Tank selector

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 02:29 PM
Received 374 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Looks like a coupe that was converted into a convertible, IMO

Cheers
DD
Is it a Hess & Eisenhardt convertible? I don't know their spotting features.

Hess & Eisenhardt was a company in Ohio who took XJ-S coupes, chopped the roofs off, and made them into convertibles before Jaguar got around to it. If this is an H&E car that explains all the confusion. They do have two tanks and, since they were converted from coupes, have coupe VINs.

Are you aware of Kirby Palm's book on the XJ-S? Its a free 700ish page pdf with a great deal of information on the XJ-S' quirks and how to fix them. Here is the introductory section on H&E fuel tanks:

​​​​​​​FUEL TANKS: This section is of no use to coupe or later convertible owners, but it is reportedly difficult for H&E owners to find information on how this system works so a description is included here. According to Mike Cogswell, “In order to make room for the folding top and its mechanism H&E had to take the standard tank and cut part of it off. It would appear they literally cut the tank and welded in a sloped section. To regain fuel capacity, they added a second tank under the parcel area, basically where the rear seat would have been in a coupe. The upper tank is about 14 US gal. and the lower is about 11.

“As you know, the standard tank has a sump from which the high pressure fuel injection pump draws its fuel. Since the second tank is lower than the first H&E added two concentric hoses. The larger outer hose allows fuel to gravity drain intothelowertankfromtheupper(whichiswherethefiller neckislocated.) Consequently,thelowertankisalwaysfull until the upper tank goes dry. Meanwhile, a small submerged pump constantly pumps fuel from the bottom tank to the top tank via a small tube that is located in the center of the large drain hose. The fuel is dumped into the upper tank’s sump, where it is available to the main fuel pump. The submerged pump can pump fuel faster than the engine consumes it, but any in excess of the sump capacity will drain right back into the lower tank. Both pumps only run when the ignition is on and the standard pump circuit is energized, so all the regular safety interlocks still work.”

Tim Blystone points out that since parking the car nose-down on an incline will cause the fuel to drain toward the forward tank and away from the sump, the auxiliary pump might not keep up when the tank is less than half full. “All of the early tank designs will stall on a sufficient incline.”

“H&E went through a couple of different configurations. The main difference is the dams added in the interior of Jags original tank.”
The book can be downloaded here, the H&E fuel tank section starts on page 249. Kirby Palm's Jaguar XJ-S Help Book

The following users liked this post:
ptjs1 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,078 Posts

It certainly looks like an H&E conversion, the giveaways being the roofline at the rear, the rear window and most importantly, the frames on the front side windows. And although Jaguar were making Convertible XJS by the time of this VIN, H&E were still doing a few last conversions in the US..

Paul

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (10-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:21 PM
Received 8,263 Likes on 4,983 Posts

I thought the H & E cars WERE coupes that were converted???

Old 10-15-2021, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman

That's correct, as mentioned by gareth a few posts above.

Paul

Old 10-15-2021, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
RIght.

But this one just looked different to me; more like one of the (many) one-off conversions done by other shops

On comparing it to pics of other H&Es, I agree that it looks like an H&E

Cheers
DD

Old 10-16-2021, 07:19 AM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

The H&E cars also had little ID badges on the lower front fenders. After all these years it is entirely possible they are not there anymore. They were glued on with a kind of rubberized adhesive. If the car was repainted they could have easily been removed.

The doors window frames were also changed by cutting them off but leaving the wing windows.

The wiring harnesses were a bit different to account for the rear 1/4 windows, the convertible function, and fuel tank arrangement. In '88 heated, but not power, seats were added to the Jag lineup. There may be other distinctions but I am not aware of them.

My assumption is that Jaguar shipped partially assembled cars to H&E in Cincinnati. H&E then began their process to cut the tops off and re-engineer the cars. It would be interesting if there was any photo documentation of the process they used. I wonder how many cars per week the could do? I don't know the total number of H&E's from '86-'88 but it wasn't a lot. Maybe 2000-3000?

Old 10-16-2021, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 359 Posts

I own a 88 H&E and it only has 1 VIN. As far as I can recall all of the H&E conversions were registered as COUPES. Mine is.
A few ways to know:
H&E left a 3 inch wide piece of the original coupe top above the windshield but reinforced it.
Behind the headlamps are 2 ballasts one on each side.
Along the rocker panel bottom you will see a series of 9/16 bolts. These bolts hold the reinforcement that was inserted from front to back to stiffen the chassis.
To the front of the rear fender well, you will see the worst welding ever done to a car. It is very well hidden the the "10" pounds of seam sealer they used to cover up the shoddy work. No 'butt' welds just 3 or 4 pieces of metal overlapping each other, tack welded and covered with sealer.
I removed it all and had it welded properly.
There is also a cross brace under where the 2nd fuel tank is located.
Mine is undergoing a complete body restoration. I have an autobody welder who comes to my home on his free time and do some work. Slow but getting it done the way I want it done.
60% of the welding completed at this time.

Last edited by sanchez; 10-16-2021 at 02:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sanchez:
Greg in France (10-16-2021), ptjs1 (10-17-2021)