XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

U-Joint replacement - removing axle shaft from hub

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,572 Likes on 677 Posts
Default U-Joint replacement - removing axle shaft from hub

While I have the rear cage out of the car I'm going to replace the axle shaft U-joints. I have the center nut loosened and I applied penetrating oil to the splines and let that soak overnight. This morning I am using my bearing remover to try to push the shaft out of the hub but it's not moving.
While it's under tension from the bearing remover I've tried tapping the center bolt of the bearing remover towards the hub, and I tried tapping the wheel hub away from the hub carrier. Neither produced any movement.

The whole assembly is tooo big to fit in my shop press or I'd have tried that.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-09-2022, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Thorsen
If you refer to my thread, you will see the grief I had getting the splined shaft out. Basically a 40 tonne thumping press at the local John Deere massive vehicle repairer was required! I can assure you no puller will ever do it!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ebuild-225834/

Are you 100% certain the press cannot be adjusted to take the hub, as in the photos on my thread?

Last edited by Greg in France; 01-09-2022 at 12:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,572 Likes on 677 Posts

Thank you, Greg. After reading your thread I can see I'm going to have to re-think my plan here.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:55 AM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

I recall taking the shafts out on my 1979 XJ-S long ago and it was not too hard.
You do not expect anywhere near 40 tons to separate a spline or to assemble one either.
Perhaps at some stage Jaguar used a high strength grade of Loctite on assembly to avoid fretting.
I can tell you those grades have very high shear strength and would make separation a trial of strength.
They do degrade with heat, usually from around 200degC upwards.
Maybe if you can get the thing hot enough it will come apart.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

They will come apart OK except if there is rust and corrosion on the splines! You guys in Oz are lucky!

Old 01-10-2022, 04:49 AM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Wikipedia says the Australian continent is the oldest, driest, flattest inhabited one on Earth.
BUT - it does rain in many areas and the tropical parts get hit with cyclones.
Naturally I make sure my XJ-Ss never have to deal with rain.
If Jaguar had used a low shear strength Loctite or similar the splines would have been protected and easy to pull apart.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:48 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 399 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Thorsen
While I have the rear cage out of the car I'm going to replace the axle shaft U-joints. I have the center nut loosened and I applied penetrating oil to the splines and let that soak overnight. This morning I am using my bearing remover to try to push the shaft out of the hub but it's not moving.
While it's under tension from the bearing remover I've tried tapping the center bolt of the bearing remover towards the hub, and I tried tapping the wheel hub away from the hub carrier. Neither produced any movement.

Any suggestions?

Snap but it did get it off in the end but fought all the way

Old 01-10-2022, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Thorsen

Any suggestions?

These stories worry me, lol...

I was thinking about U-jounts at one point but this, and resetting things, stopped me in my tracks. I removed the shields around the axles, pumped them up with grease, did the same - pumping grease into the ABS hole (don't know if it made it to where it was supposed to go) and acted like I did something. Yeah, I worry, and I am always listening for the tell tale sound. So much so that I will allow the car to warm a little more than usual before putting it into gear in the AM, hoping that the light clunk one might get when putting a car into gear on warm up RPMs might give me some added time with U joints. I don't (but do) wanna go there.