XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:12 PM
Received 10,518 Likes on 6,948 Posts

Paul,

I removed 13 both sides, well they fell apart, so removal was simple.

The pipes 7 & 8 were sad, so new made in 2". The original is 1 3/4" from memory. That part was FUN, not, but I found a guy who knew his trade, and could look way outside the square.

The mid mufflers were replaced with standard stainless units, coz we had it all apart.

The front pipes etc were left as is, as there was nothing wrong with them.

The pipes 7 & 8 were made from steel.

That was in 1995, and still there today.

You DONT have Cats on the Goose, so that discussion for you is not related.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
orangeblossom (03-26-2016), paulyling (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 06:22 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Cheers guys. This has been very helpful as always

The mid mufflers were replaced with standard stainless units, coz we had it all apart.
Grant do you mean you just changed the mid mufflers for stainless straight pipe or stainless mufflers?

I removed 13 both sides, well they fell apart, so removal was simple
And when you removed 13 did you just install straight pipe or new silencers?

So I am assuming in most cases (except ronbros) no changes were made to the front section?

Front:

Guys thanks again for all your advice.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:33 AM
Received 10,518 Likes on 6,948 Posts

Paul,

My Mid mufflers were replaced with New Mid mufflers. Lukey brand in the day. They were a direct fit muffler, not a universal adapted to suit.

The rear monsters were replaced with the "Hotdogs" I mentioned in my first repy to this thread.

The chrome ends were simply my idea on the day.

The thru cradle pipes were my idea, as I wanted better exhaust breathing, and were custom bent.

You MUST think of this as 2 X 6cylinder engines. The exhaust is NOT siamesed. It is RH and LH specific. 2" is more than enough for a 2.65ltr engine, so 2" each side is more than adequate.

That drawing of the front sections in your last post is NOT what your car has. We did not get Cats here until very late in 1987.

We have what you see asked for regularly on the Forum, and are known as Euro front pipes.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (03-27-2016), orangeblossom (03-26-2016), paulyling (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I live in South Carolina, we do not have vehicle inspections. I would love to remove the cats. I don't like the blockage or the fire possibilities. I was wondering if a shop can do this legally or do I have to do it myself?
Also, does anyone have thoughts about the complete S.S. systems. They are expensive, but would take care of the exhaust issue forever.
...Jimmy

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,332 Likes on 5,476 Posts

Originally Posted by JayCee
Also, does anyone have thoughts about the complete S.S. systems. They are expensive, but would take care of the exhaust issue forever.
...Jimmy

A stainless system, as long as it is good quality grade of stainless and thick enough gauge, is a great idea, and really does take care of the problem permanently. I have a UK make, Bell, downpipes and all back from there, no cats, and it is 15 or so years old and as sound today as it was when it was new, also carries a lifetime guarantee (for what that is actually worth).
BELL Steel UK Fabrication Processes & Manufacture
The OEM exhaust has got quite a lot of stainless components but they are not very heavy gauge and the downpipes are not stainless. In the UK there are places that can make up an exhaust in stainless to your specification, maybe they have such a service in your area?
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (03-26-2016), paulyling (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Paul,

My Mid mufflers were replaced with New Mid mufflers. Lukey brand in the day. They were a direct fit muffler, not a universal adapted to suit.

The rear monsters were replaced with the "Hotdogs" I mentioned in my first repy to this thread.

The chrome ends were simply my idea on the day.

The thru cradle pipes were my idea, as I wanted better exhaust breathing, and were custom bent.

You MUST think of this as 2 X 6cylinder engines. The exhaust is NOT siamesed. It is RH and LH specific. 2" is more than enough for a 2.65ltr engine, so 2" each side is more than adequate.

That drawing of the front sections in your last post is NOT what your car has. We did not get Cats here until very late in 1987.

We have what you see asked for regularly on the Forum, and are known as Euro front pipes.

Cheers Guys.

Great info Grant, thanks mate.

I am still a little confused about monsters and hot dogs though ha ha. You just mean (13) on the rear diagram? The rear cylindrical mufflers right? (sorry ) I googled hotdog muffler:

I am guessing the monsters are the more basic/standard cylindrical type and are not as good performance wise as the hotdogs correct?

Also, would this be more correct for Front Exhaust on pre 87 XJS's in Oz(ie. Blue Goose)?:

Last edited by paulyling; 03-26-2016 at 11:47 AM.
orangeblossom (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
Cheers Guys.

