XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Are these bumper lights supposed to turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by howlinowl
My '92 has reflectors there, also. Interestingly (or maybe not), my reflectors are white, not red. At one time, I thought they were the back-up lights. Was there a year they changed to red? Or maybe they are different for cars sold to different markets (I've seen a couple of early XJS's that were originally sold in Canada new here in South Florida. Euro headlights and K/m speedos).

howlinowl
Well, just to be totally odd, my 92 has one red and one white reflector. Yes, it has Kmph speedo (no mph) and of course, Eurolights.
Welcome to Canada !!!

Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 386 Posts

Look guys.

On the Facelift car the rear lights in the bumper are reflectors not rear fogs, which are in the rear lamp cluster.
They were once red. No rear reflectors were ever originally white, they have turned white after years of ultra violet sun rays. New red ones are still available.

Last edited by malc4d; 08-30-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by malc4d
Look guys.

On the Facelift car the rear lights in the bumper are reflectors not rear fogs, which are in the rear lamp cluster.
They were once red. No rear reflectors were ever originally white, they have turned white after years of ultra violet sun rays. New red ones are still available.
Thanks.
I did give a thought that perhaps the offside one (left rear) was white for a safety or visibility reason. Might be worth trying to sniff out a replacement, however, if they are available.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:51 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by gerryxjs
Thanks.
I did give a thought that perhaps the offside one (left rear) was white for a safety or visibility reason. Might be worth trying to sniff out a replacement, however, if they are available.
And replying to my own post, and can advise that mine is not a faded red one on the left side ! I pulled them both off very easily, and although they both have the same numbers visible, when viewed on the car, on the inside/backside they each have unique DAC numbers on the Brycrest labels:-
Right hand is DAC10754 and Left hand is DAC6639.
So, one is clear (offside) and the other is red.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 AM

Yes I did see that link (and many others) most with quite high prices for simple reflectors ! But see the attached photo of my two reflectors clearly showing left and right etc etc. !

Attached Thumbnails Are these bumper lights supposed to turn on?-img_0599.jpg  

Last edited by gerryxjs; 09-01-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
They were once red. No rear reflectors were ever originally white, they have turned white after years of ultra violet sun rays.
I think that's really, really unlikely. See here, for example:
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hs...S/3720471.html

Also, my car has both white and red rear reflectors, and it's extremely unlikely that the inner red ones both faded to a perfect white while the rear ones remained bright red.

The following users liked this post:
gerryxjs (09-05-2017)
Old 12-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually, Paul @ Paul's Jaguar (no relation, LOL) states the very same thing in his listing for NOS reflectors ("relfex lamps"). The '92-'93 MY rear reflectors were red at the time of leaving the factory, but became clear over time, for unknown reasons. I have just finished doing extensive research on this by looking at '92 Jags with pics or videos taken in various years, and, esp. based on the long brochure Jag issued for the '92 MY, it appears this is correct. As to the ones in that pic being white (on the blue XJS), it appears to be a used car (note the CA license plates), not brand new, so looks like it fell victim to the same syndrome.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:40 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
On my 95 they are reflectors only too. The rear fog lights are in the actual lamp cluster
Yes, those are reflectors only, like on my 95.

Side lights on the front and rear bumpers are lit with the small peanut bulbs accessed from the trunk/boot for the rear and under the bumper for the front.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

I've had my car from new. It came with 2 RED reflectors.... BUT they were both WHITE a few years later when l bought new replacement RED ones. Just saying....Smile

Can anyone show a picture of ANY BRAND NEW XJS with WHITE rear reflectors or even a brochure photo with white rear reflectors ???
I know laws differ in many counties BUT I cannot see any allowing white rear reflectors JUST on the XJS. !!!!

Last edited by malc4d; 12-17-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

I wonder if it's not a market thing. Or perhaps just what was on hand at the time. The brochure for the 1992 XJS here, for the UK market, shows red ones, definitely. Yet this photo from another brochure appears to show white ones.

This photo shows one of each. While a second-hand car for sale, the white/red rear reflectors are the same as the photo of the 1992 car on page 135 of James Taylor's "Jaguar XJ-S: The Complete Story". I have another photo of a 1992 UK car with the same left-white, right-red rear reflectors. And a photo of one with two white ones.

