XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Up in Flames

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
A well laced harness is a thing of great beauty ...
+1

Unfortunately, it's a bit of a lost art. Even finding good explanations of the techniques as applied to use in data centers can be hard. Then, finding sources for waxed lacing cable ...

Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Same as SARC and MrTalkRadio, I have had my XJS go up in flames. Hang in there man. File an insurance claim.

I think only current Ferraris and Porsche 928s catch fire as often as our beloved XJS.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Received 194 Likes on 109 Posts

@ Grant Francis thank you! I will get right on that!

@ M90power I really appreciate that, fortunately, I picked up a parts car a while back so I *think* have everything I need

@plums won't the insurance company just total my car? And won't that put my car permanently on the books as a "Salvage Title"?And thanks for the link!

@mrtalkradio That is the exact feeling and I'm glad you were able to get your car back up and running *fairly* quickly. I followed your thread and was rooting for you the whole time even though I had nothing helpful to add since my car isn't Marelli!

@Doug I've started removing the burnt bits and have been photo documenting everything. I thought an air compressor would get the majority of the fire retardant off but it is sticking to everything. tips on getting my engine to look like its not covered under 50 years of greenish dust? Thankfully I have a parts car and thankfully it didn't get past the bulkhead.

@steveinfrance thanks for the support! I look forward to do some "dressing up" of the engine bay through this whole debacle.

@Sarc I am glad you too were able to fix your car! Everyone on this forum has made my problem feel a lot less insurmountable. And I'm in Napa, made a lot of trips to san jose in the jag on business up until last year when our business went through restructuring.

@Flint Ironstag I'm concerned that filing an insurance claim is going to put my car on the DMV records as a salvage vehicle. And since I have most everything I need from my parts car now, it shouldn't cost much, It will only take ages because I'm so busy.

Less than a month ago I installed my refurbished interior into the car. Time to take it back out to remove the ECU harness. YAY.

I still don't know how this whole chain reaction type thing happened which caused the 12v getting fed to ground, melting the ground wires, then melting the other wires in close proximity, and thus causing massive shorts. Hopefully this will become clear as I sort through all the wiring.

But really, what kind of electrical fault on the ECU harness sends 12v to the ground?

Thanks to all!
Lou

Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
+1

Unfortunately, it's a bit of a lost art. Even finding good explanations of the techniques as applied to use in data centers can be hard. Then, finding sources for waxed lacing cable ...
http://www.specialized.net/Specializ...lacing%20twine

I've probably got a grubby roneo'd sheet with the knots - but surprisingly Wikipedia gives some good references
Cable lacing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the OP is doing his own harness he might want to use lacing tape to reduce chafing on vibration - that wasn't a problem with Mr. Radford's amplifiers.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

SOO glad no one was hurt! My worst nightmare! I've only had my 88 XJS for about 4 months and these stories worry me to death. I envy anyone that can do the wiring and engine work you guys can, as I'm more of a body, interior guy. Just starting to educate myself on the important part of the car!! (My brother's the mechanic!)
My car runs stunningly now but is there any advice on specific things to check and keep an eye on regarding the engine fires??

Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

My condolences on your loss as well. And I'm also very glad to hear that no one was hurt.
I had been putting off buying a fire extinguisher for a few months now but went out and bought one yesterday.
Looking forward to hearing when you are back on the road.
Bill