XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

theres an injector ghost pulsing my injectors with key on! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default theres an injector ghost pulsing my injectors with key on! Help?

Have a new issue on my 86 xjs project. just when I think I'm nearing the end something else starts happening. The injectors just decide to freak out. These start clicking rapidly as soon as the key hits the on position. From inside it sounds like all off them. So they are clicking with no rpm signal or anything. And it’s not like they are just clicking on and spraying constant like they where shorted to ground, they are actually pulsing really fast. So to me it seems like it must be programed to fire the injectors without cranking or anything under some unknown to me circumstances. I just don’t know under what conditions it would ever want to fire the injectors without a signal from the coil telling it the engine is turning. It’s really kicking my a$$! Any input would be appreciated.

Old 06-03-2024, 11:26 PM
Received 10,478 Likes on 6,919 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

When the kicking settles down, please do an Intro in the New Members Area.

They DO NOT pulse the Injectors in any way at Ign ON.

The list is longish, and will appear vague, as the rapid pulsing is a one of to me.
A single CLICK at Ign ON, is usually a TPS out of range, of going flaky, OR the EFI loom shorting due to age.

Suggestions, and thats all I can provide are:
Unplug the TPS, see if anything changes.
Unplug the Resistor pack, note any changes.
Unplug the ECU, note again. ECU plug Green Death Growth is a common issue in some areas.
Unplug the CTS, that is a waaaay out there suggestion.

I am assuming the Fuel Pump Timer is still operational as designed, being 2 seconds at Ign ON, then stop?

On some markets, there is a thin ????White/Red wire from the Starter Relay that goes to the ECU with power AT cranking to activate the ECU to pulse the Injectors. The "signal" is LOST when the starter ceases to operate, and the Shielded Wire from the AB14 replaces that signal. Soooooo, Starter Relay having a moment, not unheard of.

Cold start relay, dunno, we no got that stuff, BUT, it only operates the 2 Cold Start Injectors, AND ONLY during the Crank Cycle.

If something else comes to mind I will return.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (06-04-2024), JJS- Florida (06-04-2024), orangeblossom (06-04-2024)