XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

V12 Loom HELP needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts
Default V12 Loom HELP needed

Guys
I am helping a friend fix the ignition on his Lucas v12 HE 1988. The dizzy was jammed and the plugs were old, etc etc. We also did the thermostats and leaking crosspipe hoses. In fact he was lucky not to have cooked the engine as it threw out coolant a goodly rate.
Anyway, after endless grief with sheered bolts etc etc all back together. BUT there is a piece of loom we disconnected that I cannot see where its connection are! Old age, stupidity, usual problems.
The injector loom was cable tied to the A bank top hose. It seems that another separate two-wire bit of loom was also clipped to the top hose. This second bit of loom has two wires:
One is Yellow with black stripe,
One is either a pale pink or a pale brown, solid. Each ends in a separate bullet connector. I CANNOT find what, if anything, they were connected to! They end just about level with the A bank thermostat housing area. There appaear to be no other loom pieces that I can see floating free.

Please would someone with a pre facelift HE kindly look at this area and see if they too have this two wire loom, and see what if anything it connects to?
Thanks Greg

Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Mine has a cruise control harness in that area and at least one of the wires is yellow/black. Not sure about the other wire. I'm away from the car at the moment.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Not sure which end you are mixed up on

They are coming from the LH relay on the radiator support (idle relay?) One goes to the supplementary air valve, the thing pulled out of the air box, and the other I think winds up under the intake back to the loom at the back of the fuel rail. Maybe the other side of the supplementary air valve plugs into the same bit, I didn't really trace it.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 10-30-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Greg in France (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Doug, SideScrollin,
Thanks for the quick replies. I am about halfway there now, as follows:
The two wires from the radiator panel that I am talking about, that were tied along the A bank top hose, join (i) the loom from under the intake and (ii) the Telecamit extra air valve as shown in SideS's photo. Just also as Doug remembered.

The two under intake loom wires: one seems to be pale brown and one darker brown. I now realise that one connects to the air valve, and one to one of the two wires I am asking about. What I do not know is: which goes to what?

I am guessing the pale brown wires might join together (ie loom wire from the radiator panel and loom wire from under the intake). Can anyone confirm this please?

If so, that leaves the darker brown under-intake loom wire and the yellow and black one from the radiator area. These would go to the air valve and it does not matter which of the air valve leads they go to. So again, could someone please confirm the wire colours that go the A bank air valve?

Thanks again
Greg

Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Looking at it again, I would call it light brown with a white tracer and brown with a white tracer. Coming from the rad support you have yellow /b and light brown /w.

The light brown/wh matchup, as you said. The brown/white goes to the other side of the air valve. Both leads coming off the air valve are black.

The connections are off-center on the air valve. If you are looking at the valve from the back, with the terminals below center-line, the yellow/black goes into the RH side (you can see this in the last photo) and the brown/white connects to the LH side.

Like you said, likely doesn't matter but I thought I'd mention it if you are trying to hook it all up as it was.

So:
Light brown/w<--->Light brown/w
Brown/w<--->Black (air valve)
Yellow/b<--->Black (air valve)

Old 10-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

That info is fantastic SS, I am really grateful, just what I needed. As you guessed, the airvalve does not mind which way the current flows.

What I did when I tried to put all the tubes etc etc back, was to connect the under intake loom to the air valve, having forgotten about the loom from the radiator side. Then I saw it, and started looking for a loose bit of loom. After a bit the penny dropped, thanks to Dog and a PM from Grant.

On my own car, I have removed all this stuff, so my own was no help. Once again, thanks guys.
Greg

Grant Francis (10-30-2017)