XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Went to my first ever car show today

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Went to my first ever car show today

So my mechanic called me yesterday to tell me that the MGs on the Rocks show was happening today just up the road and that I might enjoy going, and oh, they have classes for other British marques if I wanted to enter my car.

Since it was a gorgeous day and I'd never been to a car show I decided to drive up and check it out. My husband did some quick touch ups and cleaned the rims of brake dust - I did at least want my girl to look appropriate - and I figured I'd go, see some cool cars and come home.

When I arrived all of the volunteers at the various direction points, parking, etc asked if I was going to enter my car. I explained I'd never been to a show so I was just checking it out. After the third person said "you really should enter this car" I decided why not and asked what would I have to do? When they said "park with your bumper on the yellow line" and enjoy the day it seemed easy enough. So I entered. I'm so ignorant of car show etiquette that they had to literally explain to me what to do - to the extent of "look for the white paper with the spaces for the car number and class in the envelope" type explain :-).

The very helpful volunteers directed me to where the Jaguar class was - there were 8 or 9 cars, 4 of them less than 10 years old, an XJ6, two E-types and my XJS. All the adults showing cars or attending got to vote on all the classes and they placed the top 3 cars by popular vote.

Very, very cool cars at the show - mostly MGs and Triumphs, some Minis, a few Morgans - lots of things I'd never seen. I was chatting with my mechanic (he was there with a Triumph and an MG TF, I think it was, from 1954) when they started calling the winners. I did listen to the Jag class - we thought maybe my car might come in 3rd since it was one of the older ones there, but it didn't. However...it placed 2nd! She beat one of the E-Types, even (the other one, both black 1970 models, won)!

I was so unaware of protocol that I wasn't anywhere near the Jags for the announcements, even. This show likes to take photos of the top 3 and I did at least get a giggle when I apologized for having to run over, but explained it was my first time at a car show and I was talking to my mechanic on the other side of the field.

So I got a nice stand up award and had fun. I'm thinking of going again next year, maybe actually preparing a bit (not having to stuff my shopping bag in the trunk upon arrival) and doing a cocktail hour setup to show her off a bit. I certainly never expected to take a 2nd place, but I think my car was very happy about it. How do I know? ALL of the gauges actually worked on the way home at the same time ;-).

Attached Thumbnails Went to my first ever car show today-2013-mgs-rocks-show.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by gkazimir:
LnrB (07-02-2022), Mkii250 (07-02-2022), Sarc (09-29-2013), watto700 (07-05-2022)
Old 09-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

LOL! Congrats Gina, nice job and appropriate that your girl thanked you in the proper way

Car shows and Concours can be a lot of fun and you will see some truly beautiful cars. I'll be showing my girl at one next weekend

Cheers,

Allan

The following users liked this post:
gkazimir (09-28-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Great story! Congratulations.
Time to start up a trophy room in the house?

Bill

gkazimir (09-30-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Once the show bug bites it will never quite be good enough.

Well done on your first time out and great story.

gkazimir (09-30-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Once the show bug bites it will never quite be good enough.
Heh heh, too true Jim. Especially when you see all the other immaculately presented Jags!!

Cheers,

Allan

The following 2 users liked this post by AllanG:
gkazimir (09-30-2013), jimbov8 (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Great story! Your car looks quite at home beside the E-type :-) There is just something magical about a red XJS.........

I think this is one of the things about XJSes that make them so special..... everyone gravitates towards them. I see the same thing when we run our regular Bay Area Jaguar runs here. Most folks tend to fuss over the XJSes more than other cars.

The other thing I have found about Jaguar owners in general is they tend to be real nice folks and fun to hang out with.

I'm waiting for your next post asking whats the best way to clean the inside of your exhausts ready for your next car show :-)

gkazimir (09-30-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Well done Gina! and an interesting report, you need to strive for 1st next time. (Worth a bigger pic I think)

The following 3 users liked this post by Norri:
gkazimir (09-30-2013), LnrB (07-02-2022), Mkii250 (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 04:54 AM
Received 1,040 Likes on 605 Posts

This is not a made up story. I was a charter pilot in western Queensland in the mid 1960s
In the early 1960s a western Queensland grazier was in town for the Brisbane "Exhibition" which is the name of the annual state agricultural show. His name was Pat and he owned a sheep station near Cunnamulla which carried 20,000 head of sheep
He decided that he needed a new car as the Pontiac he was driving was getting a bit tatty.
Pat was a real "bushie" and wore stockmen's heavy cotton shirts, jodpurs which are a bit like jeans, a platted leather belt with a pocket knife pouch and an Akubra hat which is similar to a Stetson..
He went into the Ford dealer and was eyeing off a new Ford.. He was ignored by the sales staff. Eventually he approached a salesman and asked "how much for cash"
The salesman replied "more than you can afford".
Pat then went to the GMH dealer who was primarily selling Holdens but also had an imported Chevrolet on the floor..
He asked for the price of the Chev and how much for cash and when told, calmly peeled off the cash and bought the car. He reckoned the sales staff member nearly had a heart attack.
After registration etc. he picked up the Chev next day and dropped in to the Ford dealer 'just to teach them a lesson".
This is all true. My employer at the time bought the Pontiac off Pat. Pat also had a hangar at Cunnamulla aerodrome as well as one on his property for his private Cessna 182
He had a small 1950s English ford Prefect in the hangar for use as a town car and we used to give it a run once a week to keep the 6 volt battery charged
I borrowed the Prefect with his approval for a few days while I had my MK7 Jag .flywheel off to be machined for a new ring gear.
Pat was always generous and great believer in "how much for cash"

LnrB (07-02-2022)