XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Terminator Salvation

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 07:07 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Post Terminator Salvation

Saved an XJS from being scrapped. Owner was frustrated and had enough of dealing with it and was trying to sell it. He had several show some interest but no bites and even though I was going to pass on it I didn't want to see it go to a salvage yard as too many of them do. So I decided rescue it. Being a '95 it has the 6,0L which I prefer as well as better diff gears and the 4L80E. All good things, even has a Cat Cooler radiator but it needs quite a bit of help. Evidently some mice were living under the bonnet.

The clear coat is gone as well as the bonnet insulation.

The seats need some help along with the rest of the interior

The top needs replacing and the boot lock was punched out to force open the lid

It starts and runs, has a power steering leak and the alarm stays on while running.
I am definitely a glutton for the punishments. Love the color, drivetrain and the wheels. Not the biggest fan of facelift cars but they do have a lot of advantages power train wise. I will begin with plugs, new wires as these look to be original, new filters and fix leaks as well as checking all other fluids. Then on to the hard stuff: paint, top and that darn alarm. Oh, and forgot, has a slight leak hitting the passenger floor. Fixed a larger one with the window glazing but still has a little something. And the journey begins.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagman99R:
Mkii250 (08-02-2023), Vee (08-02-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 08:05 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Very nice.
I suggest taking the hood off, the radiator cover off, strip the 'Vee' down, and begin a methodical refurbishing. It will undoubtedly take time.
Replace all belts, hoses, T-stats, fuel lines (consider pulling entire fuel rail off and redoing the FI's with new filters, pintel covers, and "O" rings,
Drain and replace ALL fluids (trans/brake/radiator/power steering) including gas in the tank. New brakes pads, shocks (especially the front), steering/sway bar and ride bushings, fuel filter and swirl tank filter. clean the gunk out between the radiator and the coolers mounted in front of it.
I know it sounds like al ot and it is but IMO that is the only way to go about dealing with these cars when found in such condition. You have to get tot basic and high baseline otherwise it will always be one step ahead and 2-3 backwards.

The following users liked this post:
Mguar (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 384 Likes on 282 Posts

I’ve been trying to find an affordable 6.0 non runner is fine. Coupe or convertible. Rusty or wrecked.
Do you mind letting me know what you paid?

Old 08-02-2023, 12:54 PM
Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

This one is about 20 miles away from me and looks pretty good.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...649338943.html

If I had the room for it or it was a coupe I'd snap it up.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

That is in restorable condition. I’m mainly looking for a parts candidate. Fire, smashed, junked stripped etc.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:57 PM
Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

I think you would have a hard time finding a Facelift ....Fire, smashed, junked stripped etc for that kind of money,

Old 08-02-2023, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by BradsCat
Very nice.
I suggest taking the hood off, the radiator cover off, strip the 'Vee' down, and begin a methodical refurbishing. It will undoubtedly take time.
Replace all belts, hoses, T-stats, fuel lines (consider pulling entire fuel rail off and redoing the FI's with new filters, pintel covers, and "O" rings,
Drain and replace ALL fluids (trans/brake/radiator/power steering) including gas in the tank. New brakes pads, shocks (especially the front), steering/sway bar and ride bushings, fuel filter and swirl tank filter. clean the gunk out between the radiator and the coolers mounted in front of it.
I know it sounds like al ot and it is but IMO that is the only way to go about dealing with these cars when found in such condition. You have to get tot basic and high baseline otherwise it will always be one step ahead and 2-3 backwards.
Hello fellow Virginian, yes all good points. I do have the service history from the previous owner and it seems to have sat at the mechanics for the past year. Has had recent trans and engine oil changes along with a number of other items. Mechanically it's pretty good, just severely neglected in a cosmetic way. I'm quite familiar with them in the form of the Lucas cars, not so much with the Marelli. I do prefer the Marelli though as it is a much more accurate type of ignition and fueling system even though it's not sequential which isn't that important once you pull away from idle. I have worked on a couple of other peoples cars for them when they are unable to find anyone versed in the V12 world, or an Indy Euro mechanic screws one up. This one shows all the typical neglect that I've seen over the years with the added cosmetics. Definitely not as nice as the '88 H&E that we once had but it will get there.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mguar
I’ve been trying to find an affordable 6.0 non runner is fine. Coupe or convertible. Rusty or wrecked.
Do you mind letting me know what you paid?
Prepare to be sickened and disgusted, I paid $900. He was interested in around 2k but had no takers and with good reason. There was a time not long ago when one could get one these cars in good condition for between 3-5K but not now. My wife pointed out one that was listed at $6800 and very good cosmetically at a dealership closer to me than this car. But it was gold, tan top, 5 star wheels, a '92 (which I do like) but very boring looking and knowing myself, I would want to change the rear end gears, install the '94 6.0L that I've been holding onto and convert it to manual. And I would still be having to do most of the basic mechanicals that I have to do with this car: plugs, wires, probably injector harness and whatever else. So, in the end I think I'm farther ahead.

Mguar (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 07:20 AM
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by equiprx
This one is about 20 miles away from me and looks pretty good.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...649338943.html

If I had the room for it or it was a coupe I'd snap it up.
Not sure I like the "will smog easily" comment

Old 08-03-2023, 10:23 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,234 Posts

I always love the "AC Works, Just Needs a Recharge" line in all car ads.

Old 08-03-2023, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
I always love the "AC Works, Just Needs a Recharge" line in all car ads.
If it's that simple, why not do it and advertise the car as having working AC? Obviously it isn't that simple...

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
arcticsilvere39 (08-07-2023), LnrB (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagman99R
Prepare to be sickened and disgusted, I paid $900. He was interested in around 2k but had no takers and with good reason. There was a time not long ago when one could get one these cars in good condition for between 3-5K but not now. My wife pointed out one that was listed at $6800 and very good cosmetically at a dealership closer to me than this car. But it was gold, tan top, 5 star wheels, a '92 (which I do like) but very boring looking and knowing myself, I would want to change the rear end gears, install the '94 6.0L that I've been holding onto and convert it to manual. And I would still be having to do most of the basic mechanicals that I have to do with this car: plugs, wires, probably injector harness and whatever else. So, in the end I think I'm farther ahead.

That’s typically the money I pay for cars like that. Actually a little cheaper since most I grab don’t run. And few are willing to take on such projects.
I prefer the 1993 & early 94 V12’s since they still have the forged and hardened cranks. Late 94 to end of production had Sintered Iron which still works fine on the street.
Racing though with your food almost nailed to the floor for the 1/2 hour of a typical Vintage race You really do want the forged crankshaft

Last edited by Mguar; 08-03-2023 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Duplicate.
Mkii250 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagman99R

That’s typically the money I pay for cars like that. Actually a little cheaper since most I grab don’t run. And few are willing to take on such projects.
I prefer the 1993 & early 94 V12’s since they still have the forged and hardened cranks. Late 94 to end of production had Sintered Iron which still works fine on the street.
Racing though with your foot almost nailed to the floor for the 1/2 hour of a typical Vintage race You really do want the forged crankshaft

Old 08-03-2023, 12:10 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Always impressed by people who have the vision, confidence and skills to take on such a project - and see it through.

It will be a beauty when you are done, ask me how I know...

Mkii250 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by inertian
Always impressed by people who have the vision, confidence and skills to take on such a project - and see it through.

It will be a beauty when you are done, ask me how I know...

Ah yes! Exactly what I had in mind, beautiful car and I look forward to that only with a different color interior. Thanks for your confidence. It will take me some time but so worth it 😻

Greg in France (08-04-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 10:32 PM

The only change I would like to make is to get rid of the amputee rated rear seats and replace them with the earlier storage compartment.