XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

TPS food for thought

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022 | 08:05 AM
|
Default TPS food for thought

It looks like I will be needing to replace the TPS on my 1994 XJS 4.0 . Ive drilled the holes in it and used spray cleaner with some success but the trans light keeps returning but after longer and longer miles driven. The price for a new TPS is hard to swallow especially when it really is a 40 dollar item. God bless supply and demand.
This got me thinking about alternatives which don't seam to exist for the 4.0 engine. so here is my thought ,and just I'm throwing this out for discussion . This issue if I understand correctly is the TPS for the 4.0 is a 6 wire 2 track type which few cars use. If you could stack two 3 wire TPS's from lets say a ford , like what can use on the V12 and drive them though a common shaft that could connect to the shaft that comes out the bottom of the throttle body . One 3 wire TPS for the engine and the second for the transmission. Issues to solve would be finding two TPS's with the correct sweep range and output values then modifying one of the TPS's for a though shaft and then a method of adapting that to go in the location of the old unit. Any other thoughts?

Bruce.

Old 10-09-2022 | 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brucethekarl
It looks like I will be needing to replace the TPS on my 1994 XJS 4.0 . Ive drilled the holes in it and used spray cleaner with some success but the trans light keeps returning but after longer and longer miles driven. The price for a new TPS is hard to swallow especially when it really is a 40 dollar item. God bless supply and demand.
Doubly hard to swallow when there's a decent chance that, even if buying (and paying for!) a Jaguar-packaged part, you may well end up with a lower grade Brand-X replacement

This got me thinking about alternatives which don't seam to exist for the 4.0 engine. so here is my thought ,and just I'm throwing this out for discussion . This issue if I understand correctly is the TPS for the 4.0 is a 6 wire 2 track type which few cars use. If you could stack two 3 wire TPS's from lets say a ford , like what can use on the V12 and drive them though a common shaft that could connect to the shaft that comes out the bottom of the throttle body . One 3 wire TPS for the engine and the second for the transmission. Issues to solve would be finding two TPS's with the correct sweep range and output values then modifying one of the TPS's for a though shaft and then a method of adapting that to go in the location of the old unit. Any other thoughts?

Bruce.
You might be the trailblazer, Bruce.

Personally I'd like to hear and and all TPS ideas as I've had my fair share of (V12) TPS problems over the years.

What would be really helpful is a master listing of all the common TPSs that are out there showing pics and specs for each one. It would make choosing possible candidates a lot easier. But....that's probably just a dream

Cheers
DD

Old 10-10-2022 | 03:53 AM
|

I have in my possession a brand new Ford TPS .I will be exploring my idea to some extent using what I can learn from the Ford unit. I have access to a lathe and a milling machine and I work in a engineering department. Maybe I can figure something out and share it with the Jaguar community or maybe someone else will get a spark and beat me too it . I'm not so smart that someone else hasn't thought of it. Maybe "big jaguar parts" buys up any solutions and keeps them hidden so they can keep gouging .

Bruce

The following 3 users liked this post by Brucethekarl:
Doug (10-10-2022), Greg in France (10-10-2022), petemohr (10-10-2022)