XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Default AC compressor shaft seal replaced.

AC has been getting weaker and seemed to be leaking from the compressor shaft seal. Turns out there was basically 0" pressure.
Ordered a seal and installation tool. Found the seal for a SD709 does NOT work but that one for the SD7H15 (R134A) does.
Also replaced the low and high side charge port seals, just in case and they were only $5, screw off, screw on.
Used a $30 vacuum venturi to reduce it to -28" and then charged.
Now get COLD air and condensation on the lines.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-06-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Got a tank of that delicious high-octane, non-oxygenated gas and proceeded to burn quite a bit of it.

Then I went to condition the leather... with less than spectacular results. I don't think I'll be coming back to Lexol.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New drive train and more

Hi, new to forum.
I bought a flamenco red coupe 4.0 about three years ago. About 83k on it in very good condition. I am having a shop here in Milwaukee put in a Ford twin turbo v6 ecoboost ( around 400 hp,420 ft/lbs) and 6 spd auto. for some pics visit Bennett coachworks at facebook. I will post more pics after engine is in hopefully next few weeks. Lots of interior upgrades on the way.

Flint Ironstag (07-20-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

It's not specific to my XJS (although she will benefit from it!) but today I decided to tidy up a few of the items in my garage.

I've been meaning to recommission my bench grinder, bench polisher and sand-blasting cabinet for some time and the rain today gave me an excuse.

So, the bench grinder got a new smooth grinding wheel and a wire brush (I've always found that more useful than using 2 grinding wheels).

The bench polisher is derived from an spare bench grinder that I had. Removal of the outer guards and grinding wheels, then fitment of a couple of taper mandrels with coarse and fine polishing wheels. I then bought 2 buckets for £1 each from B&Q, cut them up and fitted them as splash guards held in place by the screws of the inner guards. Cheap as chips and they do a great job! As you know, the polishing wheels can throw up quite a bit of c**p from the polish bars.

The sand-blasting cabinet was treated to new door seals courtesy of a 2 metre length of closed cell foam and new gauntlets (old ones just disintegrated over the years). I then found an old vacuum and plumbed that in (via a Mini radiator hose!) to the rear air outlet, to help disperse the inevitable dust clouds. A moisture trap on the end of the airline input completed the upgrades.

Next jobs...Buy some new salts for my home-made nickel plating outfit. Then check out which is the best cleaning solution these days to put in my Parts Washer.

And then I'll start pulling some bits off of the XJS to clean, polish and plate!

Paul

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?-dscf0443.jpg   What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?-dscf0444.jpg   What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?-dscf0441.jpg  

Last edited by ptjs1; 07-12-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Today I tried to figure out why my car's been running hot. It's been reading just over N normally, and occasionally spiking to halfway between N and H when in stop and go traffic, but a good run will usually lower the temp a bit. The engine doesn't feel particularly hot, there don't appear to be any unusual hot spots, and the coolant is full and clean. My next steps will be to clean out the front of the radiator (pretty filthy), replace the thermostats, and clean the contacts on the back of the gauge cluster - just in case.

If I've still got the problem, I'll move on to boiling out the radiator, flushing the system, and replacing every single hose I can find.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member

Stargazer XJS,

I know that you're not asking for help on this thread but I bet that your problem will be to do with fin corrosion on the lower third of your rad. Typical XJS problem that prevents heat dissipation when car is in traffic and there is no airflow. As the airflow through the rad increases, the lack of fins are less of a problem and the temperature returns to normal. I think a new rad is on the cards!

Good luck

Paul

Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 PM

Thanks Paul, I'm definitely not turning away any help. I'll add the radiator to the list.

Also found my fan clutch is weaker than I thought and that dang front spoiler broke free...

Old 07-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Dropped the top and went for a 200 mile trip. Since I opened up the air intake spouts to three and half inches and run the new hoses on top of rad, I am getting much better fuel consumption about 24/ 25 miles per gallon with premium gas and clean filters. I am so happy when I get in that car.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by chriskindbooks
Dropped the top and went for a 200 mile trip. Since I opened up the air intake spouts to three and half inches and run the new hoses on top of rad, I am getting much better fuel consumption about 24/ 25 miles per gallon with premium gas and clean filters. I am so happy when I get in that car.
I was thinking about that myself, hacking off the stock spouts and then using a hole saw to ensure the new openings look right. I was also considering a grille of some kind for added piece of mind. How did you do it?

