see the 'window' Doug is talking about for the pinch bolt.

5. When removing and replacing the pinch bolt and the upper mounting bolt, an air or battery powered ratchet with an extension is quite helpful. That way you can concentrate on getting a wrench securely fitted to the nut, and the socket secure on the bolt, then letting the ratchet do the work. It is very helpful with getting the nuts back on because there is so little space to even reach in let alone to turn the nut with your fingers.

6. Before you install the rack, carefully inspect the threads inside the fitting sockets while it's on the bench and easy.

7. After you have secured the rack to the tie rods, and reconnected the power steering hoses, but before you raise the rack into its mounting points -- put the oil filter back on and refill the ps reservoir. Start the engine for a few seconds so you can check for leaks while you can still see everything clearly. The small amount of oil lost, and 5 mins it takes might save you a hour or two later. Then remove the oil filter again so you'll be able reach the pinch bolt once you have raised the rack into the mounting points.

Last edited by Mac Allan; 11-19-2015 at 06:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
gogobrent (02-27-2024), Hedman (07-31-2020), TheWarlock (11-19-2015)