XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Upgraded radio now heat not blowing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Qgregg
Hey guys 1988 jaguar xjs as you all know theres not much room for a new radio much deeper than the original.....well i put one in and now the blower is not engaging.....before i take on the task of removing the radio. Do you guys have any clue for what i should look for ?
i can say this after doing some listening, key to on position temp knob going from heat to air every two clicks of the knob i hear what sounds like a tiny motor for a few seconds. this happens all the way till knob is turned to limit......now onto the blower speed knob. from off to low there is a tiny motor sound along with a flap. sound...nothing between low...med..auto..high...but between high and defrost same noise...to the dial that is between red and blue arrrow...during the process of moving the dial about three positions i hear the tiny motor sound.......bet blower fans never come on........

Old 02-23-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,162 Likes on 751 Posts

i can say this after doing some listening, key to on position temp knob going from heat to air every two clicks of the knob i hear what sounds like a tiny motor for a few seconds. this happens all the way till knob is turned to limit......now onto the blower speed knob. from off to low there is a tiny motor sound along with a flap. sound...nothing between low...med..auto..high...but between high and defrost same noise...to the dial that is between red and blue arrrow...during the process of moving the dial about three positions i hear the tiny motor sound.......bet blower fans never come on........
At a loss here, but l would double check the #5 fuse on R/H side fuse box and #10 fuse on L/H side fuse box. They get a little confusing because of the changes between RHD and LHD vehicles.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by baxtor
At a loss here, but l would double check the #5 fuse on R/H side fuse box and #10 fuse on L/H side fuse box. They get a little confusing because of the changes between RHD and LHD vehicles.
Update yes fuses are good. Just for the hell of it with ignition on fan on high i bumped blower housing several times with the palm of my hand and it started spinning.....at least it sounds like it. With my ear up to the housing i can hear what sounds to be a fan really really REALLY Struggling to spin yet turning.......help i have a little hope just hearing this.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,162 Likes on 751 Posts

Update yes fuses are good. Just for the hell of it with ignition on fan on high i bumped blower housing several times with the palm of my hand and it started spinning.....at least it sounds like it. With my ear up to the housing i can hear what sounds to be a fan really really REALLY Struggling to spin yet turning.......help i have a little hope just hearing this.
Might just have to bite the bullet and remove a fan for checking. Maybe there is some kind of obstruction in the fans, ie. ex rodent nest or similar.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by baxtor
Might just have to bite the bullet and remove a fan for checking. Maybe there is some kind of obstruction in the fans, ie. ex rodent nest or similar.
Before doing any more tearing out my thought is to take a high power shop vac and pull the blue duct and try to vaccum out, then open the metal flap on the housing and vaccume it out....this next step i may not do if the above works....to drill a small hole size of dw40 straw to get some lubricant in there, looking for pictures of the guts so id know where and where not to drill...can fill the hole with caulking....any thoughts on this ?

Old 02-24-2016, 05:08 PM

Before doing any more tearing out my thought is to take a high power shop vac and pull the blue duct and try to vaccum out, then open the metal flap on the housing and vaccume it out....this next step i may not do if the above works....to drill a small hole size of dw40 straw to get some lubricant in there, looking for pictures of the guts so id know where and where not to drill...can fill the hole with caulking....any thoughts on this ?
update pulled blue duct from motor housing. And found attached pic rambling around so pulled it out.....blower still running but slow..drives side guess i never paid attention it hasnt been working bumped it several times and it started running really well. Guess my stereo install had nothing to do with the blowers.......

Old 02-24-2016, 05:16 PM

update pulled blue duct from motor housing. And found attached pic rambling around so pulled it out.....blower still running but slow..drives side guess i never paid attention it hasnt been working bumped it several times and it started running really well. Guess my stereo install had nothing to do with the blowers.......

Was also able to spray some lithium grease in the housing but i dont think it really got to where its needed........