UK codes at least seem to not allow white rear reflectors.

This photo of a 1992 4-litre from Japan shows reflectors that might be a very faded red.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Guys 'an Gals, Its your car, up to you all what you want to fit .
I would suggest that the early part DAC 6639 and 6638, had this fading fault so hence it being superseded by Lh and Rh DAC10755 / Dac10754.
If you search dac 6638/9 it only comes up with red reflectors.
As one of the few original owners here, I know what happened to my car in the first years. The replacement ones are still red many years later.
Your Honor, I rest my case ….

Ask yourselves.... Have you ever seen any car manufactured with white reflectors at the back... I mean ever, even in Japan ??? Let alone with one white and one red !!

Old 12-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

The lights in the rear bumper are a depending upon market item. In the UK and Europe, at least, it is a requirement to have a bright red rear foglight. These are for use in fog to penetrate further than ordinary sidelights, they are activated in my generation of XJSs by turning the light switch one further notch after the headlight position. In this last position the headlights can only be on dip. I understand that in other markets these were not a requirement, and they were changed for reflectors or blanks.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:18 PM
Smile

Your Honor, I rest my case ….

.Well, and the best evidence has been presented (coming from this lawyer, no less) -- someone who actually owned a brand-new '92 - his "reflex lamps" were red at the time of car purchase and gradually "cleared up" over time. Thanks for submitting that info! With that in mind, I scrambled tonight to find AFFORDABLE NOS replacements and was finally able to find them. One of the usual suspects (mentioned above) wanted an insane $85.00 apiece for his (IMHO). I found another suspect though who has NOS ones for only $38.00 apiece. These are DEEP red, so in the event the defect is present in them at least it will take a long time before they clear up The only down side is the vendor had to back order them (and "special order" too, no less) from a jobber in the U.K., which means I probably won't have them in my hands until around the 1st of the year, if I'm lucky. btw, how do they attach? It appears they utilize double-pronged tabs - no double-sided adhesive tape required ? The' 94-'96 style reflectors just use the tape.

Last edited by AttyDallas; 12-17-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 96 the lenses in the bumpers are reflectors and the switch-activated rear fog lights are in the trunk lid. This thread made me curious so I checked my car and learned something new. I also found that one of those rear fog lights is burned out and it does not set off the warning light on the dash.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:15 PM

I thought there is supposed to be only one red fog light on in the rear. Left side light if driving on right side of road.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. My right light works. Nothing on the left. But I’m in the U.S.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Yiger
On my 96 the lenses in the bumpers are reflectors and the switch-activated rear fog lights are in the trunk lid. This thread made me curious so I checked my car and learned something new. I also found that one of those rear fog lights is burned out and it does not set off the warning light on the dash.
Yeah, I found out recently by "accident" that only the (1) taillights (2) brake lights (3) license plate lights and (4) side marker/parking/clearance lights are on the BFM circuit. The BFM is primarily to alert the driver if they have a light out while driving that they don't know about -- it would be pretty obvious that a headlight or fog light is out. Presumably the same for the back up light(s), as they give off quite a bright white light visible in the rear view mirror when activated. Knowing that it would be difficult to check whether a brake light (other than the high stop unit) is out when hitting the pedal or doing a walk-around check of the car alone, Jaguar cleverly designed the BFM system with yet another feature. I didn't know about this feature until I ran across it in the User's Guide/Owner's Manual some time back. To check to see if a brake light bulb is responsible for the BFM being on you push and hold down on the brake pedal while activating your parking brake. Keeping your foot on the pedal, release the parking brake. If the problem is a brake light bulb, then the BFM light should go out when doing this. If it remains on, then the problem is a bulb in another part of the BFM circuit (hopefully I didn't get that backwards ) ... .

Last edited by AttyDallas; 12-18-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Check the bulbs in the rear fogs, They should both come on with the switch.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:34 AM

Ok, just looked up fog lights in the wiring diagram for '95.
Seems there are indeed two fogs in the rear. So question; if I don't have front fogs as an option, ( I believe most 6cyl cars did not)does that mean I wouldn't have the rears either?

Quick Reply: Are these bumper lights supposed to turn on?