XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

valve clearances again

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:25 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts
Default valve clearances again

just done my tappets again as I had one which somehow was 0014" and tapping a bit, I actually had to change them all to get them at a uniform 0011" annoying thing is the price of shims, but with a bit of homework I found SNG Barratt do them at half price but still work out expensive as I have 20 spares now, the other annoying this is a nut went down the timing chain and hit the sump with a definite clunk, so that can stay there for the time being. will get the cam covers powder coated while there off but not red, is the centre vac pipe that comes off the balance pipe and disappears down the gearbox easy to change,

Old 11-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Originally Posted by rgp
is the centre vac pipe that comes off the balance pipe and disappears down the gearbox easy to change,
Rex
If this last is a question, the answer is no. The flexible from the balance pipe joins the metal vac tube to the ECU about 1/3 the way along the gearbox bell just to the LHS of the top of the bell, and thereafter runs along the propshaft tunnel. If you keep the OEM routing, setup, it is a gearbox out job to change the flexible.
Greg

Old 11-05-2017, 01:26 PM
rgp
Veteran Member

I wont bother with that then Greg. Cheers for your input.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:10 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Greg
When I had my E jags and did a valve job, I laid out all the spacer (shims) did my calculations and then brought them to a machine shop and had them milled to the proper diameter. That way I could salvage the larger shims. At that time, if I remember correctly, it cost about $2.00 a shim to have them milled

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by afterburner1
Greg
When I had my E jags and did a valve job, I laid out all the spacer (shims) did my calculations and then brought them to a machine shop and had them milled to the proper diameter. That way I could salvage the larger shims. At that time, if I remember correctly, it cost about $2.00 a shim to have them milled
I have a sort of idea the shims are case hardened. Wouldn't that mill off the hardening?
Greg

Old 11-06-2017, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rgp
annoying thing is the price of shims, but with a bit of homework I found SNG Barratt do them at half price but still work out expensive as I have 20 spares
How much are they at SNG Rex?
Greg

Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Another 2 tricks from a dark past . . . and a word of advice.

1) Into a small palm size block of wood, use a bit of shim diameter to drill hole somewhat shallower than thin shim . . . then insert shim and polish on oiled slipstone . . . first on course grit to quickly shed a few thou, then on fine great for final polish;

2) Mike both the central wear point from valve stem and perimeter . . . then simply invert shim to close clearance by that difference.

The word of advice . . . accumulating a cigarette tin of spare shims is no great hardship but comes with a huge advantage . . . sharing with and among other Jaguar owners is a great benefit.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Rex
If this last is a question, the answer is no. The flexible from the balance pipe joins the metal vac tube to the ECU about 1/3 the way along the gearbox bell just to the LHS of the top of the bell, and thereafter runs along the propshaft tunnel. If you keep the OEM routing, setup, it is a gearbox out job to change the flexible.
Greg
Its not easy, but it can be done in situ. If you're not flexible and fairly thin then it might require borrowing a teenager.

I recently replaced my flexible line and the only really difficult difficult issue is placing and tightening the clamp at the flexible to metal join. It's beautifully placed and spaciously accomodated. Interesting design choice for sure!

rgp (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:37 PM
rgp
Veteran Member
Default price

Originally Posted by Greg in France
How much are they at SNG Rex?
Greg
there £2.46 plus vat but I was told afterwards the the tech guy in the JEC sells second hand ones for £1 each plus vat. Barratts look identical to jaguar one with regard the writing on them