XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

trade XJS for S type??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trade XJS for S type??

I'm not sure if trading my 86 XJ-SC for a 2005 S type would be a good deal. I just completed all the maintenance on the XJ-SC including, rear end shocks, brakes,bushings, master cylinder replaced, front shocks, EFI harness, water pump, a few other valves, hoses, fan blade and clutch.

The S Type has 50,000 kms on it and is loaded with all the toys. Not sure what to look out for. Any advice you all may have is greatly appreciated as always.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure I would. I've driven a couple, but S-types are pretty ordinary cars, especially the V6 version.

I would consider an XJ8, however, and would give serious consideration to an XJR.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

No disrespect to the S-Type or those who love them, but I humbly agree with MustangSix.

Though Roland, being in Canada you might find a 2003 S-Type 3.0 with 5-speed manual, which I know I would prefer for fun and sportiness.

Last edited by Mkii250; 03-13-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts
Default T

I like the S types. I think they are nice graceful cars, they just get a bad rep because a lot of people who own them turn them into caricatures with the huge chrome wheels, limo tint etc, but a nice unmolested one should be great. The key is to get something 2003 and above because that's when they changed the gearbox and other things that had gone wrong with the 99-02 models...but even the new ones have those terrible sealed for life transmissions, so make sure that's been serviced (which they can be with a special aftermarket kit) and make sure it's shifting properly .

I still would not trade the XJS for one , but I would add one to my garage, and if I find the right one in the right color for the right price, I will!

Good luck

Old 03-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Aw heck this has been bothering me since I replied earlier today. I do like the S-Type. I think it's the idea of trading the XJ-S that turned me off the idea. As long as you have at least one Jag, life will go on.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM

Hmmm ... sounds like I'm violating the marriage vow and abandoning the better for the worse... er was that forsaking? Maybe I better rethink where my loyalties should lie.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

FWIW, I have too many 2 seaters/2+2s and consider a swap but only for an XJ. I have a weak spot for the XJ40 (had one as a daily driver), but preference would be for the X300 XJR.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Roland Gotzke
Hmmm ... sounds like I'm violating the marriage vow and abandoning the better for the worse... er was that forsaking? Maybe I better rethink where my loyalties should lie.
yes indeed, repent, repent!!

Greg

Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I like both models in different ways.

My only thought on this, is that you have spent considerable time, effort and money in fettling your XJS and now you are thinking about starting again with an S Type.

Still if you enjoy the time, effort and money as a pleasurable hobby, then why not?

Always a juggling act, when you get to this stage.

For better advice on used S Types, post up into the S Type section, the guys like the odd visitor now and again.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSix
S-types are pretty ordinary cars

Really now???

Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Really now???

Yea, really. They are built on the same chassis as the Lincoln LS. Great little cars and really fun to drive but, having just gotten rid of an LS that the tranny went out on I would not want another right now. Definitely would not trade a pristine XJ-S for one.

Marty...............

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

If nothing else, the fact that the S TYPE shared a platform with another car, is a great design achievement, because not only is the S TYPE more unique and distinct than the current generation of Jaguars ( which I assume don't share a platform) , but it is also distinguishable as a JAGUAR. Sadly that can't be said of the current XF and XJ........

The s type (and X type) gets a lot of bad rep for being "retro" and sharing a platform, but both look more unique and distinct that many (most) other cars that have totally different platforms and end up looking exactly the same.

Jus sayin'

Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Let's try to celebrate that the S-Type shared its platform with that iconic "personal luxury car", the Thunderbird.

Attached Thumbnails trade XJS for S type??-thunderbird.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 AM

Thx for the input gentlemen. I've considered all of your advice and have learned quite a bit. Even repented to some degree as suggested and posted on the S forum as well. I appreciate your quality responses very much. Thx again.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by MartySchwartz
Yea, really. They are built on the same chassis as the Lincoln LS. Great little cars and really fun to drive but, having just gotten rid of an LS that the tranny went out on I would not want another right now. Definitely would not trade a pristine XJ-S for one.

Marty...............
See, here is one of the big misconceptions regarding the DEW platform (the source for the S Type, LS, XF, and Thunderbird). The platform was started early in the 90's when Jaguar saw the need to have a car that slotted in below the XJ. They needed it to be advanced yet cost effective. In steps the parent, Ford. By sharing some engineering resources they were able to adapt systems for a more cost effective platform. Bottom line is the actual "bones" of the car and suspension are "all Jaguar". Yes, the V6 was a modified Duratech unit, but the V8 is also all Jaguar. In fact, the only other non-Jaguar vehicles to use the V8 are the LS, Thunderbird, and some Land Rovers. So, while people tend to lump the S-Type as a Ford the reality is actually the LS is a re-skinned Jaguar.

Now there is a problem with the S-Type's DEW platform. It was over engineered to be honest. It was very well done but expensive. One of the issues with the S-Type was it never sold at the scale needed to recover the huge investment. Neither did the LS. Why?? I have a theory. It was all in the designs. The LS was deemed to "boring". I personally loved it. The S-Type was too controversial. Again, I liked the retro feel of it, but the masses, not so much. Yet, as you dig through historical reviews of the cars, their performance was never a real issue. Yea, there were quality concerns, but no worse than other similar vehicles. The platform was so good in fact, it under pins the current XF. Another car where if you remove the subjective element gets very consistent positive reviews when it comes to performance. The DEW almost became the Mustang as well. It became evident very early on in the design that it was just to darn expensive. So, a "cheaper" platform was designed. Think how really good a DEW Mustang would have been.

So, hopefully some sitting here in the XJS world now have a greater appreciation for the poor 'ol S-Type..

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Cool thread.. ( a little biased) but the input and content is great!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Ahhh... A Sages speak... Thank you Jeff for your balance of wisdom. Perhaps, once the snow clears here and the roads are dry, I will be able to fully appreciate the XJ for what it has to offer. Right now it's sitting indoors with a bunch of much needed fixes done and nowhere to go...

Old 03-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Really now???

To me, yes. They just don't exude the same "Jaguar-ness" of any XJ. There's a substantial difference in feel.

Don't get me wrong; they are not bad cars, but simply do not have the same cachet as an XJ.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

An XJS for the modern S type? NEVER. Not even a 6 cylinder XJS.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with Flint.. I wouldn't swap my 6 cylinder XJ-S for an S Type although I may for "AND" an S Type!!

Quick Reply: trade XJS for S type??