Great info Grant, thanks mate.

I am still a little confused about monsters and hot dogs though ha ha. You just mean (13) on the rear diagram? The rear cylindrical mufflers right? (sorry ) I googled hotdog muffler:

I am guessing the monsters are the more basic/standard cylindrical type and are not as good performance wise as the hotdogs correct?

Also, would this be more correct for Front Exhaust on pre 87 XJS's in Oz(ie. Blue Goose)?:

Just opposite item 7 & 8 is a dent in the Pipe, like it hasn't been formed on a proper Pipe Bender.

This must cut down on Performance, does anyone know why this is? and can you buy an Exhaust without those flat bends.

paulyling (03-26-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,332 Likes on 5,476 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Just opposite item 7 & 8 is a dent in the Pipe, like it hasn't been formed on a proper Pipe Bender.

This must cut down on Performance, does anyone know why this is? and can you buy an Exhaust without those flat bends.

OB
I am pretty sure it was put there to ensure clearance from the gearbox corner, or something else that it might foul that pipe. Not all systems have it. Effect on performance = Nil. Any exhaust restriction (other than a semi-blockage) is really only affecting anything at wide open throttle AND high revs. That little dent will make no difference at all. That is also the reason why for road cars the standard exhaust manifolds are fine as well, until you get to racing speeds and revs.
In my experience, the restrictions that do affect road performance are more on the inlet side. In my own car's case at least, the AJ6 Engineering large throttles, adjusted ECU and extra air intakes into the air boxes did make a huge difference to the car's performance on the road. That is where to do your money.
Greg

The following 4 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (03-27-2016), orangeblossom (03-27-2016), paulyling (03-27-2016), ronbros (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB
I am pretty sure it was put there to ensure clearance from the gearbox corner, or something else that it might foul that pipe. Not all systems have it. Effect on performance = Nil. Any exhaust restriction (other than a semi-blockage) is really only affecting anything at wide open throttle AND high revs. That little dent will make no difference at all. That is also the reason why for road cars the standard exhaust manifolds are fine as well, until you get to racing speeds and revs.
In my experience, the restrictions that do affect road performance are more on the inlet side. In my own car's case at least, the AJ6 Engineering large throttles, adjusted ECU and extra air intakes into the air boxes did make a huge difference to the car's performance on the road. That is where to do your money.
Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks

I better start saving up then, those mods are quite expensive.

paulyling (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 190 Likes on 151 Posts

I live in South Carolina, we do not have vehicle inspections. I would love to remove the cats. I don't like the blockage or the fire possibilities. I was wondering if a shop can do this legally or do I have to do it myself?
...Jimmy

Federal law prohibits removing any emissions parts

The following 2 users liked this post by swayne:
orangeblossom (03-27-2016), paulyling (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 501 Likes on 317 Posts

The QuickCat High Performance Jaguar XJS V12 Air Intake kit from V12 Performance

this is a great place for research , and to buy parts from

BB

The following 2 users liked this post by Brake buster:
Old 03-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by swayne
Federal law prohibits removing any emissions parts
I hope there aren't any federal agents on this board...or a lot of people are going to get arrested.

Cheers...Jimmy

The following 3 users liked this post by JayCee:
orangeblossom (03-27-2016), paulyling (03-27-2016), ronbros (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Brake buster
The QuickCat High Performance Jaguar XJS V12 Air Intake kit from V12 Performance

BB
The QuickCat™ high performance air intake kit from V12 Performance™ is a high quality, easy to install performance upgrade for Jaguar XJS V12 cars that really works. The very restrictive XJS V12 factory air boxes are equipped with 1.5-inch diameter intake horns and dense air filters that significantly and unnecessarily limit the amount of air available to the engine, limiting horsepower especially at higher revs. To solve this problem, the rugged, all aluminum QuickCat™ kit (also available in stainless steel) features 2.5-inch intake tubes with K&N high flow air filters that allow your XJS V12 to breathe all of the air it needs to be its best. You’ll experience quite noticeable (15 to 20 HP) performance gains at higher revs (highway speeds and kickdown acceleration) with a pleasing but refined “sporting note” that adds a real sports car sound to your XJS.
No permanent changes to the car are required and the factory air boxes can be easily refitted if necessary. Installation is a simple bolt-on, 30 to 45 minute operation. The only tools needed are a 13mm socket or box wrench/spanner, Allen wrench and a screwdriver
Wow that is really cool. Does anybody know if they sell a similar kit in Australia?

