XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Stuck Cassette -- 90 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stuck Cassette -- 90 XJS

Who has cassettes anymore?

So I found one in the car, slid it into the player and it won't eject. Now I have Billy Bob Buttbuddy singing religous cowboy songs over and over and over.

Anybody know of some magic for extracting the Songs That Make You Want To Go To Hell, by Rev. Badhair cassette?

Heeeeeeeeelp!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Soooo... I guess you all just leave the cassette stuck in there and get used to Gonna Ride My Horse To Heaven and Jesus' Chuck Wagon playing every time you drive the car?

Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Some audio units have a master reset button hidden somewhere on the front of the unit, especially those with a detachable faceplate. Find that button, press it, and I bet your cassette will eject when you push and hold the eject button....

That tape stuck in your unit wouldn't have "What a Friend We Have in Cheeses" on it by chance? How about "Baby Don't Wear Your Golf Shoes When You Walk All Over Me"?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

You can remove Billy Bob Buttbuddy it just requires patience and a little surgery.

Tools req'd 2 screw drivers, something suitable, and a teaspoon.

Open the cassette flap and jam it open with something suitable on the right side.

Looking into the left side at the top left corner you will see a lever, with 1 of the screwdrivers move and hold this in the up position.

Now at the same time look at the bottom left corner of the cassette slider tray, and with the other screwdriver move the small lever upwards to release the carrier tray.

You can remove whatever was holding the flap open because you now have 2 screwdrivers in there.

This will allow you to use your "pinky" to gently raise the front of the carrier so that the front cassette driver cog can clear the pinnion.

Leave your pinky in place so that it doesn't drop back down and now slide the spoon under the cassette tray and pivot the spoon in such a way as to raise the rear of the carrier, thus clearing the rear pinnion.

Maintain the spoon in position and with whichever of the screwdrivers is still in reach, you can gently prise Billy Bob forwards.

When enough has appeared you can then take a hold and remove him all together.

Pics attached are of a dismantled unit that was handily in bits in the cupboard. The cassette was inserted and then removed as above.

If you can't get the cassette out using the above in situ in the car, then quickly remove the unit, by dismantling the center console, ski-slope, radio surround and then try again on the bench, before pulling it to bits. Requiring the removal of all visible screws!

There are a couple of wiring connectors to the front control plate that are easy to remove when you have removed the screws but are a nightmare to reconnect.

That's it.

Simple!!!!

Sorry if the first pic isn't quite at the correct angle, had to hold the clear screwdriver in my teeth in order to take the shot with my oher hand. (the things we have to do!)

Cheers,

Name:  IMGP0243.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  56.5 KB

Name:  IMGP0244.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  91.4 KB

Last edited by Translator; 04-01-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 AM

AMAZING Translator!!! Printed it out and all set to go.

Now, if I can just find a Jaguar toolbox that has the right spoon, pinky and left-handed screwdriver.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Translator
You can remove Billy Bob Buttbuddy it just requires patience and a little surgery.

Tools req'd 2 screw drivers, something suitable, and a teaspoon.

Open the cassette flap and jam it open with something suitable on the right side.

Looking into the left side at the top left corner you will see a lever, with 1 of the screwdrivers move and hold this in the up position.

Now at the same time look at the bottom left corner of the cassette slider tray, and with the other screwdriver move the small lever upwards to release the carrier tray.

You can remove whatever was holding the flap open because you now have 2 screwdrivers in there.

This will allow you to use your "pinky" to gently raise the front of the carrier so that the front cassette driver cog can clear the pinnion.

Leave your pinky in place so that it doesn't drop back down and now slide the spoon under the cassette tray and pivot the spoon in such a way as to raise the rear of the carrier, thus clearing the rear pinnion.

Maintain the spoon in position and with whichever of the screwdrivers is still in reach, you can gently prise Billy Bob forwards.

When enough has appeared you can then take a hold and remove him all together.

Pics attached are of a dismantled unit that was handily in bits in the cupboard. The cassette was inserted and then removed as above.

If you can't get the cassette out using the above in situ in the car, then quickly remove the unit, by dismantling the center console, ski-slope, radio surround and then try again on the bench, before pulling it to bits. Requiring the removal of all visible screws!

There are a couple of wiring connectors to the front control plate that are easy to remove when you have removed the screws but are a nightmare to reconnect.

That's it.

Simple!!!!

Sorry if the first pic isn't quite at the correct angle, had to hold the clear screwdriver in my teeth in order to take the shot with my oher hand. (the things we have to do!)

Cheers,

My problem was that the cassette was stuck and the player was constantly trying to reverse it. Even when pressed eject, it would not spit it out and would try to reverse.

I took the front part of the player out, and somehow got the cassette player out, not exactly the way you described, but used 2 screwdrivers, pushed around some parts and freed the cassette out.

Well, now the player still tries to reverse a cassette even when there is nothing inside. The reverse buttons one arrow is lit and when I stick my finger inside I can feel the player reversing.

Oh YEAH! I took out an extra spring that I cannot figure out where it belongs.
Any ideas?

I know this is an old post, but thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Stuck Cassette -- 90 XJS-imgp0242.jpg   Stuck Cassette -- 90 XJS-imgp0243.jpg   Stuck Cassette -- 90 XJS-imgp0244.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Stock head units and speakers of that era are such crap. I would just replace it. All original has its place, but I want to hear modern sound in mine.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Stock head units and speakers of that era are such crap. I would just replace it. All original has its place, but I want to hear modern sound in mine.
Totally agree and, needless to mention, convenience and practicality.

Cheers,

Old 06-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your responses! I think I am going to try to somehow switch from the "cassette" mode to "radio" mode, so that at least the radio will work, and buy an FM transmitter so I can listen to my music from phone/ usb.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

You will be disappointed from ay FM transmitter you can buy these days.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've gotten one out with a long screwdriver and lots of patience!