XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

TH400 Transmission filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 10:30 AM
Received 593 Likes on 368 Posts
Default TH400 Transmission filter

Whilst removing the old filter I 'observed' that the filter was not tightly secured, the bolt into the valve body was tight but the filter was free to move up and down by around 10mm - surely this is not correct,

There was also no O ring in place on the top connection of the plastic uptake tube from the filter to the pump, there's some sediment that is clearly friction material, I have yet to analyse further, it isn't bad compared to some I have seen but it isn't something I wanted to find.

Anyone here done their own filter that would care to share what they found re the bolt / loose filter / missing O ring and sediment.

Old 06-17-2023, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Ben
The filter is intentionally loose on the bolt. It must not be tightened.
The O ring is to seal the tube, it just needs replacing and the tube pushing back in.

A box rebuild is always a good idea if funds permit, but I would be amazed if it failed if you did not.
Mind you, knowing you...

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
BenKenobi (06-17-2023), JJS- Florida (06-18-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 11:09 AM

Too far down the road, there will be no rebuild voluntarily - I refuse to take that damn engine out again this project has dragged on the point where patience is thin - sure that may be a surprise.

There was no O ring at all - it has one now - the sediment was very gritty, sandy almost, but not metalic, the 'sand' almost reminds me of the mess I took out of the back of an aluminium block - it was galvanic corrosion from between a liner and the block

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Originally Posted by BenKenobi
There was no O ring at all - it has one now - the sediment was very gritty, sandy almost, but not metalic, the 'sand' almost reminds me of the mess I took out of the back of an aluminium block - it was galvanic corrosion from between a liner and the block
That is interesting, Ben. Lots of people report such a deposit, often in quantity is found in the rear of the V block, when they rebuild it.

Old 06-17-2023, 02:20 PM
Received 328 Likes on 212 Posts

I literally took the transmission out of my XJ12 ten minutes ago. Unless I misread, you suggest engine out. I assure you the engine stays in! A cross bar across the back of the engine holds it up. That bar had a big threaded hook so you lower the rear of engine (stressing the mounts slightly…) enough to undo the bellhousing bolts with lots of impact wrench extensions. depending on how tight the flywheel bolts are you may have to remove the engine oil pan and baffle too.

The XJS transmission rebuild I did earlier has survived 5000 miles so figured it was time to do this one. The XJS had that classic brown sandy material you mentioned. Some of it was quite hardened and deposited through out the transmission. 80% of the rebuild time was cleaning!

The XJ12 is another story… the cooler inside the radiator sprung a leak, and pumped antifreeze into the transmission. I noticed when pink foam started coming out the top of the dipstick. A drain and fill was enough to keep driving it but you knew it was going to fail eventually. You have to rev the crap out of it to move an inch.

motorcarman (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 02:26 PM

Stays in if you have your resources - not all of us are lucky enough to have access to a lift such as that, some of us are compelled to roll around on the floor.

Back in my youth I may have struggled and messed about, I had the strength and the endurance, I alas I have enough decades under my belt that I can't be bothered struggling with an auto transmission above my head, working alone .with a recovery time measured in days not minutes.

Old 06-17-2023, 02:40 PM

A lift will greatly extend your working years! Makes tasks enjoyable again. A four post is roughly $4000, and two posts are about $3k. Two post lifts are cheaper but harder to install.

I went with a 4 post because concrete floor in the barn is no good. My uncle came by, saw that it could double his garage parking. Stack the cars. He bought two lifts… which in turn forced him to get an XK120 and a Bentley Continental. So it can end up costing way more than $4k for a lift

Greg in France (06-18-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 02:42 PM

Anyone near New Hampshire who wants their Jaguar TH400 rebuilt, write me. I’m looking for work .

Old 06-17-2023, 02:47 PM

All I can say is I have a dream, I'd like nothing more than to build the ultimate man cave (don't be offended ladies) but unless I win the lottery or get a windfall from some long lost relative it isn't happening.

I have the space, I even got something designed, but, it's a big but, I am past the age where I'm prepared to borrow vast amounts nor am I prepared to borrow against my home which is paid for. The total build cost because of planning BS and all the BS in building codes here these days would exceed 45k. I have considered getting something quick and dirty done but I'm not really a quick n dirty type.

Old 06-17-2023, 03:10 PM

Yeah the lift only makes sense in an existing garage. $45000 to remove a transmission makes no sense. Might as well pay guy. Lifts do have good resale value… so if you end up only able to work a few more years I would let that put me off. Don’t let the goal of perfect out you off from a lift in your current garage.

I wish they still made outdoor lifts. Took my MGB to a shop 20 years ago and pulled it around out back and put it on an ancient Rotary outdoor lift for an oil change. On a beautiful spring day I can imagine anything more pleasant than working on a car outside… on a lift!

Old 06-17-2023, 03:23 PM

My current garage is what we call in the UK a sectional / prefab, it is made from concrete sections and whilst it can theoretically hold two cars it is full of spares for all the cars that I can't get away with keeping in the house (she's a bit funny about it), the roof trusses are lower than the top of a four post lift towers - bottom line totally unsuitable.

Anyone owning an XJS (or any older Jaguar) that's serious doesn't pay others - except to stay away from the car perhaps - bankruptcy comes fast enough as it is.

In fact I think any old Jaguar should be described as a 'Bankruptcy Starter Kit'

If I found an outdoor lift I'd buy it in a heartbeat ... I detest working under cars.

This is the XJS in front of my garage - it is pretty much still in the same spot, been on QuickJacks for 3 years - to the left are three other cars that I can do nothing with because of where the Jag is, there is also a car hiding in the garage and work on it is also at a standstill because of the Jag - when I started I thought it would only take a weekend, found some rot in the front and the journey began

Last edited by BenKenobi; 06-17-2023 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added pic