Alternately does this place deliver to Oz I wonder?

Still, the only thing I can see is it is still sucking air from the same place as the original air intakes. I am currently planning to do a mod (a Grant Francis invention) to suck air from the wheel wall where it is cooler.

Has anybody had this mod done as per picture below, and did you find much improvement?

Last edited by paulyling; 03-27-2016 at 10:51 AM.
orangeblossom (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, tis against Federal law, EPA, to mess with emmsion stuff.
How, any enforcement is done is a huge mystery. At least to me.

But, a pro shop dare not do it. well, mebbe some.

In test states, it is enforced, locally by state law. In others, just more garbage on the books.

I've no issue with modern cats, except they cost a pretty penny.

So, much so, that a pair was caught after making a good buck stealing them off cars in parking lots. Just pick an SUV, room to get under. Cordless recip saw and off they come.

Recycle places buy them for the precious metal. Some apparently take them from the legitimate sources and others, whomever!!!

Way back when, I got a top flight cat at a garage sale. It's owner took it off his new Ford truck. I removed the older tech pancake style from my IHC and had a "cat back" exhaust made. Much better. although, I guess the muffler shop bent the rues a bit. Used cat install of a not spec'd unit!!! but, actualy, much cleaner! And, the IHC truck engne, dirty by design, needed the help.

Better but illegal, is that a conundrum?

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Old 03-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

They don't test here in NE Florida and if they did my car would most likely pass. Mine are still in place, just "gutted". So they would pass a "visual" inspection. As far as people knowing? I could care less. On hour of run time on my aircraft would emit enough crap then my XJS "cat less" running for 200 years straight could emit A lot of nonsense if you ask me.

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
Old 03-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Received 501 Likes on 317 Posts

Wow that is really cool. Does anybody know if they sell a similar kit in Australia?

Alternately does this place deliver to Oz I wonder?

Still, the only thing I can see is it is still sucking air from the same place as the original air intakes. I am currently planning to do a mod (a Grant Francis invention) to suck air from the wheel wall where it is cooler.

Has anybody had this mod done as per picture below, and did you find much improvement?

yes, i have , as in my previous pictures earlier in the thread, they sound and work great, but as mentioned, they do take the air from the same place the original trumpets do , but i found no issues with ' hot air '

i also modified the fuel cooler so it runs under the TB and modified the fuel return pipe , this helps clean up the look of the bay imho

IMG_0053 by MyPix on Talk Photography

BB

Last edited by Brake buster; 03-27-2016 at 12:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brake buster:
Old 03-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Wow that is really cool. Does anybody know if they sell a similar kit in Australia? Alternately does this place deliver to Oz I wonder? Still, the only thing I can see is it is still sucking air from the same place as the original air intakes. I am currently planning to do a mod (a Grant Francis invention) to suck air from the wheel wall where it is cooler. Has anybody had this mod done as per picture below, and did you find much improvement?
I have those on my car and while they sound great when you punch it they don't really do much in the way of performance gains. They pull hot air in from the bay so not the greatest design. The 5.3 is only going to use as much air as the throttle body inlet will allow, adding a bigger entry by way of air-cleaner isn't going to gain anything. V-12 performance is a middle man operation, he's not doing any research and development he's just having someone build up this stuff and selling it. The 6liter intake setup would be much more desirable and pulls cooler air in from the front top of the radiator. Cooler air is going to add power gains vs pulling in more/hot air that is stifled by the throttle plate size.

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
Old 03-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Hot intake air !. Not good. My "lump" has a similar intake.
Not in a "cool" box, just engine bay temps.

Interesting "knock off" of a well advertised brand. Semi-conical
in shape, but wit an inverted cone at the small end. More filtered
intake surface. I like it. It is sans sonic chambers, so, on throttle there is a "whoosh". Unpleasant to the gentry, pleases me!!!

Off to Easter dinner !!!!

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Old 03-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brake buster

BB
Cheers BB

Your Engines Cleaner than that one!

paulyling (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 190 Likes on 151 Posts

I hope there aren't any federal agents on this board...or a lot of people are going to get arrested.

Cheers...Jimmy

Your question was can a shop remove my converters, the answer is no federal law prohibits removing emissions items if you personally remove them there could be consequences such as failed inspections although SC has no emission standards other locales do and could make it hard to sell the vehicle in the future.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ just originally answered your question with the simplest answer which apparently wasn't the responce you wanted to hear

Wayne

Quick Reply: Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl