XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Two electrical questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Two electrical questions...

1. I know there is a "neutral" switch...but is there a switch that closes (or opens) anytime the car is in a forward drive gear? I'm not seeing one in the electrical manual, but I could be missing it.

Almost as good would be if there is a switch that tells when the car is, or isn't, in park.

2. My main fuse panel has a (blown) fuse in position 6. In the manual, the description of the #6 fuse is blank. Any idea what it's for?

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
62,000 miles

Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Your '87 should have a "feedback inhibit relay" that works off of the existing Park-Neutral safety switch.

It *might* have the idle enhancement relays as well....but these too work off the park-Neutral safety switch.

In answer to your question I'd have to say "no", there is no switch that specifically tells says "the transmission is in gear". But, of course, the existing safety switch says the transmission is or isn't in P/N.....and if the transmission isn't in P/N it must be in gear.

So maybe I should change my answer to "yes" ?

Fuse #6: I didn't do more than a quick scan of the diagrams but I can't find anything that operates from fuse #6. Put a new fuse in and see what happens.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Thanks Doug!

I am considering using my high beams as daytime running lights, but was looking for a way to trigger them when the car is (or is about to) be in motion. I didn't want to wire them to the ignition switch since the would be competing with the starter for battery power (I scrapped the stock sealed beams and have put in Hella H7's, high and low beam relays and lager wiring).

I'll just need to invoke a couple of relays, one to turn the high beams on when the park/neutral switch says the car is in gear, and one to turn them off when the headlight switch is in any position but "off".

We'll see how it turns out :-)

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
62,000 miles

Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

John you could still use the ignition switch as a trigger but wire in a delay relay to activate the lights a few seconds after starting the engine.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thinking about it a bit more, you would need at least two relays, one a delay on start-up and one to switch the feature off when the headlight switch is turned on.

Doing it this way would allow you to use the existing headlight fuses for both purposes. Make sure you add a diode between the last relay and the fuse.

Cheers,

Allan

Last edited by AllanG; 10-18-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

This is the type of delay relay you would need. HID Time Delay Relay - Retro-Solutions Store

Cheers,

Allan

Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

I would not use the HI beams for running lights. go to Daniel Stern web site and look at his running lights "how to" section.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

The parking brake switch might also be useful in your DRL scheme. Just a thought/option.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the comments/suggestions guys.

My thought on wanting the lights to run while only in motion (or about to be in motion) is just to conserve battery power and burn the bulbs not quite so much. Having said that, looking at the link to the relay makes me think that might be an easier solution to implement. Possible it's better to burn the bulbs longer than to cycle them on-and-off...need to research that.

RonaldP, why do you think using the high beams as running lights is a bad idea?

I bought my headlight upgrades, and the daytime running light (DRL) unit, from Mr. Stern. I love the lamps-bulbs and the stuff that came with it, however I'm having problems with the DRL unit. I don't want to criticize Mr. Stern about it since I've not had a chance to sit down and write him about the issue and possible solutions. But having thought about it, it seems that the high beams would be the ultimate DRL's.

For some perspective, my motivation to do so what brought on by a recent unpleasant experience. My wife and I were driving down a narrow, winding road in a forested area where the trees came right up to the road. We round a corner and *surprise* taking his half out of the middle is a big-*** pickup truck. We had nowhere to go...locking the wheels was the only option and wishing for the best whatever happened in the next few seconds. I jammed down on the brakes, the wheels locked, and the screeching of rubber and the blue smoke was something to see. For whatever reason, the p/u truck driver started to pay attention again and swerved back into his lane. Close!!! My theory is that if we had anti-lock brakes we'd be dead right now as my gut tells me he heard the tires squeal and looked up. Of course we'll never know, but I did start thinking at that moment about making the car more visible in any tasteful way that I can.

Thanks for the comments...keep them coming.

Cheers,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
62,000 miles

Old 10-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

100% agreed on being more visible with DRLs. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time but never have gotten 'round to it. I usually just drive with my lights on.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM

Well, I got this to work this morning...although I've not done a "burn in" test yet.

The GB wire off the feedback relay provide 12 volts whenever the car isn't in park or neutral. I ran a wire with a diode and 1.5k resistor in line from the feedback relay to a solid state relay (there is enough voltage drop that without the additional relay in place there isn't enough juice to fire the high beam relay). So the small relay fires the high beam relay, and *presto* the high beams are on whenever the car is in gear.

Of course this same arrangement could be used to turn anything on (low beams, parking lights...) I suppose.

I forward photos and a schematic in a few days.

Cheers,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
62,000 miles