Old 07-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Ltd
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Red face Putting History Together

Today, printed off the applicable TSBs for my 94 six cylinder AJ6. Punched and put in binder. Printed out XJS model supplement for the 94. Punched and fitted to a three ring binder the AJ six diagnostic manual for the 94. Same with electrical.
Good stuff. Too hot to work or play.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled out the IACV today ready for a rebuild, removed the carpets couple of weeks ago as they were soaking, can't find a source of the water though!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Ltd
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Good chance it's coming ffom the air con. Drains plugged up?

Old 07-20-2015, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, where are these drains, ones in the wiper motor bay are all clear, had a look under the dash and found blue 2" hoses connected to ducting, so guess I mus be missing something!

Old 07-20-2015, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by xjstt
Hi, new to forum.
I bought a flamenco red coupe 4.0 about three years ago. About 83k on it in very good condition. I am having a shop here in Milwaukee put in a Ford twin turbo v6 ecoboost ( around 400 hp,420 ft/lbs) and 6 spd auto. for some pics visit Bennett coachworks at facebook. I will post more pics after engine is in hopefully next few weeks. Lots of interior upgrades on the way.
Dude, you HAVE to make a thread detailing this installation. Very interesting! Off to check out the Facebook page.

[edit] scrolled through their page but no XJS

Last edited by Flint Ironstag; 07-20-2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2015 xjs

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Dude, you HAVE to make a thread detailing this installation. Very interesting! Off to check out the Facebook page.

[edit] scrolled through their page but no XJS
They have 3 or 4 pics so far. They are one of the most capable shops in the country at doing these kind of special conversions. Ford racing has been dragging their feet on the ecu but they found someone who has a handle on it. Already has the front end re-bushing and bigger sway bar,which dramatically improves handling .Interior will have new burled walnut including stock steering wheel in wood with suede dash and quilted leather tunnel and door panels and suede headliner. Audio is custom discreet 5.1 with 2 long throw 2 long throw 8 inch subs in stock rear side ports ,1150 total watts . The mission, my take on what the xjs might be if it was introduced today .

Old 07-22-2015, 12:14 AM

I replaced a fuel pump. Out with the stock Lucas, in with the new Bosch. It hums a bit (the old one whined loudly), and I still have occasional hesitation, but the overall performance is much stronger and the engine seems to run cooler.

With dwindling sunlight, however, I wasn't able to dig into the surge tank. I think that'll be on the menu in the future.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Over the last 2 weekends, I removed the fuel injectors to clean them. I made up a device to turn the injectors on, using a 12v DC transformer I had laying around, and an old remote starter switch so I could turn the injector on with a press of a button. I turned my air compressor down to about 55 PSI, and used carburetor cleaner, brake cleaner, and WD40 to clean out the injectors, forcing the cleaner through in both directions with compressed air. I also replaced all of the hose in the high pressure fuel system, and adjusted the regulators to about 35 psi. With that I finally have the V12 running good. No more misfire under load, it is finally running as it should after spending the last 2 years fighting with many years of neglect. Hooray!

Greg in France (07-25-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Good job, it's nice when it all comes together.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Doug,

I love the idea of your home-made injector cleaner. Any chance of seeing some pics of the setup?

Paul

Old 07-23-2015, 08:17 PM

So today I bypassed my right fuel pressure regulator and locked myself in the car. Had to climb out the passenger's door. Also bought some hardware for a mod I intend to do - I mean to mount the microswitch for the kickdown alongside the fuel enrichment switch, and modify the arm to be triggered somewhere between the enrichment switch triggering and my foot going through the floor. Then I mean to wire up a switch so I can go between that and the stock kickdown switch, kind of as a 'poor man's sport mode'.

orangeblossom (07-29-2015)

Quick Reply: What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?