XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

IS there a way to manually put the roof up (or down) if your power fails?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default IS there a way to manually put the roof up (or down) if your power fails?

So my mechanic and I were discussing things (that's another thread- car died and had to be towed) and I got to wondering if there is a way to manually operate the roof in the event of a total power loss? Anyone? Just tug?

Hopefully NOT something I'll ever need, but good to know I figure...

Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by gkazimir
So my mechanic and I were discussing things (that's another thread- car died and had to be towed) and I got to wondering if there is a way to manually operate the roof in the event of a total power loss? Anyone? Just tug?

Hopefully NOT something I'll ever need, but good to know I figure...

In my facelift theres a big honking switch to change it to manual should something fail. It's in the trunk, under the cover, on top of the hydraulic pump assembly that operates the roof.

The following users liked this post:
gkazimir (05-11-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

As Vee says, there is a valve on the hydraulic pump you can change from AUTO to MANUAL. You can then put the hood up and down manually.

I believe Vees 96 car has rear seats, so the hydraulics are in the trunk.

@gkazimir

For our cars, ie 2 seaters with cubby boxes behind the front seats the hydraulics are in the cubby box. on the right hand side under a little cover that is held in place by 2 screws.

All the rear window up/down relays are in there too. I know you had some issues with one of your rear quarters not working..... are you sure its the motor ? have you tried swaptronics with the relays ??

The following 2 users liked this post by Sarc:
gkazimir (05-13-2013), Schoemann (08-06-2021)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 AM

Thank you! I do know where that box is in the cubby - we did do the swaptronics option on the relays for the rear window. Sadly it didn't help, but we pulled the relays so the rear windows are fixed up until we get to that particular issue. I'll have to go look for the honking big handle now - I'm learning that being prepared is best with these cars :-).

Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 AM

FYI - I did find this in one online owner's manual:

Power Operated Hood - Manual Operation

In the event of a failure in the operation of the hood it is recommended that you contact your nearest Jaguar Dealer for assistance. If you are unable to contact a Jaguar Dealer the have a requirement to either raise or lower the hood the system is equipped with a manual control valve located on the body of the pump

NOTE: Due to the resistance of the hydraulic fluid in the operating rams some people may find it difficult to apply sufficient effort to fully manually raise or lower the hood.

To gain access to the control valve, remove the trim panel situated inside the rear storage compartment (use a coin to release the two slotted fasteners)

Turn the control valve clockwise to the position marked 'MANUAL'

WARNING: WHEN MOVING THE HOOD MANUALLY ENSURE THAT HANDS AND FINGERS ARE KEPT CLEAR OF THE HOOD LINKAGE

NOTE: The rear quarter windows cannot be opened or closed manually, i.e. if hte hood is being closed manually the rear quarter windows will remain in the open position.

To raise the hood:

Manually push the hood upwards from the rear and then pull it forwards until it is fully raised.

Press the button on the end of the hood handle and push the handle down. Engage the hook in the latch and then push the handle back into position. Repeat this procedure for the the other hood handle.

Turn the control valve anti-clockwise to the position marked 'ELECTRIC'

Slide the trim cover back into position and secure with the two slotted fasteners.

The following users liked this post:
Schoemann (08-06-2021)