XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Throttle Wiring Harness Fryed

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 04:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Throttle Wiring Harness Fryed

I am degreasing and cleaning the engine bay and found a fried wiring harness that comes out the RH side fender well at the firewall. The wires terminate in a white 8 pin plug in connector and is using only 7 pins. As you look down on the top of the connector the 1st pin on the left side is a bare male pin with a green wire to the left this goes to a terminal the roller limit switch on the throttle cable the other cable on the switch is a green/ white that disappears under the firewall into the cabin?, the next position is blanked off, next is a green/blue that goes to a water temperature sensor in the water rail next to the pump, next is a green/brown and it goes to the condenser, the other side of the white connector when it is rolled over starting on the right side the pins are all female, the 1st wire is a large #12 white wire that disappears under the firewall into the cabin? next is black/brown goes below the throttle to a sensor next to a gold colored round tin can with a green dot on top, next is a white/ brown that goes below the throttle to a gold colored round tin can with a green dot on top, next is a white/blue wire I have not terminated and not sure where it goes, there is still a wire that wire that came from under the firewall into the cabin with the large #12 white wire, Can anyone tell me if the wiring colors are going to the correct devices and does the white/blue wire from the connector terminate on the black wire that goes into the car with the white wire.

I had to replace one of the roller limit switches that mounts on a plate next to the rotary throttle. Where the wheel of the limit switch would sits there is in a divot in the round throttle wheel. Should the limit switch be touching the wheel and closing the contact or should the limit switch roller not touch the divot and set the switch to operate when the the throttle is pushed down hard and the throttle wheel spins around and closes the limit switch?
Basically the same question for the roller limit switch in the hole for the throttle cable. Should the limit switch touch the throttle cable or pulled off the cable? Are any of the roller limit switches to be normally closed or open? I started the engine and the throttle raced way up and I turn the engine off fast. Obviously I have the roller set in an incorrect position.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:33 AM

Here is the information on the 8 pin wiring harness running along the firewall and down the middle of the v12 engine that usually gets fried. The wiring harness is number #01. Harness #01 and #02 cable originate from right side of the passenger's footwell behind a metal facade with the ECU Micro Fueling Controller. There are (3) 8 pin connector couplings mounted through the steel side wall then out the RH side of the inner fender well at the firewall (attached picture). Harness #01 has 7 wires, the green wire terminates on the throttle cable limit switch, the other wire on the limit switch is a green/ white that disappears under the firewall into the cabin, the green/blue goes to a water temperature sensor in the water rail next to the pump, green/brown wire goes to the condenser, the #12 white wire disappears under the firewall into the cabin, black/brown goes to the oil warning light sensor, white/ brown goes to the oil pressure sensor, white/blue wire goes to the tachometer under the firewall into the cabin with the #12 white wire.

Hope this helps someone. It helped me locate the
ECU Micro Fueling Controller that is not shown on many of the harness layout drawings.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Right Footwell Harnes 01,02.pdf (120.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf
Harness #01, #02 , Blank.pdf (97.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-11-2024, 11:27 AM
Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

If I'm understanding you correctly, I believe you're referring to the roller switch that controls the transmission downshift when you press the accelerator. I just replaced mine as well. I'm sure the shop manual has a "correct" way to adjust it, but I just put mine about where I want a downshift when I'm driving. I put it in place at about "half throttle", test drove, decided I wanted it a bit earlier, nudged it, test drove and said "Yeah, that'll work." I'll probably check the book when I get the chance, but for right now...

The following users liked this post:
JJS- Florida (04-12-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 05:15 AM

The setup I have with the throttle cable is working fairly good the car idles around 500 RPMs I thinks is to be set around 600 RPMs. I will adjust it up when I get a chance.The transmission shifts between 35000 to 40000 RPMs I need the check the specs to see where the transmission is supposed to shift.