XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Steering rack woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,247 Likes on 5,431 Posts
Default Steering rack woes

A few weeks ago the steering seemed a bit reluctant to self-centre. After a bit, various chores have been done amid the rain of April and May, I put the car on the ramp to take a look. Pushed the wheels back and forth to the sound of dry squeaking/groaning. Oh dear.
Disconnected the column from the rack, still there. Disconnected the steering arms, wheels fine. So rack it is.
So tight had it become that you could not push the track rods on their own in and out. This is a ZF rack I fitted to the car brand new in about 2021.
Called the rack rebuilders in the UK, such enterprises n'exist pas en France! The asked me to try greasing the actual rack ends under the bellows, and report back, which I did. This made it better to a degree, it was certainly half the problem solved; but by no means all of it. Called them and they diagnosed dried out seals, so rebuild it has to be. Incidentally the firm Kiley-Clinton are really decent guys and highly recommended.
https://steering-racks.co.uk/
So I am in the midst of terrifying customs paperwork and I hope that UPS will OK my efforts tomorrow! But read on:
I am always on the lookout for potentially important parts that are fairly priced, as parts get more and more scarce. About three years ago a brand new factory Adwest (ie pre ZF) rack was put up on Ebay; not a rebuild, actual Jaguar factory part still in its Jaguar wax paper. I got it and it was sent to my friend Steve for safekeeping, as he lives near the seller. Steve was going to bring it out here before the dreaded virus struck. Since when it has been safely stored under his spare bed.
So emergency call made last week and it arrived today, complete with track rood end balljoints. All just as described and feels perfect when turned. Once Jack at David Manners sends me the pipes and poly bushes as recommended by Grant, the rack will be fitted. I normally go for the JaguarSport rack bushes; but cash is a factor, they are very pricey!
Then assuming the customs let it through, the old ZF rack will be a spare, and all done pretty reasonably. A few pics of my find attached.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (06-01-2021), ptjs1 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

Very cool to have a new rack. Things are only new once and mass market rebuilt item seldom work as new.